CXWORX and new realities of being a group ex instructor

by Kim on April 13, 2015

Finally: SPRING!!

small

(They’re excited, I swear.)

I am in FULL ON spring clean-and-purge mode. Anyone else feeling it??

Everywhere I look in my house, I see something I want to clean, sell, or throw away. And the #1 feeling, after doing one of those things, is: why didn’t I do this a LONG time ago??

So my weekend was a perfect mix of relaxation and productiveness. Along with the usual movies and pizza, I cleaned out two (TWO) disastrous closets, painted Josh’s soon-to-be bedroom (so long, guest bedroom! Sighhh…), cleaned a few things, took two giant bags of stuff to Goodwill, and sold some things online.

(Side note: why is Craigslist SOO sketchy?? Is it really that fun for people to pretend to want to buy things and then bail? Confuuuusing…)

I also went to my first CXWORX class! (Finally! It’s been on my To Do list forever.)

cxworx

CXWORX is a 30-minute core training class inspired by workouts personal trainers use. So lots of planking, resistance band work, and single arm/leg moves (anything one-sided forces the core to participate more to keep you stable).

My reaction: I think I liked it!

I had the typical first-timer problem of not knowing what I was doing half the time (picture lots of fumbling around with a resistance band)—and then, three blinks later, the class was over (30 minutes really flies in a group class). So I felt like I could have gotten a better workout, but I know my rookieness was 99.9% to blame for that.

One of the critiques of CXWORX I’ve heard is that they include crunches, which are sort of frowned upon in the fitness community these days. (The problem: they force you to bend the spine too much and can strain the neck. Better options are planks and resistance moves that keep your spine in neutral.) But honestly, I think we only did a handful of oblique crunches—and there is a semi-safe way to do them (check out this video for more on all that).

Bottom line: love the brevity of the class, love (most of) the moves, and I’ll definitely be back!

Moving on…

Right now, I’m supposed to be learning the next release of BodyFlow (my gym is launching it in early May), but for some reason, I just can’t bring myself to start.

This is a totally new problem for me—usually, I’m pumped to dive into learning fresh stuff. What I think is happening is that I’ve now learned JUST enough tracks to start getting picky. With this release, I’m not super inspired by the new songs, the choreography isn’t my favorite, and I’m generally feeling pretty meh about the whole thing.

20150413_112110

So THIS is what it’s really like to be a group exercise instructor…

(It’s also a lot like this. <—I had to post that on my FB page recently. SO. True. Kind of BodyFlow-specific, but I’m sure a lot of it applies to other formats too.)

I’m just trying to remind myself that everyone likes different things…so, who knows, the release I don’t love might be my participants’ favorite one EVER.

Have you tried any new fitness classes lately?

Is spring giving you the clean and purge itch too?

Have a great week!

xo

Annette@ FitnessPerks April 28, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi Kim, fellow LM instructor here! Your vacation looked so fun, by the way :)

I teach CXWORX and love, love the program. It changed my core in just 6 weeks of teaching it 2x/week back when I first started, and it helped me get stronger in all the other classes I teach during & after pregnancy (and again in this pregnancy). I totally agree that the first time can feel/seem overwhelming and a bit trying to figure out if you like it.

I love, love teaching CX, and it’s done wonders for many of my participants as well!

p.s. one day I’d love to certify in Flow! That’s so so cool you teach it! (I teach PUMP,ATTACK,GRIT,CX for LM and then Zumba as well).

Kia kaha!

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples April 21, 2015 at 7:42 am

I miss taking classes *SO* much!! I don’t live close enough to a gym to justify the drive (and who are we kidding: I’d probably use it as an excuse not to go lol) so I’ve been stuck with DVD workouts and stuff I make up on the go – which is fine, but reading about all your class stuff always makes me miss it like crazy! Ahhh :( lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…A Funny Little Story About Rocket FuelMy Profile

Emily April 15, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I haven’t tried new fitness classes lately. I’ve actually been trying a bunch of new fitness videos off of Youtube.

And yes, I love spring, because it’s so fun to just purge out the junk you don’t need, clean out the crevices, and just lighten up!
Emily recently posted…Treadmill or Dreadmill?My Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 14, 2015 at 10:29 am

I’d love to try CXWORX sometime. Unfortunately, they don’t have it at most gyms here in Arizona, but hopefully someday I can get around to one when I travel somewhere else. I’ve definitely experienced what you’re feeling regarding new releases with BodyPump and RPM, but you’re SO right…one of my least favorite releases/tracks could be another person’s favorite! We all have different tastes which is why I love that Les Mills incorporates such a variety. I’ve also realized that many (not all) tracks/releases I don’t initially like grow on me with time. Good luck learning your new release! Love that you’re teaching and loving it! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Post Strength Workout Snack IdeasMy Profile

Kim April 15, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Ashley! I hope this one grows on me. :)

Giselle April 13, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I’ve definitely been feeling the urge to spring clean. Although finding the time is not the easiest. With the warmer weather, we just want to be outside playing!
Giselle recently posted…Marvelous Monday – Giveaway Winners!My Profile

Kim April 15, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Yes! Same here! Although we’re still strapped to the house a lot with nap times. (Which has been TOUGH in the mornings, when Josh is sleeping and Mason is restless…can’t wait to drop that AM nap!)

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 13, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Hi Kim! I find that if I don’t like a new release right away, it will grow on me. I just launched that latest BODYPUMP and BODYATTACK releases last week, and I love them both. I’m certified in CXWORX as well, but only teach is every once in a while. However, I do it at home at least once a week. It’s a VERY hard program to teach because of the intensity of the work, and I find that most people have trouble with the form as participants. Give it a few more tries and you’ll be hooked! Nice work on all your tasks from the weekend. Happy Monday! :)
Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…A sunny weekend recap and my weekly workoutsMy Profile

Kim April 15, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I’m hoping the release will grow on me! And yes, I’m sure I’ll like CXWORX more the more I go–who knows, maybe I’ll get certified someday too, haha. Have a great week!!!