A grand opening and some grabbable snack ideas

by Kim on October 3, 2014

One of the perks of being a stay-at-home mom:

Being able to go to the grand opening of your city’s brand new Nordstrom Rack (!!) at 8 AM on a Friday.

They were giving away 30 (30!!) $100 gift cards and one $1,000, so you bet I was going.

I even brought a friend, per the invite, and I’m a little miffed that he didn’t get a raffle ticket.

Hello, Nordstrom’s has baby clothes. And so what if he voluntarily chose to share some of his winnings with his mom??

Anyway, I’m guessing that’s why we didn’t win anything, but the guy right in front of us did. Enjoy my son’s winnings, guy—you just stole from a baby.

(Just kidding…kind of…)

In other news, I’ve discovered two new grabbable food options to help me get through my one-armed life:

Deli turkey + avocado (protein + fat = satiating)

The idea was to roll the avocado in the turkey, cigar-style, but our deli’s turkey tends to come in “piles” more than slices, so I ended up just eating this with a fork.

Cottage cheese + diced apple (protein + carbs = energizing)

One word: honeycrisp. So expensive but soooo worth it.

I’d like to up the ante even further by adding some cooked chicken, maybe some celery and lemon juice, but when I’m scrambling to get the toddler’s food ready and jostling the fussy newborn (which is often the exact scenario), that’s all way too complicated.

The test is: can I both prepare and eat the food like this (well, maybe standing)…

…in 2 minutes or less?

The apple and avocado are a little tricky to deal with one-handed, but I’ve gotten pretty skilled at juggling knives and newborns at the same time. (Ok, don’t go visualizing that the wrong way. You know what I mean.)

I’m going to keep brainstorming healthy grabbables (—> new term, spread the word) so I’m not so reliant on hard-boiled eggs and energy bites during the day. And so that this doesn’t happen…

Smoothies/protein shakes are another good option, but I always have to think about either scaring or waking up kids with my maniacal blender. (Think jet taking off…)

I did manage to try my sample of Milkshake Bar protein powder the other day, though.

As I expected, it was really REALLY delicious (I blended it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and ice) and I appreciated the 22 g. of protein and the amino acids, but the ingredients weren’t as clean as I would have liked.

That said, if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to a Wendy’s Frosty, this is the JAM. (And that’s coming from a serious Wendy’s Frosty connoisseur. I mean, I capitalize the F in Frosty.)

P.S. Umm I just learned that I cannot spell the word connoisseur. And, in case you were wondering, that was the inspiration for this tweet:

P.P.S. Are we friends on the Twitter yet? (Yes, I said “the.” Did it make you so uncomfortable?? Me too…)

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack in your area?

I’m sooo excited we finally do!

What’s your favorite place to go for clothes?

Favorite grabbable meal/snack?

Must be one-arm friendly. Winking smile

What’s better: a Wendy’s Frosty or a Dairy Queen Blizzard?

I’m weird—I prefer the Frosty. My husband thinks I’m insane.

Have a great weekend!

Giselle October 5, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Hope you win the gift card! That’s awesome! I love the Rack and go probably at least 4 times a month. Even The Hubby and Love Nugget enjoy it too :-)
Turkey and avocado is the bomb! Applegate Farms holds up a little better these days and Target has had it for pretty good prices recently. I like to snack on an uncured Canadian Bacon that Costco carries with avocado and sunflower seeds. Or cut a hard boiled egg in half and eat that on the Canadian bacon. Do you like Jerky? That’s always a good protein snack. Epic Bar is one of my clean favorites :-)
Giselle recently posted…Humani Pilates Wicked WorkoutMy Profile

char eats greens October 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

You so should have got the $100 card. That man should have seen the baby face and kindly handed it over! Props to you for getting out there at 8am. I’m hardly even out of my bedroom by that time haha!

Honeycrisp apples ALL THE WAY. I actually would love to hit up an orchard today. I better go pitch that one to Tyler now haha
char eats greens recently posted…comparing and reflecting on races this yearMy Profile

Julie @ Run Away Freckles October 3, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Honey Crisps are the BEST EVER!!! No other apple compares in my book. I am with you on the Frosty. I like them better as well, although I am allergic to most fast-food soft serve and usually stay away :(
Julie @ Run Away Freckles recently posted…Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile

Karen October 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Throwing in a vote for the McDonalds cone..

My favorite grabbables are carrots & hummus, zucchini & hummus, string cheese in a tortilla, and bread with pb
Karen recently posted…The eye twitch, a Moroccan subway, and PTXMy Profile

Kelly October 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

How was Nordstrom Rack?? I imagine it’ll be crazy busy for a while, but I’m super pumped to have one here! Um, and I did not know that they also have baby clothes! There goes my bank account…
Kelly recently posted…Old Fashioned Apple CrispMy Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West October 3, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oh yes, I’ve always been a big Nordstrom Rack fan. They have the best stuff, especially jewelry. My go-to snacks are trail mix, cottage cheese and apples — sometimes all mixed together. Happy Friday!
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: e-book, food, picnics + tunesMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I went to Nordstrom Rack too and bought way too much stuff! I really wanted a Kate Spade purse but I put it back after picking out the 8th shirt I just HAD to have…
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Men’s Health Urbanathlon + 10 Minute AbsMy Profile

ErikaMC October 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I’ve never been to Nordstrom Rack and don’t even know where the closest one is.

I’v e never had a Frosty either so I gotta go with the DQ Blizzard.

Grabbales: English muffin with pb or egg and cheese, Popcorn, Roasted Chickpeas, Cottage Cheese with Tomato and Crackers, Dates with pb, Overnight oats

Amanda October 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm

The Frosty is far superior to a blizzard. Hands down. You’re not weird or insane…perfectly normal. :-) Hope you guys have a great weekend!
Amanda recently posted…Summer HappeningsMy Profile

Kim October 3, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Ohh Brent will tear his hair out when he reads this. Thank you. :)

Hope you have a good one too!

Brent October 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Ok, so I would like to articulate my argument. If we’re going ice cream vs ice cream, the frosty is definitely better, but you gotta account for Dairy Queen being able to stuff cookie dough and reeses into their ice cream, cmon now!
Brent recently posted…WordPress Infinite 302 Redirect loop on login after Reverting or Overwriting FoldersMy Profile

Amanda October 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm

The Frosty is so delicious that even being able to put additional toppings in it couldn’t make it better…you can’t mess with perfection. :-)
Amanda recently posted…Summer HappeningsMy Profile

Kim October 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Imagine if a FROSTY did that…

Kim October 3, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Oh, question answered, haha. :) There you go.
Kim recently posted…A grand opening and some grabbable snack ideasMy Profile