A few reasons I love having two kids

by Kim on October 9, 2014

When I was a one-kid mom, it seemed like all I ever heard were horror stories about life with two.

I was especially haunted by a quote from Kris Jenner, of all people (on a show that I definitely don’t watch all the time)… She said: “One is like one. Two is like twenty.”

At the time, I was like OH DEAR GOD, it really IS that bad, isn’t it??

Now, I’m more like…oh, Kris. That just isn’t LIKE you to over-dramatize things…

Don’t worry: I’m definitely not saying that I’m the expert on multi-kid-dom after less than two months in the trenches. (Although, really, what’s harder than the newborn + toddler combo? Other than maybe newborn twins + toddler twins…)

I just wanted to throw out a new perspective, for anyone who’s considering having a second and not hearing much positivity about the transition.

IMG_6374

Here are some things that I’m loving about having two little kiddos…

I’m more content with my kids’ current ages

When Mason was a baby, it was hard to resist thinking, “I just can’t wait until…” he’s sleeping through the night/walking/talking/feeding himself/supporting himself via his own job, etc. Just because I couldn’t wait to see what it was like at that stage.

Now that I’ve been through some of the big milestones with one kid, it’s easier to appreciate the second at his current age. Not only has my curiosity been quenched a little by the first, but I’ve realized that with new stages come new problems, and also, reaching that next stage means the previous stage goes away forever.

More husband/wife teamwork

When we were a one-kid family, there was a lot of “I’ll watch him while you do that, and then you watch him while I do this.” If one parent is with the kid, it’s easy for the other to be like “well, looks like you’ve got things covered here” and clock out. Which ends up being kind of lonely for the one parent on duty.

With two kids, there’s one for each parent, which means many more opportunities for dividing and conquering on the parenting front, while still being together.

There’s an extra powerful feeling of camaraderie that comes from the all-hands-on-deck lifestyle. And it’s just nice to have the company.

Twice the entertainment

I remember so many quiet, lonely days when I was home with Mason as a baby, basically talking to myself all day. Having someone to talk to, even if it is a 2-year-old, has changed the stay-at-home mom game big time for me, and I’ve been able to enjoy having a newborn in a totally different way.

I know that when people say “they sure keep things interesting,” they usually mean it in a bad way…but I think it can be a positive!

I kinda know what I’m doing…

…or I just don’t care as much. Probably a little of both.

Either way, I’m a much more confident mom this time around, and my perspective about things is completely different. Things that would have flattened me two years ago barely phase me, and my perfectionistic side is finally quieting down.

Less scheduling obsessiveness

On my first trip down the baby scheduling road, I remember reading eeeeverything on the internet and driving myself insane with it all. Did I put him down 5 minutes too late, so he’s overtired? Did I play with him too much, so he’s overstimulated and won’t sleep?

Now, we’re often on the go, or I’m just carrying the baby around in a sling, so he sleeps when he wants, for as long as he wants, and I don’t worry about it quite so much. There are still moments when I’m like, “wait, how long has he been awake? Is that why he’s fussy?” but I’m certainly not stressing and beating myself up about the whole sleep thing the way I used to. It’s just not worth it.

Saying “my kids” or “the kids”

It’s just fun for some reason!

Watching my kid with my other kid

20141006_171848

It’s the same feeling you get when you see your parents with your kid—but even better.

It’s also fun to picture them as buddies in the future. The baseball games, the camping trips, the birthday parties…can’t wait!

Don’t get me wrong—there are definitely ways life has gotten harder with two kids. For one thing, the laundry SUCKS. Instead of big people clothes and little people clothes, we now have big people clothes, little people clothes, and even littler people clothes.

The socks are a nightmare.

But overall, I can honestly say that I’m even happier as a mom of two than I was as a mom of one. And it really is true that there’s plenty of love to go around. <3

How many kids were in your family growing up, and what was that like?

xo

Brittney George April 15, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Thank you so much for this. I have less than a month before my first turns two and we give birth to #2. Needless to say I’ve gotten plenty of horror stories and it’s so nice to hear the other side. :)

Mandi S October 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I SOOOO needed to hear this! I’ve been back and forth with this for months. Now if I can just figure out how to keep from going broke paying for daycare if I have another one! lol

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Oh I definitely know that dilemma! But you know you’ll find a way, and it’ll be worth it, right? :)

Presley @ Run Pretty October 9, 2014 at 8:35 pm

This is very encouraging without being over-the-top sappy. A+ to you! ;) But seriously, I’m juuuust starting to even think about two and it’s scaring me.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Thursday Thoughts + A Question For Y’allMy Profile

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I swear nothing’s as hard as having your first kid, even if you end up with 20. Go for it!! ;)

Danielle October 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I love watching my older two girls play together. They are only 20 months apart, and (most of the time) get along so well. They both love Baby C too, and I’m sure it won’t be long until she’s running around with them. I have a brother who is close in age to me, but the rest of my siblings are much younger (the youngest is only 17). My relationship with my younger siblings is different because there’s such an age gap. I’m happy that my girls will be closer in age, and will hopefully be close friends.

And socks! Why are they always such a pain?!
Danielle recently posted…Fall Travel Wrap UpMy Profile

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I agree that it’s nice to have them closer together. I was tempted to wait another year for #2 but knew that we’d eventually be really glad we didn’t. Luckily, this early part hasn’t been nearly as hard as I thought. :)

Allysia October 9, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I feel like I could have written this post! Granted my second is only 3.5 weeks old but I’m in a much better place at this time than when number one was this age. Glad to hear things are going well for you too!!

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Congratulations on your little one! Glad it’s going well for you too :)

Amanda October 9, 2014 at 1:13 pm

So glad to hear that things with your two adorable little boys is wonderful! As you’re aware, I grew up with six siblings, and while it was utterly crazy at times, I wouldn’t trade it for anything! But I don’t think I’m up for that many of my own. :-)
Amanda recently posted…Summer HappeningsMy Profile

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Agreed :) :)

Giselle October 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Love this post! You’re right I hear so much complaining and negativity from moms with more than one kid especially in the beginning. There have been times I’ve second guessed my decision to have more than one so it’s nice to hear a happier perspective on two kids :-)
Giselle recently posted…Random ThoughtsMy Profile

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

You will love it! When it comes to motherhood, we almost all have complaints, but not regrets :)

Kim October 9, 2014 at 11:05 am

I can relate on so many levels to all the points you listed!!!
Growing up there were 4 of us (I have a twin brother and a younger brother & sister) – my husband was 1 of 5 (the only boy) – he wanted 4-6 kids, I wanted 2 – we have 2:) Actually he ended up being happy with 2 also!!!
Glad things are going well with 2 kids!
Kim recently posted…Do NOT Google Pictures of Skin CancerMy Profile

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Wow 4-6! Brave man :)

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run October 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

My favorite part of being a mom of two is watching them together (well, when they are getting along). The newborn/toddler phase was fun for me, I didn’t get to enjoy the newborn phase with my oldest because I was sick so I ate up the snuggles with my baby girl. It started getting harder for me when our little one became active and talking. They’re both going in different directions, telling me 20 different things at once, arguing over toys and who touched who and why she has my toy and on and on and on. Now they’re 3 and 6 and 99.9% of the time it’s great.. there are some days that I contemplate running away to a far away island for a week though just for some peace and quiet :)

Kim October 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Haha, uh oh…maybe I’m speaking too soon! Not looking forward to the arguing/fighting over toys, but at least they’ll be out of diapers then right?? :) With every season comes new joys and challenges… *bracing myself*

Jenna hall October 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

Long time reader, first time commenter. LOVE the way you write. Amazing accuracy, hysterically funny. Don’t ever stop! :)

Kim October 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm

What an amazing compliment, thank you Jenna! And nice to finally “meet” you :)

Katie October 9, 2014 at 9:04 am

Love this post! of course there are going to be crazy days, but good to know that there are positives also!
Katie recently posted…A to Z list for Personal AttandantsMy Profile

Heather @Fit N Cookies October 9, 2014 at 8:45 am

This is too sweet. I am so glad you are loving your role as stay at home mom to two beautiful boys. There are so many positives here that I can’t wait to have two kids (one first though haha)
Heather @Fit N Cookies recently posted…My challenge to youMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes October 9, 2014 at 8:39 am

awwww I LOVE this post. And that pic of Mason talking to Josh in the swing – priceless. Thanks for the positive spin on having 2! kids. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Rese Activewear {giveaway}My Profile