Blog happenings and fitness deals

by Kim on June 18, 2013

When you’re a little boy who loves cars and trucks, most days of the week pale in comparison to one specific, wonderful day.

GARBAGE. DAY.

20130618_122852

This kid cannot get enough.

For whatever reason, it seems to take the garbage and recycling trucks all morning to cover our neighborhood. I swear they pass our house 36 different times. Which makes this a BIG event for us.

20130618_122748

Our ritual usually involves roaming through the neighborhood, tailing the trucks. (I’m pretty sure the garbage truck guy recognizes us now.) But today we only had time to make it to the deck, shoeless. Because who thinks of shoes at a time like THIS?

When the activity died down, I brought Mason in for lunch, which included these guys:

20130618_123416

I think they’re creepy. Right?? Look at the evil one on the bottom.

Guess what! The lovely Giselle over at My Healthy Happy Home asked me to guest post for her blog while she’s on vacay. Giselle’s a fellow stay-at-home mama to an adorable little boy, and her blog is absolutely brimming with amazing recipes, workouts, DIY projects (she throws a MEAN birthday party), and mom stories.

Giselle

Anyway, my post went up today if you’d like to check it out. Then, make sure to stick around and browse Giselle’s site! Don’t blame me if you get hooked.

In other bloggy news, I spent a little time updating my Top Posts page the other day. Stop over and make sure you’ve caught all the hottest posts in Healthy Nest history!

For example, have you read…

…the (SPOILER ALERT) horrors of my first hot yoga class?

Hot Yoga

…my thoughts on why fat shaming doesn’t work?

fat shaming

…the reasons people who run races are totally insane?

crazy people

…this list of 10 ways to recycle your old race shirts?

10 Ways to Recycle Old Race Shirts

…or how about the Great Ball Recipe Roundup?

Great Ball Recipe Roundup

And while we’re on the topic of blog housekeeping, a quick note to the Google Reader fans of the world: you have less than 2 weeks to find a replacement! (Google Reader is being discontinued on July 1.)

I’ve been using Bloglovin’ and I’m, er, lovin it. It was super easy to transfer my reading list over from Google Reader, and I’m already really comfortable with the new site. I’ve also heard great things about Feedly, and it looks like Digg is working on something new, too.

If you’re still on the hunt for an alternative to GR, check out this helpful blog post by Julie (aka “savvy Julie” aka the author of Savvy Eats), which appeared on Healthy Living Blogs a few months ago.

Savvy Julie

I’m waaay overdue for a Trader Joe’s trip, so Mase and I are off, but first I wanted to share a few quick fitness deals with you:

–Get a 30-day upgrade to the pro version of PumpUp with code PRO30. (The base-level version is free.) PumpUp is a personalized workout/coaching app for the iPhone, which I would totally try if I had an iPhone, and I was offered this code through my association with SweatPink.

PumpUp

–Get 50% off a YogaDownload.com membership with this Groupon! $12 for a 3-month membership or $29 for a whole YEAR. Umm, that blows $100/month yoga studio memberships out of the WATER.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, guys!

Which Google Reader alternative are you going for?

Have you ever tried PumpUp?

I like the concept, and would love to give it a shot someday.

GiGi Eats Celebrities June 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm

WHATTTT! I am pissed someone took a photo of me during hot yoga… And you found it! ;)
GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Jurassic Stomach ProblemsMy Profile

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples June 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm

LOL @ that scary smiley face! And the garbage truck adventures :) I need to find a new reader thing – right now i just have a running list of bookmarks (i’m like the least tech-y person ever haha)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…Channing Tatum Talks Psychotropic DrugsMy Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 8:28 am

You’ll LOOOVE a reader once you get used to it! :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 19, 2013 at 8:48 am

Such a good guest post!! Have fun at TJs. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for writing such an wonderful post for my while I was away!
The Love Nugget LOVES garbage trucks too and even though we live on a court they drive by our house several times too!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Guest Post from Kim at Healthy Nest!My Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

You’re very welcome!

I honestly don’t understand garbage truck routes. So confusing. :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I’m stoked I just discovered your blog today over on Giselle’s blog! Great guest post. I’ve been having fun poking around on your blog getting to “know” you a bit better. :) I look forward to reading more!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…For Your Reading PleasureMy Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

Nice to “meet” you Ashley! :) Glad you stopped by!

Kim June 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I remember the days when we stood and watched the garbage trucks (and followed them down the road) – such a fun age!!!
I love BlogLovin’!!
Kim recently posted…Resistance Bands – Whole Body WorkoutMy Profile

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness June 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Hahaha garbage day is a HUGE deal over at our house too. M.T. is in front of the window all morning looking for “frucks” (though usually, he drops that ‘r’).
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Holy CRAP It’s THIS Weekend!!!My Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 9:32 am

HAHAHAHA :) I can’t wait until my son starts talking, for that exact reason.

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy June 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I love your post on Giselle’s blog and all of your adorable pictures of your little guy! I haven’t tried PumpUp, or heard of it. Since I have an iphone, I’ll have to check it out!
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…Handful Sports Bra Review and Giveaway!My Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 9:31 am