A strange phase and a fitness photo shoot

by Kim on October 28, 2013

I’m not sure if Mason just had an off weekend or if we’re getting a taste of the Terrible Upcoming Year. (I don’t even want to say it…)

20131027_175841

It started last week—(probably not coincidentally) around the time I started working. VERY messed-up sleep habits, low appetite, extra quiet during the day. Then he got a few fevers. He was lethargic, and generally weird-acting. Saturday morning, we decided to take him to urgent care, just to make sure it wasn’t an ear infection. It wasn’t—doc said he saw nothing treatable.

Then, over the weekend, it progressed into temper tantrums. About. Everything. (And, especially, about nothing.)

Our generally cheerful, easy-going kid was suddenly a little psychopath, screaming and throwing himself on the floor when I took him outside (as requested) and then, six seconds later, when I offered to put him in the stroller (as requested).

Thank goodness for Elmo.

20131027_174111(The old split-screen so-Mom-can-simultaneously-fool-around-online trick.)

The only explanation that makes any sense to me is teething. It’s been so long since he’s gotten new teeth in that I sort of forgot about all that, but I guess he does have some molars to work on. Poor kid.

Anyway, fingers crossed that, whatever it is, it’s temporary, and it doesn’t make his first day of daycare (TODAY!) a total nightmare (for either him or his poor, sweet teachers—God bless ‘em).

When he wasn’t screaming because I offered him a drink of water or something, we were having a nice little weekend.

20131027_110621

I made a magnificent pile out of the 12 leaves sprinkled across our lawn, and he ran around it.

20131027_110327

Not really the idea…

You know how you can start missing something before it’s even gone? That’s how I feel about these leaves.

20131027_110439

I should be embarrassed to call this a highlight of my weekend, but whatever, here goes:

I bought these super soft, fuzzy socks at Old Navy, and they. Are. AWESOME.

20131027_091959

Possibly more cozy than slippers. I’m so in love.

I also picked up a cute workout tank (also from ON):

20131027_165223

I needed something to wear to my fitness photo shoot yesterday, and I realized that most of my other tanks are super loose (i.e. not very attractive during, say, a plank).

…What, a fitness photo shoot isn’t a normal thing to do? Haha.

A good friend of mine is an amazing professional photographer—she actually did a really cool shoot for me with my wedding dress a few years ago. Kinda like a “trash the dress,” although we didn’t actually trash it…at all.

We just puttered around downtown on a Saturday, confusing the hell out of everyone (a bride with no groom?) and getting lots of congratulations (my wedding was long over, haha).

dress photos
Yeah, she’s amazing.

Anyway, she was kind enough to take a few shots of me doing fitness-y things yesterday. (Like awkwardly running down a path, awkwardly holding some weights, and awkwardly trying to hold Dancer’s Pose in front of the lake.)

I’ll probably use the pics on the blog, but the real reason I got them was for use with my potential future personal training services (majorly TBD). I’m nowhere near getting that underway, but I wanted to have some photos in my back pocket before winter hit, so I’d be ready when (if?) the day came.

So stay tuned for those! Hopefully it’s not too painfully obvious how dorky I felt getting them taken…

In other news, my office is having a costume party on Thursday and I’m…thinking about it.

I honestly think this would be pretty hilarious:

bugs

Except maybe a little less obvious, like just one or two, so you can get the true “Umm excuse me, but DO YOU KNOW…”

(Best part: notice the website link? That idea is legitimately from Martha.)

Well, better run—time to take our sad, teething child to his first day of daycare. God help us all.

P.S. I saw this list of 30 workouts under 30 minutes over the weekend and loved it. Definitely worth a pin!

Happy Monday!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I love those photos of you in your wedding dress– what a great idea! I can’t wait to see your fitness photo shoot :)
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Wedding #8 Of The YearMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I hope it’s not too embarrassing to reveal! :)

Ali October 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Ohh poor baby… teething is hard. I am experiencing some of that over here too. I have an almost 8 month old with no teeth yet, but I think he’s working on it.
Ali recently posted…How to Ombre Your WallsMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Update: double ear infection! Poor kiddo. But I can never really rule out teething. You just never know what’s going on in there! Hope your little one gets through it quickly and easily!

Katie @ running4cupcakes October 28, 2013 at 10:30 am

OMG I totally have to do the split screen – how have I not thought of that!! Genius. Fingers crossed that day 1 went well for everyone. And we are in the same temper tantrum phase – I think it might be teething related too.. . ahh parenting, so much fun!! ;)

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Haha the split screen is a pretty new trick for me too. Luckily he doesn’t care how small his portion is. :)

Update on the “teething”–turns out he has a double ear infection after all! Not that he couldn’t be ALSO teething. With all that and the life changes, he has so many things going on that I have no idea what’s causing what anymore.

Here’s hoping we’ll both make it through the temper tantrum phase alive!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome October 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

Oh no! Sorry to hear Mason is having a rough stage. I hate to say it and you probably already know it but it very well could be associated with you going back to work. Even though he handled the transition smoothly, it’s a big change for him to go from spending every minute of every day with you to not as much. Kids are very in tune with change and all react differently. When I was teaching preschool we recommended that parents try to spend some extra one on one time with kids after work and on the weekends when first going back to work. Which you obviously are and I’m sure will continue to do so :-) Hopefully the phase is over soon!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…MIMM – I want wine!My Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Yeah, I’ve thought about that too. There are so many things going on with him right now that I’m not sure what’s causing what. BUT–we just took him to the doctor again today, and now they’re saying he has a double ear infection! So that explains a lot. Crazy week!!

Katie October 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

Lucky (about the photos, not the cranky babe) I have been thinking and thinking about getting some photos taken, but haven’t bitten the bullet and scheduled anything.
Katie recently posted…Monster Dash Half 2013 Recap #MDMNMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’m suuuper lucky to have a photographer friend. I doubt I would have done anything yet otherwise. But I think I’ll be really happy I did–you should think about it! Perfect time of year, with the fall leaves… :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 28, 2013 at 8:50 am

I can relate to the crabby-whiny-nothing-can-make-him-happy child! Ugh. Of course it had to happen when my mom and aunt were in town this weekend. Oh well, what can you do, right? I think it may be teething over here too.

Praying for a successful first day of daycare for the little man!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Feeling BlessedMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm

That teething monster! Comes outta nowhere and attacks our children. Prayers for a quick recovery for Hunter!

Kim October 28, 2013 at 8:44 am

I hope that the daycare drop-off went smoothly with no tears.
And – I’m not sure how old Mason is but 3 was a rough year with my youngest – like you said, I could offer water and that would cause a tantrum. It was a rough 4 months – I cried every single night!!! (now people don’t believe that he was ever so difficult!!)
Kim recently posted…Taking Time to Appreciate the Beauty of FallMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Oh no!! I’m so scared!! He’s only 19 months! :)

There were a few tears at drop-off, but not nearly as many as there would have been (out of ME) if I’d had to do it! Thank goodness for the hubby.

Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) October 28, 2013 at 8:31 am

Thanks for sharing my 30 workouts in 30 post! Love the idea of the beetles crawling up the leg, such a great idea!

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for putting such a great collection together!!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 28, 2013 at 7:21 am

Aw, poor Mason! Hopefully, his funk will pass soon! Love those photos of you in your wedding dress! I think that’s such a great idea to do after the fact. Fuzzy sucks are the best and love the new tank!

Happy Monday!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…3 Key Relationship LessonsMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, the wedding dress shoot was a lot of fun! Although I don’t really know what to do with those pictures now, ha. Do I put them up in my house or is that weird??

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’d totally put them in your house. I don’t think it’s weird at all!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday #3My Profile

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 28, 2013 at 7:21 am

I hope your little man has a much better week. I bet it will get better as he gets used to a new routine. Your friend takes some awesome photos!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Stuffed Delicata SquashMy Profile

Kim October 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

She so does!

Thanks for the support Kim!