Blog changes, hair drama, and women’s weight loss

by Kim on November 7, 2014

I know a lot of bloggers say that their Friday posts are random, but I’m secretly competing for the most random post of all time today. If you can find even a thread of a theme in this post, I’ll be horrified.

–We had a get together for the Madison Moms Blog (which I recently joined as a contributor) the other night, and it was such a blast!

First of all, check out this venue:

20141105_175923_LLS

We’re a little obsessed with our skyline around here. But I mean, come on, that capitol??

I had so much fun chatting with everyone (there are 16 members of the blog! Fellow bloggers, can you imagine having that much help?? ha!) and discovering my new favorite appetizer of all time: bacon-wrapped dates. WHY had I never had those (slash lived) before??

And of course, a blogger event wouldn’t be a blogger event without goodie bags.

IMG_6524

…including tiny bottles of wine, natch. We moms are so predictable.

(My husband probably just gagged a little reading the word natch. He hates abbrevs. Ha.)

Did you see that bag in the back? It’s like the mom version of the lululemon bags (from Evereve fka Hot Mama—cute clothes btw).

IMG_6528

Looks like we need a dog. These crumbs just aren’t cleaning themselves up.

–My 10 day no sugar challenge starts MONDAY!

Check out all the dets (—> sorry, had to) HERE.

10 days no sugar

Even if you’re not up for the full fledged challenge, feel free to join the Facebook group to follow along with your own version of a detox. Inspiration is universal. :)

–I’m thinking about getting a semi-dramatic hair cut. I love long hair, but I don’t love MY long hair. I think it’s time to get a little more practical with it.

I’m thinking…

hair

Of course, achieving those looks would mean I’d also have to learn how to curl my hair properly, which would mean I’d have to retire my primary identifier of being The Girl Who Sucks at Curling Her Hair.

Oh, and I’m also sort of interested in the shorter in back/longer in the front thing…

hair4

Thoughts?? Help!

–I’ve already mentioned this at least once, but I’ve been absolutely LOVING this women’s weight loss online conference. Seriously, I’ve just been so, so impressed. Some of the most knowledgeable people out there, doing some of the best—make that THE best—interviews on weight loss I’ve ever seen.

Main takeaway: it is NOT about eating less and exercising more. In fact, that approach could actually make things worse. Women’s bodies are regulated by hormones, which makes them super smart but also super complex. I’m so glad there are people out there who are helping us figure all this out!

I REALLY didn’t think I’d be saying this, but if you need answers for weight loss, then I would say that buying the full conference package is definitely worth it in this case.

I can’t recommend it highly enough!

–I laughed so hard at this:

“WHAT TIME IS IT???”

That’s all.

–Soo I’ve been contemplating a pretty major change to the way I blog.

I love blogging, but it’s tough when you work super hard on something to only have it last in the internet world for ONE DAY (maybe a few, and longer only in certain cases). For a long time now, I’ve been wanting to work on more permanent things. I think I’ve alluded to e-books and programs I’m interested in putting together, but I just don’t have the time to do it with regular blogging and, you know, that whole taking care of two kids thing.

I’m starting to wonder if regular, multiple-times-a-week blogging is the best outlet for me. I definitely want to stay connected to the community, and I want to be able to get my voice out there, but I might just need to do it in a slightly different way.

To be clear: this blog isn’t going anywhere. I’m just thinking about possibly blogging less, and devoting the leftover time to some other projects that I’m excited about.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, whether you’re a fellow blogger or (especially!) a reader.

Oh, and one more thing…

batman

Who’s pumped for the sugar challenge???

Get those pantries cleaned out ASAP! :)

Can anyone teach me how to curl resilient super-fine hair?

Seriously, any tutorials you can point me to?

Do you have any burning weight loss questions?

I couldn’t possibly summarize the entire conference, but if you’re wondering something specific, I bet they covered it, and I might be able to help!

Bloggers, have you ever considered a big change to the way you blog? What did you do and how did you decide?

Have a great weekend!

xo

Presley @ Run Pretty November 8, 2014 at 5:52 am

BLOG LESS? Are you crazy?

Kidding. I will support you in your decisions… I guess. But I also want to know more about your side projects. I’d love to do something like that, but I don’t really have any knowledge of any topics. Lame. But if you want to be a ghost writer for me, I’m down. ;)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Friday Favorites: YouTube VideosMy Profile

ellie | fit for the soul November 7, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Awwww that mommy poster is too cute! It speaks to me since I’m now a mom too, hehe :D The carpool driving is probably one of THE BEST PERKS of having baby in the car with ya. And I loooooooove that first hairdo in the collage! It’s neat, chic, cute, and sexy all at the same time.

ellie | fit for the soul November 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Oops sorry, just verified–not poster , “bag”!!!! :D

Giselle November 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Haha! Laugh out loud at that last picture with Batman. I think even more so since my son sings that tune and the transformers tune (even though he’s never seen it) all the time!

I’ve been dying to cut my hair but every time I go every one talks me out of it. I decided to go ombre but it’s taking so long and I HATE it when it’s dark so I’m getting over it. Love those styles you’re thinking about!

I feel you on getting over the whole blogging thing. I haven’t been that into it lately because I’ve been so busy. I’ve also been trying to really focus on destressing and healing my body so that hopefully I can carry a baby. Part of that destressing has been doing more things for myself like pedicures, going on walks, watching silly reality T.V shows and reading magazines. I try to have a few posts ready to go each week for days I don’t have anything in mind to write about or am just not feeling it. I know that’s not necessarily what people want to read but it works for me right now :-)
Giselle recently posted…Just one of those days…My Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West November 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Hi Kim! I went to a BlogHer event last night in San Francisco, and one of the founders of the company spoke, and she said people don’t have to blog everyday like they used to have to, because they should be spending more time building their brand and connecting with other bloggers. I guess that would work the same for you — don’t worry about doing it daily, as long as it’s quality. I’d love to see what’s up your sleeve … maybe an ebook? And that mini wine bottle in the gift bag is so cute. How fun you have a good group to meet up with! Happy Friday! :)
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: A gym bag, pumpkin + juicesMy Profile

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine November 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm

My super-fine thin long long hair is the same way! I would never cut it though!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 11/7/14My Profile

Jill November 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Hi Kim! I just discovered your blog and I love it! Also, I used to have hair down to my lower back, and chopped to collarbone-ish length this summer. It looked more polished, but man are those thick blunt ends a b* to curl/style compared to the longer stragglier ones! Takes more time, but would look great on you!
Jill recently posted…Weekends Lately – No Sunday Blues!My Profile

Alysia @ Slim Sanity November 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I think the asymmetric cuts are cute!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Do you ever get tired eating the SAME thing every day?My Profile

Karen November 7, 2014 at 11:49 am

I love the short in the back, long in the front hairstyle. I have long hair too and I’m thinking for winter, I should get a cut and I’ve been leaning towards that style!
Karen recently posted…shoulders, back and biceps dumbbell workoutMy Profile

Jessica November 7, 2014 at 11:49 am

My super thin pin-straight hair NEVER holds a curl. The only way I can get a curl to last is 1.) If a professional does that. How do I get famous so I can have my own personal hairstylist follow me around!?; and 2.) If I use a curling wand. Needless to say, Option 2 is what happens over here!

When I use the curling wand, my curls stay not only all day, but into the follow day (if I don’t need to wash my locks). I have the whole curling wand thing down, so if you need pointers, I’d be happy to help!

Katie@LifesNextBigStep November 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

Okay a few things here. 1. I’m super jealous of your blog group. Haven’t found one in Richmond yet (also, haven’t had time to look very hard either, so that could be the issue…). 2. Crumbs don’t clean themselves up. Dogs definitely take care of that for you. We now feed our dog VERY well. and by ‘we’ I mean ‘the toddler’. 3. So, I did the long in the front short in the back thing and loved it…for a couple weeks…until it started growing out…and now I’m in this weird it’s long but not long enough or short enough in the back and longer in the front and weird and AHHH…I’m hoping the prego hormones grow this mess out quicklike. So, just be warned… 4. I’m with you on the blogging thing. for now, I’m doing several times a week (if I’m lucky), but I just can’t make every day work (and have it enjoyable to read…if it even is now)…do what you gotta do!!
Katie@LifesNextBigStep recently posted…Fitness Friday – Weekly Workout Round Up #14 and #15My Profile