I never thought I’d be able to say this

by Kim on May 20, 2013

Would you believe that I’d never been to a Costco in my life until last week?

I’ve always been a little afraid of it, since I’ve heard that you have to part with at least $100 just to exit the place. But they do sell some mean produce.

We got in under a friend’s membership, and our boys got to share a ride.

20130516_133623

This is also the first double cart I’ve ever seen in my life. Do Costco families just have more kids, or is it assumed that they’re constantly sneaking in their non-member friends with kids?

Here’s another first: on Saturday, Mase and I headed to the Farmer’s Market for the first time this summer.

20130518_084906

It was a little cooler and overcast—perfect weather for shuffling along in massive crowds and clustering around sample tables.

20130518_092618 (1)

Mason could barely contain his excitement.

20130518_084738

I took a huge risk bringing him along, knowing that he’d either have to miss his morning nap or go down really late. (In a perfect world, he’d just fall asleep in the stroller..…LOL!!!)

20130518_085610Mini gangsta.

About an hour in, he let me know that he was not interested in sitting in his stroller for a millisecond longer, so I was forced to let him roam the streets while my friend Kyla went on a Starbucks run for us.

20130518_094541

Throughout the morning, I felt like I was too distracted managing little M to actually pay attention to what we were seeing, but I did manage to make two important purchases:

20130518_103500

Stella’s hot & spicy cheese bread (a local star and Brent’s fav) and orange chocolate chip bread (which I’d been specifically looking for—amazing!). I’m a little embarrassed that I came home from a farmer’s market without anything homegrown…or remotely healthy, for that matter…

Better luck next time.

I also might ditch the stroller next time—what a hassle! It was so much easier last year, when Mason slept in the Baby Bjorn the entire time.

Anyway. When we got home, Mase went straight to bed, and I headed outside to tackle some yard work. In case you were wondering, here’s how a Type A personality approaches landscaping tasks:

20130516_110752

Complete with time estimates on the weeding (which were way, way off).

By the end of the weekend, I’d made it through 90% of the list, and—I never thought I’d be able to say this—I’m proud to report that there are, at this moment, ZERO weeds in our yard.

20130520_083657

I wish I’d taken a Before picture of this spot—it was literally COVERED in grass, to the point where you could barely see the rock at all.

20130518_115429

I call this his Steve Irwin outfit.

20130518_133054

Saturday afternoon, we headed to a friend’s graduation party, where our darling son grabbed someone’s plate of food off a table and flung it across the room. He’s so cute.

Later, right around the time my upcoming 10K will begin (8 PM), I went out for a speedy 3-mile run with my hot new kicks.

20130510_175253

It was one of those runs where I pushed so hard, it took awhile for the nausea to subside once I got home.

We capped off the day by watching Boiler Room, as part of our new Think-of-a-Random-Old-Movie-and-Rewatch-It kick. (Although in this case, I was seeing it for the first time.) I think it was good… (I could barely keep my eyes open.)

On Sunday, I slept in (thanks to my wonderful husband) before heading outside for more intensive yard work. Later, I prepped a meal for us to take to some friends who’d just had a new baby.

20130519_170306

Tomato basil quinoa cups, energy bites, and fruit—plus Fitnessista’s goat cheese/spinach/sundried tomato stuffed chicken, which is unpictured because I’d already packed it.

Baby Cordelia was perfect, and so, SO unbelievably tiny. I couldn’t even fathom Mason ever being that small. (Although, technically, he wasn’t…Cordy was just over 7 lbs. and Mason was a strapping 8 lb. 15 oz. at birth. I finally understand why all the nurses were so shocked by his size.)

As weekends go, this one was pretty solid. But I’m already looking forward to the next one…3 days with Brent home, and we have some Memorial Day fun with friends in the books. Can’t wait!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome May 20, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Sounds like such a fun weekend! I can’t believe you had never been to a Costco before! We go at least every two weeks. Did you make any purchases? It’s so hard not to! Our friend just had a baby two days ago and I’ve been planning out some dinner ideas to take to her. Energy/protein bites were definitely top o my list since I lived off them while breast feeding Well, let’s be honest, I still do. So good!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Simple but Marvelous MondayMy Profile

Kim May 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I lived off them during BFing too!!! And same story, now they’re a staple. :) They’re just so handy (and delish). Have you tried any variations? I added dried cherries once, and it was ok, but other than that, I haven’t been too adventurous. I feel like I should branch out!

Would you believe I didn’t get a thing at Costco?? Haha! We were actually only stopping in for fun after a long walk, mostly for the AC. But just seeing the place confirms my suspicion that I can’t be trusted in there. :)

Julie May 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Two things:
1. OMG, I miss Stella’s spicy cheese bread. So much. And the mini breads!
2. That is just about how I approach garden tasks, too!
Julie recently posted…A Savvy Week: Ramps and AsparagusMy Profile

Kim May 20, 2013 at 3:10 pm

There’s now a competitor on the other side of the square, also offering spicy cheese bread (and jalapeno bread!). I might have to give it a shot, for comparison’s sake. It takes some serious confidence to go up against Stella!

I’m seriously surprised I don’t have a checklist for the process of getting ready in the morning. I’m lost without those dang things. :)

Kim May 20, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I’ve never been to Costco either. We just have Sam’s Club – I’ve heard that Costco is much better!!!
I’m ready to start hitting up our Farmer’s Market!!
Great job on the weeds – I feel like that is a never ending chore!
Kim recently posted…Motivation – What Motivation??My Profile

Kim May 20, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Yep, I’d only ever been to Sam’s too. It does seem like Costco has more unique stuff, but I’m not really that familiar with either place. :)

I’m hoping (praying) that, now that I’ve spent so much time getting the yard looking nice, I’ll be motivated to keep it that way! But yeah, what a tedious job! :(

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness May 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Ah the debate between nap and bedtime – fun stuff!!!! Mason is a doll! And isn’t it fun when they decide they’re done with the stroller? Ahhh… :)

Love the new shoes! Are they Asics? I think it’s time for me to pick up a new pair of shoes myself. Oh, and no shame leaving a farmers market sans fruits and veggies – I often go just to check out the baked goods myself! I feel ya!
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Portland RecapMy Profile

Kim May 20, 2013 at 3:01 pm

So fun. Now he’s boycotting carts at stores too–that’s a real treat!

They are Asics! They’re the Kayano 19’s. I did a review of them last week if you want to hear more about them. Good luck with your shoe hunt!

Katie @ running4cupcakes May 20, 2013 at 11:13 am

What did you get at Costco? We go to Sam’s pretty much weekly for milk and fruit. but it can be a very dangerous place!!

Kim May 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Actually, nothing!! We were just stopping in for fun on the tail end of a long walk–mostly to cool down in the AC and maybe get some fro yo. I also think I was too overwhelmed to actually get anything! :)

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

Orange chocolate chip bread! Yum!

Kim May 20, 2013 at 2:57 pm

It didn’t survive the day. :)