Getting fit by “squeezing”

by Kim on January 10, 2014

Did you know you can work out while driving?

This morning, I was listening to this Ben Greenfield podcast on my way to work, and he referenced a study that proved you can get fit just by squeezing your muscles. (Here’s the scientific gobbly-gook to prove it.) For the study, participants did “isometric contractions” (aka squeezing) for 10 reps of 4 seconds on/4 seconds rest, repeating that cycle 5 times. The study found that the muscles’ force generating capabilities increased as a result of this–aka, the participants actually got stronger!

Ben went on to talk about his glory days as a bodybuilder, and how he remembers working up a sweat just by practicing his “flex routine” in front of the mirror at night. Which is kinda weird and unrelatable for us normal folk, but anyway.

You better bet I was squeezing my butt muscles for the rest of that commute.

I’m still loving the podcasts on my commutes. Balanced Bites, Jillian, Ben, and Underground Wellness are a few of my favorites, although I’m still hunting for more. (5+ hours of commuting time a week means I plow through new episodes pretty fast).

If only everything came in podcast format! Then I wouldn’t be so behind on blog reading all the time, and I wouldn’t have 2 untouched issues of Fitness magazine taking up space at home.

20140108_180121Oh well. As an excellent post from the SITS Girls points out, bloggers can’t do everything. (I know, WHAT??)

Something I can do: help with the leftovers after client meetings at work.

20140109_132715
This was some of the most INSANE cake I’ve ever had. Cookie dough cheesecake, double chocolate cake, and red velvet. Plus, it happened right after I read Becky’s post about craving chocolate and started having an empathetic craving myself.

Speaking of chocolate, the outrageous temps lately have revived an old friend in my life: hot chocolate with teeny-tiny marshmallows.

20140108_180400
Made even cozier by the mug sweater my mother-in-law knitted for me for Christmas. (Cute right?)

Apparently, I have only one workable location in my house for taking pictures of things. And here it is again:

20140109_200737
I’m always so impressed with Costco’s fruit that it necessitates photo shoots.

I mean, look at those! In the dead of WINTER!

Something to do:

This workout from Katie. I’m all about workouts that let me use my treadmill without keeping me on it the WHOLE time! It’s also nice to have a workout that’s not super complicated to follow.

Something(s) to read:

8 parenting tips I picked up in therapy

The perfect dynamic warm-up

Helping a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: A candid interview with my husband

That post about juicing

We’re off to an indoor waterpark resort this weekend for a little family fun. Fingers crossed it goes well! Full report on Monday.

Have a great weekend!

xoxo,

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate January 13, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Thanks so much for sharing my workout! I always get fruit and veggies (red peppers are CHEAP!) at Costco too!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Asparagus and Prosciutto Crescent RollsMy Profile

char eats greens January 12, 2014 at 2:45 pm

That mug sweater. I would LOVE one of those. How cute!!! Now, IF I had a treadmill, I would totally do that 75 workout!!

Kim January 11, 2014 at 11:11 am

Have fun at the water park!!!
I have done butt and ab squeezes many times when I travel. I will squeeze and hold from 1 mile marker to the next then relax for a mile – Fun times!!!
Kim recently posted…Sleep-Overs: Love Them or Hate Them?My Profile

Kim January 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Good idea!!

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 10, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Omg, that cake!! I’m going to live vicariously through you and pretend that my chocolate cake craving has now been satisfied… Oh, who am I kidding?! I neeeeedd that cake in my life!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Mexican Chicken StewMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes January 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Fingers crossed for a weekend of fun! Please cross your fingers for us that Luke finally gets his tooth and sleeps through the night this weekend. The past couple of days have been craziness in our house. :) And I totally agree that Costco/Sams has awesome fruit in the winter – I just wish it was way cheaper!!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I’ll have to remember the butt squeezing technique while driving. Good to know! All great podcasts! Another one of my favorites is Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness. Great information even if you’re not sold on Paleo :-) Oh and Nutrition Diva offers quick and “Dirty” tips that are also great! Love the mug cozy! I kept hinting to my MIL to make me one but she forgot :-( Maybe my birthday next month :-)
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Five on FridayMy Profile

Kim January 16, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sarah @RunFarGirl January 10, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Thanks so much for including my post in you’re “something to read” segment. Really appreciate it! And that mug cozie is quite possibly the cutest thing ever!
Sarah @RunFarGirl recently posted…Helping a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: A candid interview with my husbandMy Profile

Kim January 10, 2014 at 2:42 pm

You’re very welcome. Such a powerful piece, thanks for sharing it!