36 week bumpdate + second pregnancy thoughts

by Kim on August 6, 2014

Hi there!

So I’m extreeeemely late on this update—I’m actually just a couple days shy of 38 weeks now—but I still have my 36 week picture to show you, and I’m feeling about the same as I did two weeks ago, so I figured I’d go with it.

Just think of this as a 36-38 week update!

36 weeks

Here’s a little bit about how things are going right now:

Discomfort: Same stuff—lots of pelvic pain when I walk or lift too much. Some low back pain. I’m having a harder time every day getting comfortable in bed—weird that the place I usually think of as being the MOST comfortable is now the exact opposite!

I’ve also started getting some shooting pains down my legs, like the baby’s sitting on a nerve. I don’t remember this happening with pregnancy #1, but maybe I just blocked it out??

Oh, and if I don’t get to the bathroom immediately when I need to go, I start having contractions. So much fun! (haha)

Weight Gain: Ohhh boy—just a couple pounds shy of +40 at this point, depending on the day.

It’s funny—I remember having grandiose plans of staying in the +30 range this time around, but it turns out I don’t have as much control over that as I thought. I was definitely more active with this pregnancy, and much more careful about what I ate, and I’ve still gained about the same as I did with Mason.

I might never fully understand that, but I just have to believe that it’s what my body/baby wants and needs! It’s still not an unhealthy amount to gain, and I’m confident in my ability to lose it all postpartum, so who really cares, right?

Workouts: Still doing something almost daily (minus the last few days, when I was feeling inexplicably crappy). Strength training feels the best to me—I might use a bike or elliptical if I had access to them, but walking for any extended time is pretty uncomfortable at this point.

…Not that I’m always able to resist it. Last night, it was beautiful out, and I just had to take the bump for a spin around the block.

My view (haha):

20140805_203109

With a podcast for company, per usual.

And…yeah, I ended up paying for that little outing for the rest of the night in down-there discomfort. Maybe not my greatest idea, but it was fun at the time. (<—am I too old for that phrase? Yes.)

Movement: Slowing down a little as real estate is getting more and more limited in there. Still lots of foot jabs and hiccups.

Baby Prep: Almost there! I have the room more or less set up (minus some décor) and it’s on my To Do list for the weekend to dive into Mason’s baby clothes and get some of them washed and ready to go.

At this point, I’m actually thinking more about hospital bag prep. What should I pack again?? I honestly don’t know!

Thoughts: I’m SO loving this second pregnancy thing. It’s just a completely different, much more relaxed experience.

At this point last time around, I was devoting so much anxious energy to wondering what labor/delivery was going to be like, reading birth stories, and looking up all the “tricks” to get labor going. This time, I’m barely thinking about any of that (outside of wondering how fast labor will go this time—everyone’s telling me to count on a much speedier experience!).

Knowing what’s coming, to some extent, is a big part of the reason I’m feeling less eager this time around. Not that I’m nervous or worried—just more patient. Last time, I just couldn’t wait to find out what this labor/motherhood business was all about. Now, without that big motivator, it’s more about seeing how things will be different this time.

Also, this time, the logistics are more complicated: I can’t just up and go to the hospital whenever I feel like it, since we have to make arrangements for Mason. Ohh man, am I nervous about that! Both of the grandparents live out of state and need at least 4 hours to get here, and I’d hate to have to call a friend in the middle of the night for help.

Let’s just hope baby stays put until close to his due date!

Of COURSE I’m eager to meet him and not be pregnant anymore (trust me on that!!), but wow, things are getting real around here!

Labor signs: I guess I can start adding this prompt, haha!

I had my weekly appointment this morning, and the report was that the baby’s still very high and I’m barely dilated at all, although things are starting to soften. Good news in my book!

Stay tuned… Smile

What do you recommend packing in the hospital bag?

Moms of 2+: how did your pregnancies compare?

Brynn August 13, 2014 at 8:11 am

You look beautiful! And I totally agree that the body needs what it needs to take care of that precious baby.
Brynn recently posted…WIAW: Meatless MondayMy Profile

Jade August 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I had ‘high hopes’ too to make sure my weight didn’t go crazy. At my 34 week check up, I was up 28 pounds which I was that full term with the last and I do still have a while to go. Oh well, body will do what it wants. This second pregnancy for me I would say I haven’t had the chance to necessarily enjoy it per say, the first kiddo is so active and such a clinger and then I have had work issues up the wazoo that this new kid has taken the back burner. I did have a moment of anxiety as we will have to change up our day care scene once the new kid arrives and I feel so sad to leave our current place as kiddo loves it to pieces.
Jade recently posted…Oh AugustMy Profile

Kim August 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Same here, we’re incredibly sad to be leaving our current daycare situation soon! My son’s switching to part-time preschool in the fall, which I’m sure will be fine, but it’s like losing family members!

Claire August 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Good blog…I totally agree with you that the second pregnancy I was much more relaxed about the basics but when it came to plans for Adele when I was headed to hospital, really had me anxious. (And my parents even live in town). I think my reasoning for being so worried about who would take care of her was more less knowing that once we left for the hospital, her life and ours would forever be changed, and don’t get me wrong , I was so excited but I also had a lot do sadness for Adele, no longer the main stage. But…4.5 months later, everyone is adjusted just fine and we all forgot what life was like pre-Jasper! :)
My must haves in the hospital: pillow, slippers, flip flops(can’t handle showering bare foot at the hospital), cash for coffee shop, ipad, camera, gift for Adele(so she had a big sister gift to open when she visited). Do you plan to have Mason visit you?

Kim August 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Glad to hear everyone’s adjusted ok! I haven’t been really sad about that part yet (the only child becoming a sibling), but I’m sort of anticipating a little freak-out about it as we’re leaving for the hospital…we’ll see. :)

Thanks for the hospital list! I’ve been thinking about the older sibling gift thing–we need to get on that! Yes, I think we’ll have Mason visit, although I’m worried that it might be confusing for him…we didn’t get around to doing the older sibling hospital tour, and now it’s too late, so I’m hoping he can handle it.

One hospital bag mistake I won’t be making this time: bringing all non-maternity clothes! I just couldn’t wait to get back into them, but turns out the day after giving birth isn’t the best time to transition, haha. :) This time it’s ALL about comfort!

char eats greens August 7, 2014 at 9:28 am

I can’t believe that you’re already at 38 weeks!!! I hated pelvic pain!! I wonder if he’ll come early or not! And jeez, you look gorgeous. All those lbs must be going towards the baby because you are not showing that at all! I wonder how I managed to run many more miles/times during pregnancy that I do now. Oh ya, I’m sleep-deprived and have a toddler who won’t leave my side now haha.
char eats greens recently posted…thursday things: some questions and life updatesMy Profile

Kim August 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Haha seriously, 40 pounds seems like a LOT–I don’t really understand where it’s all coming from! I bet part of it is that I have a 9 pounder in there, haha. I’m so impressed that you were able to run at ALL while pregnant–I gave up on that loooong ago. The pelvic pain has been outrageous this time. Even walking is a major chore! Blah :)

Giselle August 6, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh my he’ll be here before you know it! I know I said it before but wow, your pregnancy has literally flown by!
Giselle recently posted…WIAW – Home Grown BakeryMy Profile

Kim August 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

It has for me too!!

Carrie August 6, 2014 at 8:36 pm

With #2 my labor was much quicker. The spacing between contractions grew smaller and smaller and before I knew it we needed to head to the hospital. Also I felt amazing with #2. Not so much the first time around.

Btw, you look awesome!!!
Carrie recently posted…Long Time No See!My Profile

Kim August 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

That is soooo good to hear, about feeling amazing after #2. My recovery with #1 was awful too! Here’s hoping.

Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

that’s a great way to look at it – baby is gonna have you gain weight to get whatever it needs! that’s something for me to keep in mind when I get pregnant – it’s something I might not be able to control!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Grilled Pork ChopsMy Profile

Kim August 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I really thought I could, but you’re just not dealing with the same body when you’re pregnant. I’ve made my peace. :) And you’ll do wonderful when you get there!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 6, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Wow! It’s coming up so fast. And you seriously look amazing and beautiful. I absolutely believe each body gains what its supposed to if you are practicing a balanced and healthy lifestyle (which I know you are!). I could totally see what you’re saying about the 2nd pregnancy being a little more chill. You have a toddler to keep up with after all!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Some New GoalsMy Profile