Friday faves {holiday edition}

by Kim on December 5, 2014

WOAH, how is it Friday? This week has been NUTS.

I’ve been busy prepping that magazine piece I was telling you about on Monday, and the interviews/writing work have been eating up my blogging time. BUT I’ll be wrapping that up this weekend and, hopefully, back to full blogging action next week! (Whatever that means?)

Despite all the craziness, I couldn’t resist stopping in for a few Friday Faves.

First of all, Trader Joe’s + the holidays = magic.

20141204_103730

The Peppermint Joe Joe’s were a no-brainer, as they are every year, and the caramel taste test looked too fun to pass up.

The caramels come in all these crazy flavors, like blood orange balsamic and strawberry black pepper (shockingly good!), and the idea is to divide them into fourths, put toothpicks in them, and have party guests guess the flavors.

I thought it’d be a great gift—but, duh, I had to make sure everything tasted ok first…

Plaid has been super trendy for awhile now, but throw the holidays into the mix, and suddenly we have plaid on steroids. It’s EVERYWHERE, people.

Some of my tops picks…

–These new TOMS:

TOMS

I’m still at the “would I wear them?” stage with these (given how characteristically boring I am about footwear), but I definitely love the idea of them…

Christmas jammies from Victoria’s Secret:

xmas jammies

I think I want to do Christmas jammies for the boys this year (mostly, I just can’t resist the photo op)…umm, does that mean I get to hop on board too??

–Blanket scarves like these:

blanket scarves

Images from Brooklyn Blonde and Bows and Sequins

Apparently these scarves were huge last year…um, where was I?

Oh yeah: it’s completely standard for me to come in a year late on any given trend.

Speaking of scarves, how cute is this one?

tassel scarf

Amazing what a little tassle can do for cuteness factor.

Along with chocolate and plaid, the other crucial ingredient for the holidays is obviously: SPARKLES.

Like, how about these glittery Fabletics crops:

glitter crops

Or these shimmer stripe tights from Athleta:

shimmery stripe

And, ok this isn’t exactly sparkly, but I LOVE this new lululemon tank:

think fast tank

Maybe I just mostly love that it comes in the “heathered boom juice” color. Whoever came up with that name deserves a raise.

Here’s something sort of sparkly (we’re really stretching now): I got a free sample of professional teeth whitening gel from a Moms’ Night Out event I went to a few days ago.

20141204_100513

I haaaate standard drug store whitening strips because they make my teeth SO sensitive, to the point where I just want to rip them out of my gums (gross), but the reps at the event insisted that professional whitening isn’t as painful.

I’ll be the judge of that.

Oh yeah—the Moms’ Night Out! It was through the Moms’ Blog, so I was sort of/kind of technically co-hosting it, but I ultimately did absolutely nothing except sip my adult beverage and talk to people. (My kind of hostessing duties!)

20141202_202104

100+ moms gathered at a local bowling alley (of all places) for a festive night of eating, drinking, and shopping. There were vendors from all over town, lots of giveaways, a fun photo booth, and free acupuncture. We also had the option to bowl, buuuut yeah…I made sure to accidentally forgot to do that. (Not a huge bowler here.)

I have just a couple more faves for you—both completely unrelated to the holidays:

–If you’re wondering why crash diets don’t work (and what does work), watch this.

(I now have to go watch ALL of that guy’s YouTube videos when I get a chance.)

–This is definitely worth a read: 5 Dumb Things Weight Loss Gurus Say

And of course, a list of favorites wouldn’t be complete without some pics of my boys. Mason totally adores his little bro—I’m shocked by how much!—and it’s so fun to watch them together.

20141204_104337

Some mornings, he wakes up cranky and all I have to say is “want to go see Baby Joshie?” to perk him right up. It’s like flipping a light switch—he goes running, looking for him.

20141204_100727

It kills me. <3

Have a great weekend!

xo

char eats greens December 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Ok, I seriously love every clothing/shoe item from this post, which means we have similar style, which means I could probably come to your house and raid your closet ;).

That moms group looks like it was a huge success. Now, to find one in Orlando!
char eats greens recently posted…friday facts for funMy Profile

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples December 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Yay for sparkles on everything!! :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…Indiegogo Campaign Is Live!My Profile

Emily @ More Than Just Dessert December 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Ummmm, I definitely bought those peppermint joe joes last sunday. They were all gone by tuesday night. hahaha Most addicting TJ’s find ever!

Liv @ Healthy Liv December 5, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Love the sparkly leggings! I’m still not sold on the idea of Fabletics because I usually like picking out individual pieces instead of buying entire outfits, but have you tried anything from there yet? There’s so much cute stuff so I may have to give it a try!
Liv @ Healthy Liv recently posted…Study Breaks + De-Stressing with DogsMy Profile

Giselle December 5, 2014 at 4:46 pm

OH those TOMS! I asked The Hubby for those VS jammies a few weeks ago so hopefully they are under the tree for me :-) I also asked for a bunch of Lulu clothes but might have purchased a few for myself in the meantime… They were on sale so how could I pass them up?
Giselle recently posted…Weekend plans and Love Nuggetisms latelyMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I just went and bought that Think Fast tank online thanks to you! I love it!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Fitness Friday: Crossfit WODMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I’m loving absolutely everything you listed – the plaid TOMS, the VS jammies (I put some on my Christmas list!), the blanket scarves. Looks like you’re loving the plaid just as much as I am this year. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Friday Favorites: 12/05/14My Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West December 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Hi Kim! I’m also loving plaid and scarves. Oh and fun jammies? I get a new set at Christmas every year and LOVE to wear them year-round. Super cool, huh? :)
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: Decor, bars, boots + a drinkMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes December 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm

OMG I die at the cuteness of your boys together – adorable!! And those sparkly leggings – LOVE!! And I NEED those caramels from TJs!! #necessary. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Friday Favorites: 12/5/14My Profile

Kim December 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Agreed on all 3 things :)

Katie December 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Taste of Caramels? I’m going to need to get to Trader Joe’s.
Katie recently posted…St. Paul Turkey Trot 10k 2014My Profile

Kim December 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Yes ma’am you do! And those are just two of the MANY holiday specials they have right now. It’s kind of overwhelming actually.

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Oh man, I was JUST at TJ’s and I (intentionally) skipped the aisle with all of the Christmas treats. I’m kicking myself now. I did get an Inner Peas bag and ate the entire thing while driving home. #winning And before you spend a lot of money on teeth whitening, you should check out my post on using H2O2 – works like a charm and it’s less than $1/bottle :) http://www.olivesnwine.com/2014/05/28/trick-affordable-white-smile/
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Friday FavsMy Profile

Kim December 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Haha, I don’t know how you avoided the holiday goodies–they were littered alllll over our store! Every end cap was something new taunting me. :)

I remember reading that post of yours! Then I Googled it and saw lots of conflicting info about how safe/effective that method is, so I got scared, haha. But then again…I dump coffee on my teeth every day, so I’m not exactly a picture of dental health and purity. :) Maybe I should give it a shot. Thanks!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine December 5, 2014 at 11:50 am

Okay….now my Christmas wish list just got longer ;) Haha! Those scarves, Toms, and that Lulu Tank!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 12/5/14My Profile

Kim December 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I knooow! I want ALL THE THINGS. :)