10 things about me
1. I come from a big family. 7 kids. It’s not unusual for me to have to count in my head how many of those are brothers.
2. I have a son named Mason. He is not named after Kourtney Kardashian’s son, and yes, it is quite a coincidence that I happened to be watching Keeping up with Kardashians a lot while I was pregnant. (No judgment.)
3. I can’t curl my hair. I just can’t do it. I’m pretty sure I could read a hair tutorial every day for the rest of my life and never master it. But I’ll never give up on you, effortless-looking beach waves.
4. I double-majored in Journalism and Spanish. People used to always ask me if that meant I was going to write for a Spanish newspaper. (??)
5. I love beer and camping. Especially when the two are combined.
A Hawaiian theme never hurts, either.
6. I don’t trust my own interior decorating decisions. Like, at all. If I change something in the living room and people don’t lavishly praise it the second they walk in, I become paranoid that it sucks.
7. I skipped first grade. It was traumatizing. Imagine growing up with kids who are always at least a year older than you. Imagine just getting your permit when all your friends can already drive. I’ll never forget how deflated I felt after a guy wrote in my freshman yearbook: “I’ll take you on a date, but only when you turn 15.” (Underlined 3 times.)
Now: young and proud
8. I have a fantasy alter ego who lives near the beach somewhere in Mexico, surfs every day, hangs out with locals at the cafecito, and is impossibly tan year-round. Also, by sheer coincidence, Blue Crush is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Actually surfing in Mexico while studying abroad, circa 2007.
9. I play the piano and sing. Sometimes. Rarely…What I’m saying is, I can do those things.
10. I’m not a natural runner or naturally thin, but I try to pretend I’m both.
I also like to pretend I can do pull-ups, whenever I encounter one of these poles of perfect chin-height.
My hair isn’t really that dark, either. THERE. Now all my secrets are out.