A day in the life

by Kim on July 10, 2013

I’ve been wanting to do one of these posts for a long, long time—like, over a year. But I’ve always shied away from it for a couple of reasons.

First of all, I hate comparisons, and don’t ever want to encourage them. Secondly, there’s the problem of trying to wait for a day that’s perfectly representative of a “typical” day. (Impossible.)

But to be honest, I’ve also been scared of judgment—of my parenting techniques, mostly. For the first year of Mason’s life, I was so worried about “doing things wrong,” particularly in the nap department, and I didn’t want to open myself up to critique on that front. (Not that I would get any, but that’s how paranoid first-time moms think.)

On the other hand, I’d love to have an account of my daily life to look back on later, for my own personal reasons. And in retrospect, I kinda wished I’d sucked it up and written one of these when Mason was a newborn, to help me remember what it was like.

So that’s why I’m here today, facing my insecurities and putting it all out there. Here we go!

This was my day yesterday:

6:00  – I woke up and blogged. This is something new I’m trying, since Mason’s been sleeping in a little later and I realized I have an untapped hour or two of free time in the AM to get things done.

20130709_082508

I’d love to be able to get my workout in during this time, but I just haaaate working out first thing in the morning. I’ve tried it many, many times, and it’s never gone well. I’d much rather work out at 10 PM. (Which I do, kind of a lot…)

7:30 – Mason woke up. (He’d been up for awhile at this point, just hanging out in his crib. I’ve found that if I get him up before he calls me, he cries. He likes to ease into his day.)

Breakfast was gluten-free oatmeal and watermelon. I love this time of the day because he’s always super chipper and chatty.

20130709_081932

8:00 – Got Mason dressed, washed hands, brushed teeth, etc.

8:15 – Playtime. We built block towers and hung out with Brent while he ate his breakfast.

8:40 – Brent left for work. I let Mase watch an episode of Mickey Mouse while I threw on clothes and makeup, and pulled my hair up. (Our living room is basically 100% Mason-proofed, thankfully, so I feel comfortable leaving him in there to play while I run to the bathroom or whatever.)

20130709_090133

9:00 – We headed outside to play. It wasn’t that hot, but OPPRESIVELY humid. Swimming in the air humid. Gross humid.

20130709_091959

The bugs were obviously loving it—I could hear them everywhere, buzzing in humidity-soaked glee.

I noticed that my poor flowers had survived another rabbit attack:

20130709_091815

(The white stuff is stinky-herb-laced rabbit spray.)

Ugh! So sick of the insane rabbit population in our neighborhood right now.

We headed to the park, and I pushed Mase in the swing for about 14 seconds—until I realized that it was too humid to stand still for any amount of time.

20130709_092932

9:45 – Mason went down for a nap, and I ate breakfast while reading blogs.

10:00 – Chore time. I swept and cleaned up the kitchen, tidied up the chaotic living room, etc.

10:15 – Coffee #2…

20130709_091302

Then I settled into my desk to work on some freelance projects. Outside my window, I noticed the clouds had moved in suddenly and it had started to rain. Well, that explains the humidity.

The next hour was the most peaceful of my day—typing away at my keyboard in a silent house with the rain coming down outside. Total bliss.

11:30 – I suddenly realized that Mason’s speech therapist was scheduled to show up at any second. (Long story about why we have one…we originally called to get help with Mason’s transition to finger foods, but now that he’s caught on to that, she’s giving us tips on improving his “expressive communication,” which he scored low on at the doctor’s.)

I also realized that Mason wasn’t up yet, which was unusual. I didn’t know what to do—was I supposed to wake him up? The therapist and I chatted for a bit and decided to cancel the day’s session. Before she left, she gave us this:

20130709_114113

Last time she was over, she noticed that Mason spends a lot of time chewing on his matchbox cars. She thought that maybe he wasn’t getting enough sensory “information” from the cars and suggested offering the tube, which is designed to be like a little sensory amusement park for the mouth—or something.

(Update: he had almost zero interest in the tube.)

12:00 – Mason woke up and we played for a bit.

12:15 – Lunch.

For M: Kielbasa sausage, baked beans, and something I call “baby mash” (brown rice, meat, and veggies in spaghetti sauce).

20130709_122026

For me: Leftover grilled chicken, tomatoes, avocado, egg, and TJ’s champagne dressing. (The pile is a lot taller than it looks, ha.)

IMG_3562

We both also chowed a bunch of watermelon after this.

1:00 – It was still rainy/muggy out, so I decided to head to the mall. I needed to return something anyway, and Mason got a chance to play in the kids’ zone for awhile. (It was crazy busy, and full of wild older kids running around in full sprints, so I ended up hovering over M the whole time.)

I also got to check out the new Victoria’s Secret activewear line—have you seen it? I was pretty impressed! (For one thing, they have long sleeve shirts with MONKEY THUMBS! … Or thumb holes, as you might [lamely] call them.)

2:30 – Got home to find a nice little surprise sitting on the doorstep:

IMG_3563

IMG_3568

Oh boy…I guess it’s time to actually get serious about this personal training thing. It’s been a long time since I opened a textbook—hopefully I remember what to do with it.

Mase wasn’t showing signs of tiredness yet, but I was nervous about getting his second nap in before his 4:30 doctor’s appointment (15-month well child visit). So I popped him in bed a little before 3 and crossed my fingers. Then, I hit the computer to outline a freelance article I’m working on.

3:45 – M still wasn’t sleeping, but he’d been relaxing quietly in his crib since I put him down. I decided to call it a successful “quiet time” and get him up.

He played happily for a little bit while I entertained myself with ab exercises, including the double bent leg raises I recently read about on Paige’s blog.

4:00 – Snack. More watermelon (M’s favorite fruit is mandarin oranges and he gets those for snack a lot, but I was all out) and some fruit/veggie melts (aka his non-allergenic Cheerio alternative).

4:30 – Doc appointment. Thank goodness for smartphones and kids’ shows on YouTube.

20130709_163713

I love the pudgy tummy and politely clasped hands, haha!

Brent always comes to these appointments now, mainly to stay in the know about allergy info and to help out with shots (I’ve “gone to the bathroom” to get out of the shot part of the visit more than once). Mase got 2 shots this time and was over them in about 7 seconds.

Stats, in case anyone on the planet cares: 24 lb. 10 oz. (70%), 31” (35%). Our little short stack. :) (No wonder all his shorts fit like baggy capris!)

5:30 – Mase and I headed home while Brent went to the gym. I transferred M straight from the car seat to the stroller and we headed out for a walk.

We stopped at Walgreens on the way, where I learned some extremely upsetting news: they’re no longer selling the most amazing ice cream on the face of the earth. The highly underrated Walgreens brand ice cream has been replaced with something stupid called Delish.

6:30 – By the time we got home, M was starving. I didn’t have time to snap a pic before he started going to town on his dinner, but it involved vegan mac & cheese, homemade gluten-free meatballs in spaghetti sauce, corn (possibly his favorite food of all time), and more baked beans.

20130709_183745 (2)

Meanwhile, I snacked on veggie straws and waited for Brent to get home and fire up the grill for our dinner.

7:00 – Brent gave Mason a bath (their nightly man time) while I made this cucumber salad I was telling you about recently.

IMG_3570

I also boiled some brown rice noodles to make spaghetti for M to eat throughout the week.

After his bath, Mason played with cars by himself in the living room while Brent started the grill.

7:30 – I put Mase to bed.

8:00 – Dinner. I’d gotten this giant log of bacon-wrapped marinated pork from Hy-Vee—sooo good, but sooo time-consuming to cook.

IMG_3575

8:30 – I read (this incredible book) for awhile, letting my food digest a little before working out. (The pork was a little heavy on the old stomach.) I’m really close to finishing the book, but I’m trying hard to draw it out because I so, so don’t want it to end.

9:00 – Popped in Jillian Michael’s 30-Day Shred (level 3) for a quick sweat.

9:30 – Did a little more work on my freelance article while cooling down/guzzling water. (Dang salty pork!)

10:30 – Showered, read a little more, and then hit the sack.

So there you go! Not necessarily a typical day, of course, since we rarely ever go to the mall and doctor/speech appointments are few and far between, but you get the idea of the general rhythm of our days over here.

What’s something you did yesterday?

Presley @ Run Pretty July 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I’m seriously looking forward to your posts about NASM stuff. I’m intrigued!

I need to post a “day in the life” type deal, but if I were to do that this week, people who read it would never have children. ;) Just kidding. Kind of.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Clean Up My House, Clean Up My EatsMy Profile

Kim July 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I’ll definitely keep you updated on NASM…as soon as I, um, start.

I’d love to read your day in the life post. :) Doooo it! People who don’t have kids need to know the truth anyway.

Joanna @Makingmine July 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm

This is adorable! I have a 4 week old, and I can’t even remember what I do day to day! Looking forward to finding a routine :)
Joanna @Makingmine recently posted…a foot into fitnessMy Profile

Kim July 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh I know that feeling! :) I have so many days where I’m crazy busy all day long doing…what? I’m not sure. But I was darn busy doing it.

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run July 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love reading these and seeing how other moms do it all :) Thanks so much for sharing!
Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…How to Eat SpaghettiMy Profile

char eats greens July 11, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I’m working on one of these posts today actually!! It’s always interesting how other babes are doing!!! My girl is following after Mason today. Just put her down for a nap, but definitely hear her moving around in there instead! haha
char eats greens recently posted…thursday things: tell me what you thinkMy Profile

Erika July 11, 2013 at 11:26 am

It is always interesting to see what other people do in a day. Yes, we probably do compare but I guess I do as a way to find new and different things to do with my son – especially for meals so if you want to share more of his meals that’s be great :) My son is suuuuper picky so I’m up for anything new to try!

It’s sad that you even have to put a “disclaimer” out there and have to justify what you do, when you do it, why you do it, etc.

Is that what that white stuff is on my flowers??? I’m going to have to look into that – dumb bunnies :)

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples July 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

yay for NASM!! :) ..i have that lil backpack sitting in my living room :) my goal is to take my test by mid-august (i passed my certification a long time ago, but have since let it lapse!) so maybe we can exchange study tips :) ..and loved reading about your day :)

Kim July 11, 2013 at 10:23 am

I would LOVE study tips–especially from someone who’s already passed the test! I’m planning to kick off the 75-day study guide next week.

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome July 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I love reading these types of posts and actually have never done one myself now that I think about it. You have nothing to be self conscious about at all! I think you’re doing a great job!
Way to go for getting in you workout after dinner! I’m done after dinner time. Actually, most nights I’m already in my PJ’s!

Lisa @ Lisa Living Well July 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I love day in the life posts! I was excited to see that you are studying to become a CPT through NASM. I started studying about a month ago and I love it so far! I haven’t formally announced that I am doing it on my blog, as I am trying to keep my career change ideas secret from some family and friends. I love getting my weekly e-mail from them advising what to be studying that week. It really helps me stay on track!
Lisa @ Lisa Living Well recently posted…Dalai Lama at the Change Your Mind, Change the World conferenceMy Profile

Kim July 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad to hear you’re liking it. I need to dig into study planning and get started–I didn’t know there was a weekly email!

F.I.L. Paul July 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

You worry too much. We have a three year old next door that isn’t much bigger than Mason. His sister (month older than Mason) isn’t walking yet. Jake Johnson was always a worry to his mom (stature). My brother was late at everything and small. He is now the healthiest and most well to do in the family. You’re a great mom—- RELAX !!!!

Kim July 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Haha. Paul, I’m a mom, it’s what we do. :) I’m actually not worried about Mason’s size at all, just like to joke about it.

Kim July 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Cute – I enjoyed reading this (a very very small part of me misses the days when my boys were young like your cutie!!).
I’ve thought about doing a post similar to this but my days really aren’t very exciting so…
Yesterday we did hang out at the swim beach for awhile – standard summer time activity!!
Kim recently posted…Vein Stripping: A Final ReportMy Profile

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness July 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Aw i love day in the life posts! And don’t be self conscious – parenting isn’t one size fits all and I think most of us as parents realize that! ESPECIALLY when it comes to naps! Ughhhhhhh naps… :) you did a great job and at least from what i’ve read on your blog, you’re a great mom!

Thank you for giving me some workout motivation. I have been trying to think of something challenging but not a huge time commitment to throw down today – 30 Day Shred is a great idea. I always forget that I have that. Even though I’m not a JM fan, she does give good workout.
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Rachel the… Ultra Runner?My Profile

Kim July 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Rachel! I tried hard not to do anything special just because I was documenting the day, but I can’t say I didn’t think about it. :)

That’s funny, I don’t really like JM in the shred either, but I love her in her podcasts now. She seems so different between the two…but I guess the shred is probably, what, 5+ years old? (Funny, too, that it already LOOKS old. Something about their outfits and the studio just looks dated.)

Kind of off-topic, but I also find it SO distracting that JM doesn’t do the workout herself the whole time. The second she quits to go show us the other girls’ form, I want to quit.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I love reading these “day in the life” posts! It’s always fun to see what my other blogger friends’ days are like. I think it’s neat to see the differences in days when it comes to no kids vs. newborn vs. toddler, etc. as well. Looks like you guys had a busy and productive day!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…WIAW #88: Copy Cat Veggie PizzaMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes July 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I really like these posts because it gives me ideas of different things to do with Luke – especially because our boys are so close in age! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kim July 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh, shoot – too bad we didn’t do anything exciting or creative that day, haha. :) The mall and the doctor probably aren’t high on any toddler’s to do list.