Beach pics! (Pt. II)

by Kim on August 19, 2013

It honestly took most of the weekend to recover from our Florida vacay. Sad but true. Mostly, I just needed massive amounts of sleep—and so did the little dude, who took TWO 2-3 hour naps both days (!), on top of sleeping through the night.

Despite how traumatic it was traveling with a toddler, and how legitimately happy I was to get home Friday night, I was definitely suffering from some post-vacation depression over the weekend. Just picturing the beautiful, calm ocean view from our balcony was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

When I wasn’t crying about the beach or zonked out on the couch watching Giuliana and Bill recordings, I tried to participate in some actual family weekend activities. Like going to the zoo.

Mason was somehow already tired within minutes of getting there, judging by all the winy complaining sounds coming from the stroller the entire time. Dang vacation jetlag.

But we forged on through all the standard activities anyway.

Riding the carousel…

Watching the zoo choo-choo go by…

Petting the goats, who were plotting escape (I was honestly nervous)…

And watching the giant tortoises, um, get to know each other…

Haha! I was mostly curious to hear what all the parents were telling the kids. There were some pretty loud grunting sounds going on and Brent overheard one kid ask, “Is he farting?”

I’m definitely not ready for that level of parenting yet.

Anyway! As promised, I do have some more vacation pics for you. I was going to do a full day-to-day rundown of events, but honestly, the days sort of blurred together. It was one big stream of sleep, eat, beach, pool, read, and repeat.

I absolutely LOVED our condo and the resort (we stayed here). The room was so comfortable, spacious, tastefully decorated, and surprisingly baby-proofed.

The resort itself was practically empty (I guess because of the odd time of year?). We actually had full pools to ourselves.

20130815_161807 (1)(My mom and sister)

There was never a ton of activity on the beach, either, which made it slightly less embarrassing to take random yoga pictures in the surf:

And, possibly the best part: there was never a shortage of beach chairs.

At first, I couldn’t decide if this sign was a joke:

But I guess it IS Florida.

Right after we took the picture below, someone walked by and said, “Is that giant black snake gone? Oh, he must have dropped down. He was right here.”

Yeah, I would not have been standing there so comfortably if I’d known there might be a GIANT BLACK SNAKE somewhere under me. I’m from the Midwest—we don’t know a thing about snakes, beyond “red on yellow, kill a fellow.” (I’d be willing to bet “giant black” could kill a fellow too, if he really wanted to.)

By the end of the week, Mason was a regular little beach baby.

He was totally enthralled by the seagulls, and looooved chasing them (poor things).

Back in the condo, he got lots of cuddle time with Grandma, thanks to her Kindle access to Mickey Mouse episodes. 100 points for Grandma!

Luckily, I didn’t have any trouble finding chow for the little food allergy dude. I drove off-island to a Publix and loaded up on all his staples (corn, baked beans, fruit, and chicken sausage are his primary food groups).

We had to sacrifice a few unopened food items at the end of the trip (like a giant can of spaghetti sauce—why’d I buy that??), but I can handle that being the worst thing to happen to us.

Man, I miss this…

Especially this…

I honestly might go back to this exact same spot for my next beach vacation. It was exactly what I was looking for, in every way.

xoxo, beach. Until next time.

What was the last vacation you took? Do you have one coming up?

Do you have a favorite beach spot?

Michelle August 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

Ooo – I love Sanibel! You really went at the best time – it’s off season right now :) I would be sad too!

I just got back from visiting family in MA – not really a vacation, but it was JUST me and the baby, so it kind of felt like one!
Michelle recently posted…Whirlwind Surprise TripMy Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, we lucked out–it was so quiet there!

I’d say that counts as a vacation, especially if your family includes willing babysitters who offered their services. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome August 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Looks like a wonderful vacation! I definitely miss the beach when we get home from vacationing there. Well, at least when we go to a more tropical beach. When we go to Norcal beaches it’s typically cold so I don’t mind coming home. The pictures of the tortoises is too funny!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Just a few marvelous things…My Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Haha I’m so glad you called out the tortoises! I was like, “did no one catch that??” It was hysterical. Seriously, what would you say to your kid??

Claire August 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

looks like you had a wonderful trip…hopefully we can get together with the kiddos sometime soon!

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Haha seriously! We’re struggling! :) Can’t wait to meet.

char eats greens August 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Ah, love it!! I’m back in school soon, but then we’re going to Florida for almost a month in December to January so I cannot wait!!! But no other vacations besides that. Hubby works hard in the summer!!
char eats greens recently posted…CSA pickup: week 9 (the best week to date + other groceries)My Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

A month?? NICE! That will be amazing!

I was so regretting only going down for 3 nights…Mason was just getting comfortable when we had to leave!

Ali August 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm

We have a family trip to California coming up with visit my in-laws for a couple days. We are going to the beach too. My son will be 6 months then, so I’m a little worried about flying out there and we are driving up the coast stopping at random spots. I hope he likes the car:)

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I think that’s actually a pretty good age for travel, because they’re still a little more flexible about sleeping in random places. Just make sure he’s drinking when you take off and land–it’s horrible watching them cry from ear pain with the pressure change. (Mason kept refusing to drink–I eventually had to shove water down his throat to force him to swallow, and then he recovered immediately.)

Have fun!!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate August 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Looks like you had a great time! I would love to plan a trip to Door County this Fall but not sure if its going to happen with the 6 weddings we have…yikes!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Madison Half Marathon RecapMy Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm

6 weddings, holy crap!! I’ve been thinking about Door County a lot lately too…so perfect in the fall!

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run August 19, 2013 at 11:12 am

We haven’t done a real vacation since right before I got pregnant with my now 5-year-old! We are definitely overdue. We’re in the early planning stages of one with some good friends for next summer though, so yay!

We have lots of runcation’s coming up – one in Space Coast and two in Disney! Definitely looking forward to those!
Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…So Long, Sweet SammyMy Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You are so, SO overdue, my friend!! Runcations count as long as you have a few days of leisurely time planned post-race. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes August 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

Kim – those pictures are awesome! And what fun memories you can have from this trip. :) I am glad that some things went better than expected – i.e. food! I know that even a short weekend trip to the Lake takes a lot out of Luke. . he takes extra long naps for a few days afterwards!! Looking at these pictures makes me excited for our trip to Coco Beach in December!

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Can’t complain about the long naps. :) Where is Coco Beach?? That’ll be awesome!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

Looks like so much fun. :) Post-vaca depression always hits me for a few days after we get back, so I totally get it!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Hunter’s First 5K + A Whole Foods DateMy Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I was seriously too depressed to even respond to this comment until now. :) Finally back to normal!!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine August 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

I haven’t been on an actual vacation in years :/ I haven’t even gone to the shore this summer even though I live 40 minutes away. But I do know the best beaches I have ever been to are in Myrtle Beach. The water was so warm and the beaches were lovely in the summer!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Power Monday #7 Sleek and Strong ArmsMy Profile

Kim August 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Oh good to know! We were actually considering going to Myrtle Beach, but we were looking for something a little more secluded. I really need to get there someday though.

You are definitely deserving of a decent vacay, girl!