Friday phone date

by Kim on November 8, 2013

Hey guys! TGIF!

I have a busy weekend ahead. I’ll be working at the Madison Marathon Expo Saturday (I’m on the marketing team for another race, and we hit all the local expos), followed by (hopefully) lots and lots of NASM studying and some much needed housecleaning.

Of course, weekends are never as long and luxurious as I think they are in my head, so who knows how far I’ll actually get with that list (lookin’ at you, housecleaning).

Today, I’m here with some random life updates, in the form of a Friday phone date.

Friday Phone Date

If we were having a phone date right now, I’d tell you that…

…I’m loving my job more and more every day. One part of my job is to manage the blog and social media accounts for the agency, and gee, who wouldn’t love sitting on FB and Twitter all day and getting paid for it?

Another part of my job is “staying up-to-date on current trends,” which means I get to read blogs and get paid for it. Can’t complain.

…I’m just not feeling the Mac, guys. I know a lot of you are diehard Appletans, so don’t take this personally. It’s not that it’s hard to use a Mac, it’s just such a pain to switch from a PC at home to a Mac at work. The keys are in different places, the X is in the wrong corner, and tons of random features I’m apparently really attached to just don’t exist on Macs.

I actually talked to the IT guy about getting a PC! We’ll see.

…I’m starting to decorate my office!

20131104_141243

Yes, I’m calling this boring poster I found online “decoration.” Also featured on my cork board: the sugar packet I found in the break room that was fully sealed with NO SUGAR IN IT (I was having one of those punchy days where I found that really, really funny).

Oh, and I brought in a lamp.

I guess I’m just not really the office-decorating type…

…Mason seems to be loving daycare! Brent (who’s still managing drop-off) says he stands by the door in the morning saying “Go!” and when they arrive at his classroom, he waves bye-bye (tear free!!) and heads in to play. This is MAJOR.

The only problem, now, is what happens we he gets home. He hasn’t been napping very long during the days and will barely touch their food, so he comes home STARVING and EXHAUSTED. Meanwhile, Brent and I are eager to take advantage of the 2 measly hours we get to spend with him per day (isn’t that ridiculous??), but all the poor kid wants is a hot meal and a warm bed. (Amen, brother.)

…I’ve been making crock pot meals like a fiend. Brent’s favorite is 2-ingredient BBQ chicken (chicken thighs cooked in plain ol’ BBQ sauce all day—typical man food). Last night, I made a pork loin smothered in spicy mustard and honey, topped with apple slices. I was supposed to add apple juice, but only had applesauce on hand, and it worked like a champ!

I’m anticipating a “fav crock pot recipes” post in my future. Any recommendations??

…I’ve discovered a great way to force myself to eat raw carrots. It’s called “bring them to work and make sure you have no other options.”

20131105_114657

It’s sort of working—except that my company seems to have a habit of making random food available in the break room. Like, this week, DOUGHNUTS and CANDY CORN.

…I actually look forward to my morning commute. It’s basically forced “me” time, where I get to relax and drink coffee and not feel guilty that I’m not doing anything productive. And I’m ob-sessed with podcasts.

Notice I didn’t say commute in general. In the morning, the traffic is usually flowing pretty well, so it’s an easy trip in. In the afternoon, I get stuck in jams almost every day, regardless of what time I leave (I’ve experimented). And my road rage trigger is a sensitive one.

…I’ve discovered that the busier I am, the more motivated I am. I’m totally shocked at how much I’ve been getting done—I think it’s because I have no choice. Like, if I didn’t do a load of laundry last night, Mason wouldn’t have any clean pants to wear today. If I didn’t force myself to get up a little earlier this morning, despite being bone tired, this blog post wouldn’t have made it up. (Which would have been TRAGIC.)

Anyway, my point is: we’re doing ok over here.

But I’m still so, so, so glad it’s almost the weekend.

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 11, 2013 at 9:47 am

I do the same trick with carrot sticks. . . ;) And Luke has the same problem coming home after daycare – it’s pretty much a mad dash for dinner, books and bedtime because he is so tuckered out from playing hard all day.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

So glad to hear everything is going well and you’re loving your job! If I were to go back to work, I think a job in social media would be right up my alley too.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Life Lately According to InstagramMy Profile

Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles November 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Salsa Chicken and Apricot Chicken are my two crockpot favorites. Glad all is going well! Enjoy the weekend!
Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles recently posted…10K Here I Come!My Profile

Shannon November 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Good to hear that you and you little man are transiitioning into your new routine! Crock-pots are lifesavors. I think I’d be a walking poster girl for Subway if I didn’t have one. As for candy in the breakroom, it usually only gets worse this time of year. Maybe bust out some yougurt dip for the days you need the extra motivation! Enjoy your weekend!

Kim November 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Glad that you are enjoying your job and that Mason is doing great at daycare (minus the sleeping and food!).
And I would not be able to live without my crock pot!
Kim recently posted…A Bit of RealityMy Profile

Ali November 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What podcasts are you listening to? I’m glad that he’s doing well with daycare!! That’s such a relief I’m sure. It’s totally true that the busier you are, the more you get done. I find that true all the time in my life. Maybe I need to be busier because I’m lacking in productivity lately.
Ali recently posted…The Thankful Project – WordsMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome November 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm

So glad you are enjoying your new job and everyone is transitioning well! I just started getting more into crock-pot cooking and would definitely use it more if I were working!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Bye, Bye Cardio Junkie!My Profile

Jenny November 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

So, so glad everything is going well! <3 :)

Claire November 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

Kim,
Glad to see you’re adjusting well and enjoying your balance of work and time at home! Enjoy your weekend!
Claire

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food November 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

Yay for weekends!!! Hopefully you get some much needed mason lovin time!! Your job sounds awesome!!! And macs do get easier… I promise
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…DietBetMy Profile

lindsey November 8, 2013 at 8:28 am

Fav crock pot: shredded chicken for tacos. chicken breasts & a jar of salsa = done. Also, I use a Mac at home and PCs at work and went thru school the same way. You will get used to switching back and forth, my husband managed to adjust. If not, hopefully your IT guy can get you that PC ;)

Amanda November 8, 2013 at 8:16 am

One of my favorite crockpot recipes is BBQ ribs. Just make them like you make the BBQ chicken…some ribs smothered in BBQ sauce. If you cook them long enough, the meat will literally fall off the bones. SO GOOD! Happy Friday!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat November 8, 2013 at 7:51 am

So glad you’re loving your job! It sounds so awesome too! I swear, the crock pot is the best invention ever. I use mine all the time. I make a chicken cacciatore in the crock pot that’s so yummy. Here’s the link in case you’re interested:

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Natural Disease FightersMy Profile