I’m a proud sis

by Kim on June 11, 2013

What a weekend! I know I’m a little late in posting this, but yesterday felt like an extension of the weekend, so my brain’s telling me today is Monday.

I was considering running another 10K on Saturday, so I could have another shot at hitting my 50 minute PR, but then I remembered kind of last minute that I’d signed up to help out at the spring Girls on the Run 5K!

20130608_084026

I’m a huge supporter of this program (I’d love to be a coach someday, schedule-permitting) so there was no way I was missing out on the event. Plus, it was only a few miles from home. (And, let’s face it, I wasn’t feeling that confident about the 10K so soon after the trauma of my last attempt…)

20130608_083115

It could not have been a more perfect morning for a race. Cool, but not too cool (about 55), and cloudy, but not in a depressing way.

I was on traffic-directing duty, and ended up being positioned at this gorgeous spot:

20130608_084220

90% of the route weaved through a beautiful park, but leave it to me to get the muddy, cement-pipe-decorated street corner. Ha.

The spot ended up being pretty amusing, though—there were some dramatic reactions to that little strip of water across the road (“new shoes! new shoes! gaah!”) and I got to make dumb jokes about how the race was actually a mud run.

20130608_093514

It was so cool watching the girls dominate this run—can’t wait to sign my future daughter up for this! (Hope she’s cool with that…)

Later in the day, we logged some family time at the park.

20130608_120943

Mason’s way obsessed with glasses right now.

20130608_120956

My mom was visiting for the weekend, which is always a treat—especially for little M.

20130608_181044

He was all over her glasses, too.

20130608_181328

We have NO idea how two brunettes managed to produce a blonde child—I’m slightly nervous about a  switched-at-birth situation.

20130608_181235

On Sunday, we went to visit my brother Ryan’s tea shop, which he just opened in the mall on the other side of town.

20130609_111851

I was so impressed! Look how cute, clean, and well organized it is! Couldn’t be prouder of my bro.

20130609_112017

He’s selling tea in small tins that customers can return for a discount, so they’re really only paying for the tea itself. The smaller tins also encourage them to try different kinds of teas and to keep smaller amounts of tea on hand, rather than buying in bulk (logically, this keeps the tea fresher).

He also had jars of the teas on display for smelling, which was awesome.

20130609_111949

I went around sniffing every single one, and ended up taking home 6 tiny tins of teas (how’d you like that alliteration?). So far, I’ve only tried the Ear Grey Moonlight, and it was heavenly. So unlike any other tea I’ve ever had.

20130609_134519

While we were at the mall, we got these amazing Russian dumplings. They came with a sour cream dipping sauce and were to DIE for.

20130609_115831

Back at home, I scooped up the boys and we headed to the zoo for the afternoon.

20130609_161429

Mason was more excited about this bench than anything else. Standard.

20130609_161528

And, of course, we couldn’t resist one of these shots:

20130609_162103

Poor kid. We didn’t think much of his glassy expression here, but it turns out he was coming down with a virus. 4 hours later, he had a temp of 103 and looked like this:

20130609_223306

It was a rough night for the little dude, but he recovered quickly. By the next morning, he was pretty much back to his old self again.

I even convinced him to wear his hat for awhile!

20130610_174735

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Have you ever volunteered with Girls on the Run?

Awesome right??

Are you a tea drinker? If so, what’s your favorite kind?

When I get tea at coffee shops, I also go for Jasmine Pearl. But now I think I might have to venture out—I had NO idea chocolate chai tea existed!

Edgar August 10, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Put in as much water as you want and put 1 tea bag for every cup of water, or two, depending on how srnotg you like your tea. I make my iced tea this way. I make the whole pot 12 cups water, 12 tea bags and put it in my sun tea container and when cool I put it in the fridge.

Emily N June 12, 2013 at 7:09 am

I think GotR is such a super organization. I have been a running buddy twice now, and would LOVE to coach. I definitely plan on getting my own daughter involved.
Emily N recently posted…June Promotions for DietToGo!My Profile

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Girls on the Run is AWESOME! I’m glad you had a chance to help out at the race, and it’s totally cool that you’ve already signed your future daughter up. My girls (3 & 1) are signed up too! I’ve pretty much done every volunteer position possible with the organization, but coaching was by far my favorite. Watching the girls learn and grow over the season was amazing, and watching them cross the finish line at the 5K was beyond inspiring! Glad to hear the little guy is feeling better!

Kim June 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

So cool that your brother has a tea shop – I like Chai but had not idea about the chocolate version – gotta check into that!!
Glad your little guy had a quick recovery – never fun when our kids are sick!!
Kim recently posted…I WON SOMETHING!!!!! but I had to give it backMy Profile

Kim June 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I was surprised about the chocolate chai too–drinking some right now actually!

Speaking of surprising chocolate things, I recently learned that you can buy chocolate mint HERBS. Like, for planting in your herb garden. They have them at Home Depot. Huh??

Miranda June 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Your brothers tea flavors sound amazing!
I just read your comment about herbs… and it is true! I was at the farmers market last weekend and they had some crazy ones that I had never heard of. I ended up going home with a pineapple mint; smells just like it!

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 11, 2013 at 11:35 am

What a fun weekend! We have tried to take Luke to the zoo a few times too, but he doesn’t seem to get the whole “look at the animal” thing.. . someday. BTW Love those skinny jeans on you at the park – super cute!!

Kim June 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m ok admitting that we’re really just going to the zoo for ourselves and pretending it’s for the kid. :) We did the same thing last year, when he was DEFINITELY too young to care.

Thanks, I’ve been wearing those jeans CONSTANTLY! Love them. They’re from Express.

Jenny June 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m so thrilled for your brother and will have to visit his shop soon! :) How wonderful for him.

Also, if it helps, my parents both have brown hair, and I was a blonde until I was three years old… and then *poof* – brunette. Life works in mysterious ways ;)

Kim June 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Haha! It totally does. I assumed it would go dark eventually. But then, Brent’s sister is somehow blonde, so there are light-haired genes lurking around the family that could just stick. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love Girls on the Run! I’ve volunteered for them and would also love to be a coach some day! I just can’t justify paying a babysitter to come watch the Love Nugget while I go work for free for a few hours. Maybe someday…
Our little guy went through the same type of thing with a fever Friday night. I think it was a combination of a windy road and a molar coming in. Amazing how fast they can jump back though!
Congrats to your brother! Looks like something I would love!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Toddler Tuesday – Father’s Day Gift IdeasMy Profile

Kim June 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’m the same way about the babysitter situation. I so wish I had family nearby I could just drop him off with for a few hours. :)

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness June 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

What an awesome little tea shop! Man, if I lived nearby, I’d be a regular. I love loose leaf teas and our closest shop (other than Teavana – blah) is out on Port Townsend which is on the Washington Peninsula and on the opposite side of the Puget Sound from me so I have to take a ferry and an hour car ride… I love his idea of returning tins. Nice and enviro-happy!

Poor little dude. It’s so sad when they get sick but man do they get cuddly too and it looks like grandma’s getting in on that action!!! Your race sounds awesome! I keep toying with the idea of trying an all women’s triathlon but then… I guess that would require my getting a bike…
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Keep Your Makeup on While Working OutMy Profile

Kim June 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Haha my brother’s totally anti-Teavana too. I’ve never even been in there myself, but I doubt I’ll go now that I’ve heard so many horrible things about it. :)

I don’t own a bike either (need to change that), but I’d probably still be scared of tri’s if I did…open-water swimming, yiiiikes!