Great weekends come with flowers, watermelon water, and steak

by Kim on June 2, 2014

Guess what happens when you put 5,000 different things on your Weekend To Do list?

A) You get, like, 30% of them done and feel like a failure.

B) The minor thing you added as an afterthought ends up taking up the most time out of everything. (And you feel like a failure for not anticipating that.)

C) You don’t get a minute to yourself until 10 PM Sunday night (and even then, you’re all “maybe I should just really quick…”)

D) All the above.

This past weekend was definitely a D. I always want to spend as much time as possible with Mason, but then I somehow also expect myself to accomplish a zillion other things–preferably, by cramming 8 hours’ worth of activities into his 2-hour naps. What am I thinking??

2014-06-01 14.57.26-2

Anyway. It was still a jam-packed weekend. We kicked it off with another round of couch-shopping, and another fail. I’m worried the problem might be that my dream couches live at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, and I’m just not seeing them anywhere else (weird!). There’s also the fact that we had a toddler sprinting through the store the whole time, thinking he was in a giant playhouse…

The Home Depot stop that came next went a little better…thanks to the money combination of cart + phone:

2014-05-31 11.28.27

His current favorite entertainment is a video of himself pushing his lawnmower around the yard while Dad mows. He cries when it ends.

Next up: planting. I found some pretty magenta annuals for the front yard, and we replaced a dead bush with the white azalea you see in the cart above. (Please don’t die, please don’t die, please don’t die.)

2014-05-31 15.43.00

It was 90 degrees and sunny, aka fabulous conditions for a 7-months-preggo lady to be crawling around with a spade and a giant bag of dirt in. But I survived (thanks to some awesome help from the hubby) and I just pray the dang plants will, too…

2014-06-01 15.09.40

Meanwhile, Mason entertained himself by watering the grass via the pool. He had zero interest in actually getting in (to be fair, the water was ice), so he just doused his outfit and created a few rivers in the yard instead.

2014-05-31 15.41.25

Later, we had friends over to grill out. They brought something I’ve never heard of before (but am totally not surprised to find out it exists): burgers stuffed with cheese curds.

Because why not?? – anyone in Wisconsin.

I made a dessert (Brent’s obsession: a version of this Oreo mandarin salad) and was hoping to serve up a nice, juicy watermelon, but the one I picked ended up being a dud.

The compromise: watermelon water!

IMG_4520
I blended chunks of watermelon with water, strained the mixture, and mixed in a little sugar and some limes. Crazy refreshing!

And a perfect companion to this:

2014-05-31 19.02.25

On Sunday, we spent the morning on a massive cleaning spree in Mason’s room. (This was the unexpected added task that ended up taking FOREVER!) He’s been showing signs of seasonal/environmental allergies lately, and we didn’t want to have to wonder if the dust factory in his room was part of the problem.

Along with the deep clean came some new decor. I finally got his new airplane decals up!

2014-06-01 13.57.39

I was SO paranoid that I was going to rip them–it’s a painfully delicate process getting these bad boys up, and I’m not always the most patient/gentle person–but I somehow got through it with no major accidents.

2014-06-01 13.57.58

Mason’s reaction made it all totally worth it. “AIRPLANE! AIRPLANE!” (He used to call them “EPs,” which we thought was crazy adorable, so I’m actually kind of sad that he can say it right now. Brent and I secretly still call them EPs between us.)

A couple more random weekend shots:

2014-06-01 15.12.43

IMG_4521Yesterday afternoon, it started pouring in the bright daylight. Wiiiild.

2014-06-01 17.44.39

I couldn’t have been happier–please water my new flowers for me!

And afterwards…

2014-06-01 18.58.56

We discovered that it’s really difficult to show Mason rainbows. “He’s still not looking high enough…” “I don’t think he sees it…” haha

We topped off the weekend with some grilled filet mignons from Trader Joe’s…WOW, steak is good. I even had a snobby “I wouldn’t DREAM of ruining this with steak sauce” moment.

I mean, that’s a good steak.

How was your weekend??

Presley @ Run Pretty June 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Well, you’ve officially made me feel super guilty for neglecting my yard. Dang it. ;)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Weekend Recap: Long Drive, Short TripMy Profile

Kim June 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

Don’t worry, that’s just what people who don’t have lives/awesome beach trips do–I promise you’re not missing out. :)

Kim June 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve gotten side-tracked by a “little” project that I think will just take a few minutes. But, the airplanes look awesome and it has to feel good to have that done!!!
Kim recently posted…Turning a Negative into a PositiveMy Profile

Kim June 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

Yeah the airplanes were easier than expected! It was the cleaning/gardening that took insane amounts of time–and I totally should have seen that coming. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 2, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I tried to show The Love Nugget a rainbow last time it rained and he didn’t get it either. Plus we were driving which made it even more difficult. Funny how they struggle with the little things like looking in the sky.
I do the same thing on the weekends and also get only about 30% of what I want to get done, done. It must be a mom thing! You are looking so good! 7 months, wow! Time is flying!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…May in ReviewMy Profile

Amanda - RunToTheFinish June 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

You know we have hardly had any watermelon yet and now I’m dying for some!! I love that drink, especially with a little added ginger!
Amanda – RunToTheFinish recently posted…9 Best Ways to Manage Race Day NervesMy Profile

Kim June 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Ooh good idea!

Danielle June 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Steak has been one of my favorites during this pregnancy (after having major aversions to red meat with the first two… weird). But the hamburger stuffed with cheese curds sounds even more tasty!

I do the same thing with my to do list… assume that I’ll be able to get two days worth of work done during two short nap times. It never really happens.
Danielle recently posted…Hello June!My Profile

ErikaMC June 2, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I didn’t get my vacuuming done and I don’t even have a good excuse as to why not since we spent all weekend at home working on potty training.

My son had adorable mispronounciation of some words and my husband worked with him so he’d say them correctly – it’s not nearly as cute when they talk right!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Hamburgers stuffed with cheese curds?! I won’t lie, that sounds pretty dang amazing. My Wisconsin native father would be proud of me for saying that. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Home TourMy Profile

Holly @ Mama Bear Blogs June 2, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Sounds like a pretty good weekend even if you didn’t get everything on your to-do list done! (Do we ever?)

Love the landscaping and Mason’s room decals!
Holly @ Mama Bear Blogs recently posted…Sweet SimplicityMy Profile

Kim June 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm

You’re right, I never do. :) But sometimes I’m so far from it that it’s actually laughable!

Thanks for stopping by Holly!

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 2, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Steak is my favorite grilled item. Especially steak that is SO good that it doesn’t need anything else!! YUM!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Weekend Update: 6/1/14My Profile

Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness June 2, 2014 at 11:47 am

I’ve never thought of putting cheese curds in a burger but honestly, it seems to make sense… especially in Wisconsin. haha. It sounds like you had a great weekend!
Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness recently posted…Group RidingMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate June 2, 2014 at 11:30 am

Sundays weather was so strange! And burgers stuffed with cheese curds?! Genius! I have heard of smashing up Cheez-Its and putting them in burgers but cheese curds take it to a whole new level!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…June Goals + Half Ironman UpdateMy Profile

Kim June 2, 2014 at 11:32 am

ha! I’ve never heard of using Cheez-Its, but I’m pretty sure I could get behind that. I think the idea with the curds was that they didn’t ooze out as much? Anyway, they were tasty. :)
Kim recently posted…Great weekends come with flowers, watermelon water, and steakMy Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 2, 2014 at 11:09 am

There’s always so much to do! It’s definitely hard to find time to tackle it all, but it sounds like you were pretty successful nonetheless. We had one of those productive weekends as well and it felt so nice to get stuff done. Oh and that watermelon water sounds so refreshing!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…PinkBlush Maternity Review and GiveawayMy Profile

Kim June 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

It was! I’m sure it would have been 10x better with a decent watermelon, but it worked. :)

Amanda June 2, 2014 at 10:58 am

You’re not the only one with to-do lists that are impossible to accomplish…I am great at making lists that only a super-human could finish. I can’t even imagine trying to do it with a little one around! Right now I seem to have the problem that everything on my list needs to be done indoors, but then it’s absolutely gorgeous outside, so I just end up wanting to be outside… If the weather continues to be as nice as it has been lately, I don’t think we’ll ever finish our renovations! ;-)

Kim June 2, 2014 at 11:34 am

House renos definitely sound like they’d be easier as a winter project. Can’t waste that weather!