An intimidating purchase, my headache cure, and minimalist shoes

by Kim on July 9, 2013

Look what I bought for the first time in my life yesterday:

20130708_151520

Is it weird that it’s taken this long?

I guess pineapples intimidate me. The cutting process seems so intense and arduous, especially when you can easily buy them pre-cut.

I was inspired by my mother-in-law, who cut her own fresh pineapple over the weekend. Guys, it was easily the best pineapple I’ve EVER had. So melt-in-your-mouth soft, juicy, and extra sweet.

I haven’t sliced into this baby yet (I kinda like it as a centerpiece too), but I’m really praying I have the same number of fingers when I’m done.

Does anyone else get a little thrill out of stepping outside and discovering that something new is randomly in full bloom?

20130708_132644

We have these purple beauties in our backyard right now. I totally forgot these even flowered! (That’s right, we’ve been in this house for over 3 years and I’m still getting to know the landscaping.)

Speaking of thrills, what are your thoughts on my new headband?

20130708_152002

Ha—let me explain.

I get headaches very easily. My biggest triggers are hormonal changes, lack of sleep, unusual amounts of caffeine (either too much or too little), and alcohol. Although I (technically) have control over the caffeine and alcohol, there isn’t much I can do about the other two sometimes. I’m very familiar with the feeling of one of those nagging, dull-achy headaches coming on, and sometimes I’m blindsided by a full-on, nausea-inducing migraine.

I’ve never gotten much relief from painkillers. In my experience, there’s only one cure: numbing cold, combined with pressure to the right spot.

Anyway, I had a pretty bad headache last week, after being inexplicably up half the night with Mason (seriously, “inexplicable” doesn’t even begin to describe how perplexing the whole thing was—he wasn’t sick, just WIDE awake and ready to party). I ended up spending half the afternoon with a bag of frozen corn on my head, trying to press the kernels into my throbbing temple. I even tried to strap it on there (with, of all things, a tape measure) but it kept sliding around, and my neck hurt from trying to balance it on the one side of my head that hurt.

And that’s when I thought: if only there was such thing as an ice pack shaped like a headband.

I was all geared up to make millions on this—until a quick Google search informed me that someone else had beaten me to it. So I swallowed my pride, pushed aside my yacht-ownership dreams (for now), and bought one immediately.

20130708_151837

I can’t really say I’m looking forward to trying this, but I definitely feel better armed for the next attack.

If there are any other headache sufferers out there who are interested in trying this, or anything else from www.HotColdComfort.com, I got a little card with my purchase that included a coupon code for 10% off: ThankYou2013.

(P.S. I’m not getting compensated in any way for this post, nor do I have any kind of relationship with the company. Just eager to pass on the info, since I wish I’d known about this a long time ago myself!)

Did you catch the ChiRunning guest post last week, written by the creators of ChiRunning? I’m only bringing it up because Rachel asked a good question about minimalist running shoes, and I wanted to make sure everyone saw the Chi folks’ answer:

——————————————————————————-

In general, ChiRunning promotes wearing “less” shoe. You get more instant feedback on your running form when you don’t have a lot of cushion between you and the ground.

That being said, we definitely DON’T recommend suddenly switching from a cushioned shoe to a minimal shoe without transitioning. The muscles in your feet need time to strengthen, and if they don’t, you can get injured. If you’ve been wearing a shoe with a lot of cushion, such as a stability shoe, we’d recommend moving down to a neutral shoe. Walk in them at first to get a feel for them, and then start running in short distances with them. Gradually phase out your old shoes over a few weeks, and make sure you pay attention to any aches, pains or soreness you experience. And, always keep your focus on your form.

Here’s a great article on our site about transitioning to minimal shoes.

And, the number one thing to remember when getting new shoes is to make sure they’re comfortable. Everyone’s feet are different, so don’t let a salesperson talk you into a shoe that doesn’t feel right to you.

——————————————————————————-

I’ve been experimenting with the ChiRunning concepts and form tips lately, and my only complaint is: it just makes me go so dang fast. Which sounds like a good thing, except that it leaves me huffing and puffing—and confused, because I don’t feel like I’m working that much harder, but suddenly I can barely breath. My guess is that my forward lean is a little too far forward.

I’ve also been working—carefully—on correcting the overpronation on my right foot. I’ve been paying extra attention to the direction of my foot, and slightly twisting my entire leg to correct it when needed. At first, this felt crazy unnatural, but it’s already starting to get easier, and I haven’t gotten the knee pain I sometimes get in my right knee at all.

Ok, who’s got pineapple cutting tips?? Please leave them below.

What’s blooming in your yard right now?

Any other frequent headache sufferers out there? What are your triggers?

Are you a minimalist shoe fan?

I tend to go for the heavy-cushioning, because I’m a baby like that. But to be fair, I’ve never actually tried a minimalist shoe.

Melissa @My Peach Life July 10, 2013 at 8:15 pm

OMG! I get terrible migraines, I actually get Botox injections for them because they are so bad. I still get them every other month or so and when I get one I do them same thing you do, I grab a bag of frozen veggies or bag of ice and then push it into my right temple/eye brow area. I feel like the coldness and the pressure is the only thing that helps. I have even asked my husband to push his hand into the side of my head. This ice pack thing is perfect. I am ordering one tonight! Thanks for the coupon code and hope you feel better!
Melissa @My Peach Life recently posted…Food-Like Products and a Double PartyMy Profile

Kim July 10, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Hope it works for both of us!!

Presley @ Run Pretty July 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I like minimalist shoes! Granted, I’ve never really tried a true bare bones type shoe… just the Saucony and Nike versions that still resemble a shoe-like structure. :)

I have had a ridiculous amount of headaches lately. I blame eating all my meals in nacho or pizza form… Might need to work on that.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…My Favorite Group Fitness ClassesMy Profile

Aimee July 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I used to get headaches wicked bad and then I started cutting my own pineapple and poof they were gone!

I kid. Seriously, I get wicked migraines and my doctor told me I needed more riboflavin in my diet. When I’ve had a poor diet a super B Vitamin complex really seems to keep them at bay.
Aimee recently posted…Diggin ItMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:52 pm

hahahaha :)

Riboflavin, interesting! Headaches are so annoying because the potential causes/solutions seem to be legitimately endless. It’s like going to the doctor and saying “My body hurts. What should I do?”

Kim July 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I have started every single day out with Excedrine Migraine for over 5 years. I’ve mentioned it to my DR many times and she never seems bothered. She said that probably a lot of my headaches are rebound due to the caffeine in the meds and that since I don’t really take in any other caffeine it was OK. Usually taking the medicine first thing is enough to keep the headache at bay but somedays I have to take a 2nd dose.

BTW – the thing I noticed in the headband picture was your shoulders – they look great!!
Kim recently posted…The Power of ONEMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Wow, that’s very interesting. So you used to get migraines pretty regularly? I’ve tried Excedrin Migraine and haven’t had a ton of luck…especially if caffeine is part of the reason I got the headache in the first place.

Thanks for the compliment! I think my shoulders are just kind of bony, but I’ll still accept it. :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

Pineapples totally intimidated me at first too! And now, they don’t intimidate me, but I just hate cutting them up. I loooove pineapple though, so I sacrifice every once in awhile and buy one. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…How to Know When You’re Overdoing ItMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Phew, I was starting to feel like the only one! Thanks for relating. :)

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate July 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

I used to get awful headaches until about 5 years ago. I changed up my diet and ate less processed foods and more natural and it completely cured me. I hope your new “headband” works for you!!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Coconut SmoothieMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm

That’s awesome!! I wish a clean diet would fix me. :) Last year, my spine was pretty misaligned and I was getting horrible headaches from that–several trips to the chiropractor later, it was much better. But the triggers I mentioned still get me sometimes. Ugh! I really hope the headband works too. :)

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run July 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

I’ve never tried minimalist shoes, I’m always scared they’re going to make my knees hurt! With all the talk about the new Wave Sayonara’s though, I kind of want to try them.

There’s nothing better than fresh pineapple! I lived in Hawaii when I was younger and we LOVED going to the Dole pineapple plant. Now I’m seriously craving it – YUM!
Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…How to Eat SpaghettiMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Lived in Hawaii, you lucky girl! :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome July 9, 2013 at 8:57 am

I can’t believe this is your first pineapple purchase! We love fresh pineapple and they are so easy to cut. This is how I do it. First, cut off the top and bottom then stand it up and slice it in half then each piece in half again. Basically cut it into fourths. I then cut off the outer rind and the hard core from the center. Slice it in to whatever size you want and voila! Fresh pineapple! They make a pineapple slicer/corer that for some reason we purchased or got as a wedding gift but it didn’t work so I don’t recommend it :-) Good luck!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Vacationing with WyndhamMy Profile

Kim July 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Thanks for the help, Giselle! It probably won’t be bad at all, and I’ll kick myself for having avoided it for so long.

Katie @ running4cupcakes July 9, 2013 at 7:51 am

I don’t have any pineapple cutting tricks for you – good luck! :) I am currently trying my first minimalist running shoe from SKORA. So far, so good.