Is nesting real? + why I’m cutting dairy

by Kim on August 11, 2014

Lots of bloggers do “Five Things Friday” posts, but I’m coming at you with five random things on a Monday.

SO rebellious, right?

It doesn’t even sound good (Five Things Monday?), which is why I had to come up with a different title.

Basically, we’re already off to a rocky start, but here we go anyway…

1. If this late-pregnancy “nesting” thing is real (I’ve always been skeptical—couldn’t I just like a clean house?), then I got hit by it hard this past weekend.

Out of nowhere came the energy to do something I’d been wanting to do (but putting off) for at least a year: minimal-ize my kitchen countertops.

20140809_171728

I know you’ve never seen the “before,” but imagine this PLUS a large crockpot, a blender, a coffee bean grinder, a couple more bottles of oils/vinegars, and a coffee mug holder thingie. It was crazy cluttered, and for no great reason—sure, I use all those things a lot, but it won’t kill me to spend five more seconds pulling them out of the cupboards first.

I might even go back and stash that can opener, now that I’m looking at the picture. Do I really need that to be ultra-accessible?

Of course, it also took some serious cupboard reorganizing to find new and still semi-convenient homes for all those things—but it was almost embarrassing how easy it ended up being.

I also did five loads of laundry on Saturday—one of those being a huge pile of Mason’s old baby clothes. Baby #2 now has fresh, clean clothes in drawers and ready to go!

IMG_4807

I forgot how cute all this stuff was! Can’t wait to get more use out of it.

Next, I made a giant batch of my latest favorite salad for quick grab-and-go lunches throughout the week:

IMG_4806

The me of last weekend, who spent all Sunday afternoon napping and the rest of the time lounging/whining, totally didn’t recognize the me of this weekend.

2. I know white polo shirts probably aren’t the most practical for a 2-year-old, but I just think they’re so darn cute.

IMG_4819

I gave Mase a haircut and I swear he aged 5 years.

IMG_4833

#Eyelashes

3. We tried a new recipe last night: this lemon-garlic picnic chicken.

IMG_4846

The skin didn’t turn out as crispy as I was hoping (anyone know the secret to crispy chicken skin??), but the chicken itself was to die for.

I was also thrilled to discover the blog behind the recipe. The author is a fellow food-allergy mom, and every word on her about page could have come out of my own mouth. I have the same exact gut feeling that she does—that there’s “something more” behind this whole modern-day food allergy uprising. Leaky guts? Autoimmune issues? Who knows, but I pray that someday we all know the answers…

4. In semi-related news: as of Saturday, I’m officially eating dairy-free.

Yep! It’s back to the old elimination diet for me (but hopefully I won’t have to go as strict as I was when BF’ing Mason).

Why?

I wanted to cut dairy for at least the beginning of my breastfeeding journey (yes, it’s a journey) with baby #2, not because I’m assuming he’ll be allergic to it like Mason is, but because lots of newborns have a hard time digesting dairy at first. From what I’ve read, lots of moms have found their babies to sleep better, spit up less, and be less colicky when mom was dairy-free in the early months. This seemed to be true even if the babies were later able to tolerate dairy just fine, once their digestive systems matured a little more.

I’m starting 2 weeks before my due date because it takes at least that long for dairy to get out of your system. (Breastmilk is tricky like that—it won’t just use the most recent things you’ve eaten, but everything in your system at the time.)

I’m also considering cutting gluten (another super common stomach irritant for bambinos), but I don’t feel as strongly about that one, and I don’t eat that much of it right now anyway. (Most breads/baked goods have dairy in them too, so that stuff is already off the table.) As of now, my plan is to “go super light” on the gluten and see how the baby does.

5. I finally found a few hours to spend doing some photography for my prenatal workout program!

I have to say: as secure as I am, it’s not easy taking a bunch of pictures of yourself doing exercises at 38+ weeks pregnant. And it’s definitely not easy to do that in public. I got plenty of curious stares.

Plus plenty of interruptions from oblivious ducks, casually meandering into my shots.

20140811_112039

I mean, really? You all need to hang out right here?

Hope you have a great week!

Something to read: 20 examples of “thin privilege” – what do you think of this??

Do you believe in nesting?

How many appliances do you leave out on your countertops vs. stashed away?

What’s the latest new recipe you’ve loved?

nelms August 31, 2014 at 11:53 pm

It is really hard to pick merely one! I do know I desperately wish that Cuisinart hand blender!

char eats greens August 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I hope going dairy-free has been going good so far! You know I’d come over with TONS of dairy-free goodies if we were neighbors! I was thinking about what I could take off the counters as well. We have the vitamix, Tyler’s magic bullet, veggie/fruit bowl, knife block, cutting boards, KitchenAid mixer, kettle and toaster. Wow, it seems excessive typing it out haha!
char eats greens recently posted…tips of the weekMy Profile

Kim August 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

SO wish we were neighbors right now! :) It’s actually going fine though…I wasn’t using much dairy in my diet anyway, so it was just about removing those last few things I was clinging on to.

Teresa August 13, 2014 at 11:37 am

I recently had to give up dairy while breastfeeding my 4 month old son. Besides meat, I get a lot of my protein from greek yogurt/cheese etc. It’s been a tough transition. Do you have any protein snack ideas besides the usual nuts/peanut butter? With a baby, I need to have lots of quick snacks to grab. Any suggestions would really help. Thanks!!! Can’t wait to read all about your new baby coming soon.

Kim August 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi Teresa! I totally hear the need for easy snack options–I LIVED on these energy bites during the first few weeks with my first son: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

A couple other things that come to mind are hard-boiled eggs, hummus + veggies (I’m loving sugar snap peas right now) and smoothies (I just ordered Sun Warrior’s vegan protein powder for mine). You can also find a bunch of recipes for dairy-free muffins online that could work.

Good luck!! And kudos to you for sticking with BFing, despite the challenge of giving up dairy! Once you adjust to the new routine, I think you’ll find that it’s easier than you thought. Bonus perk: it makes it even easier to lose the baby weight. :)

Teresa August 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Thanks Kim for the quick response. I will definitely have to try those options. Keep up the good work blogging. I love the content of your blog, very informative and helpful. Much better than most.

Kim August 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

Wow thank you Teresa!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 12, 2014 at 4:17 pm

That salad looks delicious!!

I have very limited counter top space, but always have the food processor, toaster, can opener and knife block on the counter!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…How to Make Sure I’ll Have a Good DayMy Profile

Kim August 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I’m debating about the toaster–it’s out right now, but since I’m on such a roll, I’ve been thinking, “do we really use it THAT much…?” haha, this decluttering business gets addicting.

Jade August 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I totally am doing the dairy free thing for me too. The first one was awful (although I’m sure you had way more to deal with, ours was just milk and gassy foods) and I would so rather try everything in my power to stop from having a colicky baby right from the get go. I know a lot of people think I am crazy and that “my milk has no impact like that on the kid” but from experience I know way more now!
Jade recently posted…Oh AugustMy Profile

Kim August 12, 2014 at 5:00 pm

My thoughts exactly Jade!! Hope it works for both of us!

Marielle August 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Your kitchen looks SO clean, I’m impressed! Those little baby clothes look super cute too!
Marielle recently posted…Getting Back On TrackMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes August 12, 2014 at 9:00 am

I agree that Luke seems to grow up before my eyes when he gets a haircut too. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…5 everyday thingsMy Profile

Danielle August 11, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I totally believe nesting is a real thing after the past few weeks. I went crazy on house projects! And I insisted on doing it all myself. The house was looking good for Baby C’s arrival :)
Danielle recently posted…Introducing Catherine EricaMy Profile

Kim August 12, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Kinda nice to get that little boost right at the end. :) Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!!

Giselle August 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Look at you nesting! So ready for baby :-) I remember for weeks before and after his due date (two weeks late) being in major (OCD) cleaning mode. I’m talking, on my hands and knees scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush. Yeah, bit of nesting ya think? Funny when I look back on it.
Like you, I love white on boys! We go through LOTS of white polos and t-shirts. I just can’t help it. Good luck with the dairy :-) I’m sure you’ve dried it but Whole Fat Canned Coconut milk is a great replacement in smoothies, coffee, cereals etc.
Giselle recently posted…MIMM – Nike Women’s Half MarathonMy Profile

Kim August 12, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I didn’t know the Love Nugget was 2 weeks late, woooah! I’m really hoping for an on-time arrival over here. :)

The dairy thing has actually been a piece of cake so far, since I wasn’t using much of it to begin with. The only thing I really miss is butter on veggies. And I’m sure I’ll start missing cheese soon! I’m definitely familiar with canned coconut milk, but could be incorporating it more. Thanks for the idea!!

Heather @fitncookies August 11, 2014 at 7:16 pm

When we first moved in, we had so much on our counters. They were packed and it totally overwhelmed me. I think around Christmas, I put some stuff away, stashed things in cupboards, and have really stuck to keeping the counters clean. It now really bothers me when I see stuff on the counters that needs put away!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted…I mustache you a question…My Profile

Kim August 12, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I’m loving the change too! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back. :)

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate August 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I’m actually super anal about things left out on the kitchen counter to the point where Scott can’t leave out our coffee grinder or toaster for more than 30 seconds after using it before I have to put it away…it’s actually pretty pathetic now that I think about it though…
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Lately… {All Things Wedding}My Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 11, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Yes, I most definitely believe in nesting! I feel like I’ve gone through different stages of nesting throughout my pregnancy. Right now up in a bit of a lull, but I’m sure it’ll come back with a vengeance in the coming weeks!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Evoke Healthy Foods Muesli ReviewMy Profile