Doing less of what you don’t love and more of what you do

by Kim on September 8, 2014

Morning guys! I’ll kick things off with a few pics from our weekend…

20140906_114631

We spent Saturday morning at the children’s museum, and Mason could NOT have been happier.

20140906_115645

Josh slept through the whole thing—and I could not have been happier.

20140906_115749

Why, yes, that is a squirrel I’m holding!

It was that or the alarmingly oversized frog.

20140906_114542

I swear this kid smiles…

20140906_121508

Homemade ‘za (of the felt variety):

20140906_122323

Practicing for his senior pictures, just a couple years early:

20140906_115203

The rest of the weekend was pretty low key…a movie Saturday night (we rented Night Moves—intense!), church on Sunday (Josh and I mostly hung out in the moms’ nursing room, but still got to catch the sermon on video), and a visit from some friends yesterday afternoon.

This morning, we have our newborn/family photos for Josh. The photographer is coming to our house, which is nice, but I’m SO nervous about how everything will go. Will Mason cooperate? Will I look like a bloated blob? Will Josh poop everywhere? <— (You should definitely click that. Hilarious.)

Wish us luck!

If you need a little Monday morning motivation to kick off your week, here’s an idea I heard recently:

If you want to do less of something, make it harder.

If you want to do more of something, make it easier.

Say you want to eat less junk food. You don’t want to totally cut yourself off, since that’ll just make you feel deprived and crave it even more. But you don’t want to have easy access to it either.

Here are a few ideas:

–Arrange the food in your fridge/pantry from healthiest to least healthy, with the junkiest foods way in the back. Not only are you ensuring that the least healthy options aren’t the first ones you see when you open the door, but the little bit of extra work it takes to dig to the back might just be enough to distract/deter you.

–If the vending machine at work is your weakness, don’t carry change or small bills (at least at work). I struggled with this big time when I was working, and keeping my purse coin-free saved me multiple times!

–Keep your house junk-food-free, and bargain with yourself that you can have whatever you’re craving…but you have to go to the store to get it, on the spot (and just a single serving, if possible). Even better: instead of driving to the store, can you run there?

For something you want to do more of…say you want to get up earlier in the morning. How can you make that easier?

A few ideas:

–Plan a breakfast or morning beverage (new coffee flavor?) you will look forward to.

–Use a sleep app that can time your alarm to wake you up at the most optimal time (when you’re not in a deep sleep).

–Lay out your clothes the night before. If you’re getting up early to work out, wear your workout clothes to bed (try the “just add sports bra” approach).

–Build in extra time to do something you’ll enjoy before you start your morning routine, like reading over a cup of coffee or a few minutes of yoga.

–Keep curtains/blinds open all night so the first sun gets into your room.

What’s something you want to do more or less of?

What are some ways you might be able to make that thing easier/harder?

Have a great week!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 9, 2014 at 10:49 am

Good luck with the photos!

That saying also works for fitness too: if you want to do less minutes of a workout, make it harder & then you don’t have to go as long :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted…25 Things About MeMy Profile

Danielle September 8, 2014 at 10:56 pm

The pictures from the children’s museum are great! My parents took the girls this spring and they had a blast.

I’m trying to make ice cream harder to get. I was keeping it in the house, but then I was eating it every day. If I’m really craving ice cream now I have to walk a half mild or so to the local shop. I also totally agree with the sleep in your workout clothes idea. I wear sports bra and all if I’m planning a morning run.
Danielle recently posted…Late Summer Adventures (& a Giveaway!!)My Profile

Giselle September 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Yeah for newborn photos! Can’t wait to see them.
Lately I’ve been focusing more on letting go of things as a way to relieve some of the stress in my life. Even when I don’t feel stressed evidently my body is so I’m learning to just let go. It’s been hard but I’m actually beginning to feel better!
Giselle recently posted…MIMM – AMRAP Bar Winners!My Profile

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Congrats on your newest addition! I’ve been on vacation, so I totally missed when you had your son!

I’m trying to stop worrying so much and just let things go. There are a lot of things going on in our life right now and it’s hard to not stress over it. I know things will work out in the end, but it’s so hard in the meantime!
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…MIMM – A Marvelous Time At Disneyland!My Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West September 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Looks like a nice weekend. I’m trying to stop chewing so much gum. So I’m not buying it, and that has made quitting it a whole lot easier!
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…My weekly workout and fitness recapMy Profile

Alysia @ Slim Sanity September 8, 2014 at 1:55 pm

All such great tips! The vending machine was a really hard one for me to break when I started working on a campus again. I stopped carrying cash so that was how I’d try to break myself of the habit!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Weekly Meal Plan: September 7 – September 13My Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes September 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

Good luck with the photos today!! If I am going to work out in the morning, I will always wear my sports bra to bed – it makes it that much easier to roll out of bed and put on my other workout clothes. . .
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Weekend Update: 9/7/14My Profile

char eats greens September 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

I am wishing you luck with the photo sesh today!!!
char eats greens recently posted…toronto vegetarian food festival 2014: 30th year & 3rd visitMy Profile