A new obsession {for once, NOT food/fitness related}

by Kim on August 15, 2014

I forgot to tell you how I spent approximately 50% of last weekend—and it might just be the same way I end up spending a good chunk of this one…

Pinterest, my old friend. I didn’t even realize we were growing apart.

(It’s funny—I still remember, very clearly, being SO confused about what Pinterest was. And not that long ago either!)

This time, I wasn’t just randomly browsing—I have a new mission. And it has nothing to do with baby rooms or recipes. (Although I still haven’t finished decorating baby’s room…oops…)

Gina has gotten me obsessed with the idea of a capsule wardrobe. Basically, it’s about paring your wardrobe down to a smaller number of items that you GENUINELY love and sticking to a pre-planned list of items you want to be part of your seasonal wardrobe, rather than constantly feeding your mediocre closet with random purchases you don’t end up wearing that much.

capsule_thumb[2]

(source)

Caroline—my new go-to capsule expert—holds herself to 37 items per season (a mix of pre-owned and new stuff). She plans out her ideal wardrobe in advance—like, “1 chambray shirt” and “1 dark wash skinny jean”—based on a combo of what she already has (and loves) and what she wants to round out that season’s wardrobe.

Then, she only buys new stuff to fill in the gaps, focusing on one big pre-season shopping trip and then buying nothing until the next season. This sounds about a thousand times smarter than my totally sporadic new-top-here-new-pants-there method. (She’s also found that she ultimately saves money this way.)

In other words, I think having a list like this would really help me avoid impulse buys.

AND now that I’m almost not pregnant anymore, it’s SO exciting to think about wearing regular clothes again!

With pregnancy #1, I was so excited, I brought nothing but non-maternity clothes to the hospital…yeah, dumb move. Turns out the extra weight doesn’t just instantly evaporate post-birth. (Duh, right?) This time, I’ve smartened up, but I’m still just as excited for the eventual switch back to normalcy!

I’ve been having a blast brainstorming my ideal fall/winter wardrobe—here’s what I’ve found so far, if you’re interested.

Some of the basic ideas:

fall fashion

Something I love about fall fashion (that happens to be perfect for having just had a baby): leggings/skinny jeans + huge, flowy tops and sweaters! Bring ‘em on!

I might be the only one thinking about fall clothes already, but we’ve actually been having pretty unseasonably cool temps here. (50’s in the mornings!) As far as the being-preggo-in-the-summer thing goes, I’ve really lucked out.

Anyone else thinking about fall yet??

To be clear, I’m ONLY thinking about the clothes…and, maybe a little bit, the pumpkin beer. (Aka something else I can finally enjoy again!)

I’m not at ALL interested in the actual weather changes…

What’s a staple fall outfit for you?

P.S. The downside of spending a ton of time shopping online: my Facebook is now COVERED in ads for the EXACT things I’ve been looking at. One ad literally said “I know you’ve been looking at me!” Ha! Get out of my head, FB!

Have a great weekend! Will I see any of you on Pinterest? Winking smile

char eats greens August 17, 2014 at 8:28 am

I LOVE this idea! But I honestly need to start my wardrobe from scratch because I never clothes shop for myself. I want to make it more of a priority because I’ll get in a funk when we’re going out and I have nothing to wear. Being a girl, it’s not a good feeling to have. You want to look purrrrrrrty! So checking out your board!
char eats greens recently posted…meals from the week + my cooking balanceMy Profile

char eats greens August 17, 2014 at 8:34 am

I do have a serious question though: Where do you start if you have NO fashion sense. I seriously am so basic and don’t know anything. I don’t know how I turned into this girl! I think online shopping is probably my best bet until I learn. That way I know the name of the item and what it looks like, all in one place! haha

Emma @ be mom strong August 17, 2014 at 3:46 am

I’ve never heard I this but have been Pinteresting food like crazy! Should I switch over to clothes now?! It’s hard to even imagine clothes or outfits being this large right now though!

Kim August 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I’ve seen quite a few people posting about capsule wardrobes lately – I’m sort of happy to have a huge variety of choices and think I might be to set in my old ways to change.
Kim recently posted…A New BeginningMy Profile

Jaclyn @ Bumpsweat August 15, 2014 at 12:06 pm

That’s such a fabulous idea! I’m so frugal that I rarely spend money on clothes, but having a plan and spending money only on what I know I’ll wear regularly (and get good use out of) going into the season would make buying things a lot easier. I’m so ready for fall; I can’t wait for pumpkin everything, apple-picking, and, yes, pumpkin beer!! :)
Jaclyn @ Bumpsweat recently posted…Who’s a Fit Mama?! This GirlMy Profile

Kim August 15, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Yes to pumpkin everything!! :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes August 15, 2014 at 10:02 am

I am already thinking about fall clothes too – and I NEED to get a pair of awesome boots and a pair of skinny jeans. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Friday Favorites: 8/15/14My Profile

Kim August 15, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Yes ma’am you do! You will live in them on weekends!

Katie August 15, 2014 at 9:49 am

That’s pretty similar to how i shop. My closet is out of control, so I can’t hold myself to 37 items. But I usually do a big shopping purchase a couple times a year, and I since I don’t live near any good malls, I generally don’t buy much in between.
Katie recently posted…Life Lately: August 2014My Profile

Kim August 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm

It’s hard for me to spend a lot of money at one time, but I really think I’d end up ultimately spending less this way. Especially if I make my one big trip happen at an outlet mall!

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West August 15, 2014 at 9:24 am

My fall wardrobe in San Francisco is very routine. Other than my daily outfit of gym clothes for training clients and teaching classes, on the weekends, I LIVE in black leggings or dark skinny jeans, some sort of tall riding boot and a long-sleeve solid color loose blouse or top with a cropped leather jacket. It’s not very warm here, so I’m always covered up. I prefer basics, plain colors and simple clean lines. I love the idea of a capsule.
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: Fitness appsMy Profile

Kim August 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I’m the same way, minus the cool leather jacket (I wish I had one!). I prefer simplicity too–I used to get down on myself for always picking neutral colors, feeling like I “should” branch out for some reason, but now I embrace it.