Kiwi party and the lunch I never get sick of

by Kim on June 26, 2013

My husband’s smart. His secret trick for getting me to do things is to pretend he’s about to attempt to do it himself.

The other day, he asked me how to peel a kiwi, and before I knew it, I was throwing myself a kiwi peel-chop party.

20130623_135222

Pop quiz: guess how much more likely you are to eat fruit or veggies after they’ve been washed, peeled, cut, and stored in a nice container in the fridge?

We got one of those GINORMOUS Costco containers of kiwis, and they sat in the fridge for over a week prior to the peel-chop party. Then, suddenly, they were gone in 2 days.

If you got the answer to that question, take a shot at this one: How long will it take me to get sick of this meal?

20130625_140504

It’s been literally months of eating this for lunch at least once a week, if not 3-4 times. Sometimes the spinach is brown rice, sometimes there’s leftover tofu or chicken, and sometimes the egg is runnier (I only hard-fry eggs by request or by accident), but the end result is always about the same.

Yesterday, on a whim, I posted this on Twitter:

Pushups

I got 40 done by noon, but then proceeded to forget about it all afternoon. Oops. The last 50 may have happened between 9-11 PM, and 30 of those may have happened in the same 15-minute stretch, but I got em all done.

In case anyone has been living under the false assumption that Pyrex is unbreakable (as I was until yesterday), behold:

20130625_135644

Also, Mason is banned from the kitchen until further notice.

He must have sensed he wasn’t in my good graces, especially after he pulled the mirror off our bedroom wall later that same day, because he spent the afternoon’s park outing in prayer.

20130624_125628

Seriously, he stayed like that for a long time. It was killing me.

The mail was brimming with goodies yesterday. First, I got this book I ordered on Amazon:

20130625_170946

It’s a memoir by a blogger, about the time she met the man of her dreams right as he was leaving to sail around the world. She writes about how she decided that, in order to keep him, she had to go with him, despite the fact that she was terrified of deep water.

I read a few snippets online and got hooked! Can’t wait to…ugh, yep, I’m going to say it…dive in.

The other thing in the mail was a CD filled with photos from our recent family photo shoot. (Our photographers are amazingly talented!)

Here’s a sample:

Family Pics

Do you have a go-to lunch?

What are you reading right now?

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run June 27, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love the pictures!!

Right now, my go-to lunch is a turkey sandwich on a deli bun with garlic and herb laughing cow cheese, garlic hummus, and a thin slice of salami. So good!!
Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…Birthday Party Day!My Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 26, 2013 at 11:22 pm

First off, the pictures are amazing! I love getting professional pictures back after waiting to see them for weeks! So fun!
I can’t eat the same thing for lunch too many days in a row. I get over it but do often eat turkey wrapped around avocado with carrots and tomatoes. So good!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Gevalia Coffee and Playdate!My Profile

Kim June 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Awesome family pics!!!
And, your little Mason in the swing is precious!
No go-tos right now because we are traveling but I like tuna with any veggies I have on hand (+ avocado) mixed together!
Kim recently posted…StrugglingMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I love your family pics – I need to get some done soon too. Thank you for letting me know that pyrex is breakable, I will have to do some kitchen rearranging before I let Luke back in there! As baby-proofed I think our house is. . . Luke likes to show me it’s not!!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate June 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness, Mason praying cracks me up!! Your family photos are beautiful by the way. My go to lunch is usually plain greek yogurt, a tablespoon of nut butter and granola mixed in. I usually just buy a bunch of yogurts and stash them in our fridge at work–super simple and convenient!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Would You RatherMy Profile

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness June 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

Okay Kim – what is your secret for peeling kiwis? Because I definitely do NOT have this skill down. :/

Man I wish I had seen your tweet about 100 push-ups because I would have totally been in! I’m trying to give the lower body a break and focus on upper body/core for the next week or 2 and push-ups are PERFECT! Maybe i’ll just drag your challenge into today!
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon RecapMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I learned this awesome trick about cutting off the end and using a spoon to scoop out the kiwi – it seriously works great and no peeling!!

Kim June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm