2 truths and a lie

by Kim on May 15, 2014

Have you ever played this game?

It’s one of those quirky icebreakers that pops in company meetings from time to time. Everyone shares 3 things about themselves, and the rest of the group has to decide which 2 things are true and which one is made-up.

Want to play?? Here are my 3 things:

1. Last night’s dinner was delicious.

20140514_184801

This is kind of a softball for anyone who follows me on Instagram (and if you’re not, what are you waiting for??), but we might as well ease into this whole thing.

I made this lemon piccata chicken, and it was…???

2. Crossover purses can be worn while pregnant, despite all the extra obstacles they have to, um, cross over.

20140514_120220
I was pretty concerned about this pre-purse-purchase, but I was suddenly so sick of my giant body bag purses and so ready for something more manageable that I decided I didn’t care if it looked weird.

3. After finding this 5 hair buns for moms tutorial on Pinterest, I can finally put my hair into a successful messy-yet-also-controlled-looking updo.

messy bun
So what’s your guess??

If you’ve been around this blog for awhile, it was probably a no-brainer.

#3 = clearly the lie. When it comes to hair, I’m completely hopeless. I read these tutorials, think it looks easy and I totally get it…and then, I’m alone in the bathroom and I turn into Edward Scissorhands. Just useless claws, banging against my head.

It doesn’t help that the girls doing the tutorials always have super voluminous, extra cooperative model hair…

Which means that #1 and #2 were true. The dinner was fabulous–highly recommend it!–and per your feedback on Instagram (thank you!), I think the crossover is doable during pregnancy. I’m liking this small purse thing so far–SO much less digging for keys!!

And in other exciting news: I’ve found a new podcast to fall in love with!

pview

The Paleo View is like Balanced Bites’ cousin, but with women who have both battled their way out of obesity and poor health using paleo.

They’re also women who have had kids, which is an extremely valuable perspective to me. I love the BB girls, but I’ll never forget when a viewer complained that she could only stomach crackers during her first trimester, thanks to severe food aversions, and the girls’ advice was to “definitely stop eating crackers.” You just can’t understand how intensely overpowering food aversions can be until you’ve been there. (But if you haven’t, you could at least pretend to take them seriously…)

Of course, one of the first episodes I wanted to hear from the PV was the pregnancy podcast, in which Sarah (the scientist) made a great point about why we don’t know more than we do about what’s safe during pregnancy.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion and/or level of comfort with certain things during pregnancy–caffeine, deli meats, teas and herbs, alcohol, etc. (My previous OB said a coffee a day and a glass of wine a week was A-OK, but some preggos would never touch either.)

The reality–as Sarah pointed out–is that we can’t actually test a lot of the things we’d like answers on, because who’s going to participate in those studies?? Like, here pregnant ladies, this might harm your babies but we just want to know for sure.

Right…duh.

That’s why most of our discoveries about pregnancy dangers happen by accident. Unfortunate, but also unavoidable.

This is probably applicable to way more than just pregnancy. Thanks to Google, we expect to find answers to anything and everything online–clear-cut, no-grey-area answers.

It’s hard to accept that maybe there really isn’t a clear-cut answer, and all we have to go by, in the end, is our gut.

Well that’s it for me! Make sure you stop back tomorrow–I have a sweet giveaway in the works, one that runners especially will appreciate. And there will be 3 WINNERS!

What have you been cooking lately?

Ladies, big purse or small?

If you have mastered the messy hair bun: please, teach me your ways.

See you tomorrow–

sig

emma @ be mom strong May 16, 2014 at 5:25 am

Everything with pregnancy and with nutrition are so wishy washy- because who wants to die or get sick from being the guinea pig?!

Have a great weekend!!

Oh and I stumbled across a post from you last year when i was researching POUNDFit. I was thinking of getting certified… me and my 100000 certifications problem. What do you think?
emma @ be mom strong recently posted…Real food protein smoothiesMy Profile

Kim May 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

Hmm well it was a very cool class, but I haven’t gone since, so I’m not sure how popular it is? I guess I’d try to feel out the interest in your area. Is it being offered where you are?

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome May 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I love that game! We used to do it in my teachers meetings. I thought number 3 was the lie because your hair looks like it’s the same texture as mine. Silky and fine which makes it hard to master any type of bun! I swear I want to shave it off on jump rope days at Crossfit! Drives me insane!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Glamping at El Capitan CanyonMy Profile

Kim May 16, 2014 at 8:37 am

YES that is exactly what the problem is! I don’t have a prayer unless my hair is a few days dirty and/or loaded with hair spray. And even then, it’s a miracle if I can get it to look right! So frustrating for a look that’s supposed to seem totally effortless. :)

Danielle May 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I’m also preggo, and looking for a nice, smaller purse. I think the cross body style looks good too! And any help you find with the messy bun, I’d live to hear!
Danielle recently posted…Plans for Next YearMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes May 15, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I used to love that game at sleepovers!! I love finding new awesome dinners – win. Cross body purses – can’t live without them. . . and a necessity with a toddler. and if you figure out how to do your hair like that, let me know, because then I’ll come over and you can teach me. . . I am the same way with my hair. Ponytail for the win.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Cinnamon Walnut Oat MuffinsMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I love, love, LOVE my cross-body purse. I don’t care how ridiculous it looks sometimes – it’s just so much more practical as a mom. It’s one less thing to carry and it’s so much easier to find things than my big bowling bag of a purse.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Weaning From BreastfeedingMy Profile

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine May 15, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I can’t do a messy bun to save my life! Maybe my hair is just so damn long and thin, but I don’t know, I might just be real lint inept!

Presley @ Run Pretty May 15, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I’ve got the messy part of the messy bun down. So far, no actual bun.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Rest Day + Glamping with Skinny CowMy Profile

Jade May 15, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I absolutely love both of those podcasts. And it’s true they both are awesome and same views but coming from different perspectives. Although I’m all caught up, it was last weeks Paleo View that they talked about struggles with maintenance. I just have so many good words to say about that podcast!
Jade recently posted…OTPYWG #7My Profile

Amanda May 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

We’ve been grilling these days! :-) Lots of brats and pork chops in particular. I’ve recently become a big purse kinda girl, and I love it! Mainly because the purse I found has enough pockets that I can keep all the things I want in there, but don’t have to dig through them every time I want my keys.
Amanda recently posted…Hershey Park {round 2}My Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 15, 2014 at 10:30 am

I’m terrible at getting my hair in any type of up do as well! I so wish I could, but I just don’t have the ability to do it no matter how hard I try. So annoying!

I’m a big purse girl for sure; although, when we’re going on a long trip somewhere or I’m going shopping, I opt for a smaller cross body bag. I like the hands-free option!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Totally Random Bits of Info #15My Profile