Don’t be a cheese pizza

by Kim on November 12, 2013

Yesterday, I ended up staying home with a sick kid—my first sick day ever that wasn’t actually for me! Mase just has a cold, and was in pretty good spirits, but we thought we’d spare the other kids at daycare from all his snot and coughing.

Pro: Getting to sleep in a little and spending one more day with my buddy.

Con: Having easy access to windows, so I had to watch all this happen:

IMG_3892

IMG_3891

Sure, the first snow of the season is “pretty,” but I know what it means. I know what’s coming, and what won’t leave for another 5 months. And I don’t like it.

At least I got spared from my first snowy commute in 2 years—another thing that’s not high on my Favorites list.

The other night, I was playing around on a site called Wordle (do not ask me how I got there—I have no clue, but it has something to do with what I call “the internet vortex”). You can paste in a bunch of text or a URL, and it spits out a pretty looking word cloud.

Here’s what I got when I plugged in this blog:

word cloud 2_thumb[4]

Umm, I’m pretty sure it must just be looking at the last few posts, because I’m positive I don’t talk about some of these things as much as this suggests. Look at all the references to cookie/cookies, cake, pumpkin, gingersnaps, and—what?—butter! Haha! Unfair representation.

Um…right?

As for really, much, and like—definitely accurate. I’m all about the unnecessary superlatives.

But let me guess: you didn’t come here to hear about that. You came to find out what’s up with the weird title on this post.

Part of my new job, as I’ve mentioned, is to stay up-to-date on current marketing trends. This leads me to read lots of blogs—one of my favorites of all time being Copyblogger.

Last week, I was reading an article on Copyblogger about a guy named Ryan Masters, who runs a really successful online men’s fitness business called The Workout Corner.

The article itself is fascinating, especially if any of you’re thinking about starting your own business. But in his interview for the article, Ryan said something about marketing that I thought was also really applicable to blogging, and possibly even life in general. He said:

“One of the biggest things I’ve learned is this: don’t be a cheese pizza.

Cheese is plain and boring. Sure, everyone likes it, but no one loves it. You need readers to love you. In order to do that, you’re gonna need some haters. Meat Lover’s Pizza has lovers and haters. So does veggie pizza.”

For us visual learners:

not you

(I’m sorry that you’re now craving pizza.)

Sometimes, I get nervous about haters. It seems like every blogger has some story of a comment or commenter that just shattered them. And then I wonder: if I don’t have haters, does that mean I’m just being super bland and non-confrontational?

The cheese pizza theory suggests that having a hater or two just indicates that you’re putting yourself out there, and letting your personality and opinions fly. (Which is the whole point of blogging, after all.)

The same goes for life. If you think about it, we’re always marketing ourselves, whether we realize it or not. It’s how we build relationships. Our self esteem depends on it, and our happiness depends on our self esteem.

Not everyone’s gonna love what we put out there, but if we’re veggie pizza, we have to be veggie pizza. We’re not going to be as happy being cheese, even if it makes some people like us more. (Plus, people can tell…you know how you can still kind of taste the olives on pizza even if you pick them off?)

So that’s my deep thought for the day.

What do you think?

Is the pizza theory applicable to your blog/life?

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome November 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I agree that it’s important as a blogger to put yourself out there. Not everyone is going to love what I have to say and when I first started blogging I was fearful of that. However, I’ve learned how important it is to stay true to yourself and voice your opinions. That’s part of the reason I write a blog :-) Hope Mason feels better soon!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Marvelous Baked Paleo Apple Cinnamon PancakeMy Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 9:01 am

Agreed! Thanks, he’s feeling much better. Sleep is still a little wacky though–I can’t decide if he’s just a little off from sickness or if we’re going through a real sleep regression. Ughhh… :)

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food November 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I love this! It is so true!! Cheese pizza is good but very plain jane. I hope my blog isnt cheese pizza….. I just recently started blogging so I dont have any haters that I know of yet :)

Kim November 13, 2013 at 9:00 am

I hope that if either of us does have haters, they just stop reading. :) I feel like people forget that they can do that sometimes.

Britt @ A Life Worth Living November 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I totally agree! I realized I was a cheese pizza recently, writing only about what I ate or what workout I did and it was a snooze to read. I’m working on putting myself out there with opinions and actually being personable on my blog.
Britt @ A Life Worth Living recently posted…Thank YouMy Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:59 am

It’s tough!! I think everyone (including myself) kinda starts out sounding like someone else and eventually works up to being herself. It’s just like anything else–takes practice!

Katie November 12, 2013 at 8:38 am

Love this! I happened to be eating a breakfast pizza while reading, so I’m not mad at all! I hope your company offers plenty of sick days, and I hope he starts feeling better!
Katie recently posted…Not What I ExpectedMy Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:57 am

Haha I actually have zero sick days–I had to borrow from the (distant) future. Oh well. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 12, 2013 at 8:15 am

so true and a great reminder about being who YOU are and not trying to be anyone else!! hope Mason is feeling better. Luke has the same cold going on right now. . .

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:56 am

I knew he was going to be sick a lot once he started daycare, but it’s just frustrating! He went from cold to ear infection to another cold, and now it seems like he’s teething…just a mess! Building up the old immune system right? It’s worth it though: he looooooves daycare now!

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 13, 2013 at 9:17 am

Ahhhh that makes me so happy – not really the colds, but that he is loving daycare!!! Luke does too! And those colds are great for the immune system. ;)

danielle November 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

I have been reading your blog for a while, and love it! I think this is definitely true. Blogging is like life–not everyone will love you. Especially if you are staying true to yourself, your opinions, your beliefs, etc.

Also, this (“Not everyone’s gonna love what we put out there, but if we’re veggie pizza, we have to be veggie pizza. We’re not going to be as happy being cheese, even if it makes some people like us more.”) made me think of My Best Friend’s Wedding and the jello v. creme brulee scene :)

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hahaha I totally thought about that, too, as I was writing it! :) “You’re never gonna be jello!”

Thanks for reading, Danielle!

sarah @ sarah learns November 12, 2013 at 7:58 am

ohhhhhh the snow. it was great being at work, watching my car get covered, and realizing that my scraper is in the garage. woops! thankfully, just 2 minutes of warming up the car + defrosting got rid of any built-up flakes!

also, i love cheese pizza, but i get the idea behind the comparison.
sarah @ sarah learns recently posted…i made a clutchMy Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ugh, that is no fun!! I’m so not used to that–at my last job, I parked in a covered ramp. This year’s going to be a little different! :(

Haha, I guess there are people who love cheese. They just seem more rare.

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate November 12, 2013 at 7:07 am

Love this! Especially the picking the olives off of the pizza part…so true. I tried using Wordle but I must be missing a plugin-I’ll have to try messing with it later. As for the snow, I am…Just.Not.Ready.
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Madison Marathon RecapMy Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:52 am

I know you have to have Java up to date (it’s a free download). Other than that, I’m not sure what’s happening there! It was fun, but like I said, I don’t think it was really representative of my whole blog. :)

Ughhhh snow…I’m so scared.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat November 12, 2013 at 7:00 am

Well…yes, now I’m craving pizza! ;-) But in all seriousness, I like this theory and I think it’s so true. As bloggers, we are putting ourselves out there and that does open us up for some negativity, but we need to be prepared for that kind of thing. We can’t please everybody, right!?!

Hope your little guy feels better today!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Totally Random Bits of Info #4My Profile

Kim November 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

Exactly. A tough lesson to learn (I’m still learning it), but an important one!