Lounging, recipes, and the Trim Healthy Mamas

by Kim on March 3, 2014

Hey there! How was your weekend?

Things were extremely low key around here. Brent was out of town and my mom was visiting for the weekend, so we just hung out.

IMG_4127
Something about playing on the couch these days…this kid loves it!

Mason was thrilled that Grandma was here and totally ate up the attention all weekend.

IMG_4132
I didn’t touch a computer all weekend, except to pull up a few new Pinterest recipes. I made this Paleo coffee cake banana bread from PaleOMG:

banana bread
And this tomato basil chicken from Menu Musings:

tomato basil
Both were huge hits! (Especially the banana bread—I was wondering if Brent would notice the lack of sugar in it, but he said it was awesome. Paleo win.)

Next on the To Make list is this Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole that Holly turned me on to.

This morning on my commute in to work, I listened to a very interesting podcast episode. Dr. Axe of the Dr. Axe Show (not to be confused with Dr. Oz) was interviewing the authors of Trim Healthy Mama.

trim healthy

The authors are sisters originally from Australia (so it’s possible that part of the intrigue came from listening to their accents). Their message sounds pretty similar to a lot of other people’s these days: no more fad dieting, a focus on real food, and an emphasis on satisfying and energizing your body instead of restricting it.

What I really liked about them was their insanely simple eating plan. In a nutshell: each meal revolves around protein, first and foremost. From there, if you’re looking to lose weight, you add either carbs or fat. A meal higher in fats should be lower in carbs, and vice versa.

The sisters call the fat-focused meals “satisfying” and the carb-focused ones “energizing.”

Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the meal types I found in this review of the book (which you should totally check out if you’re interested in more detail!):

• Satisfying: uses fats for fuel and will include animal proteins, butter, oils, cheeses, nuts, seeds, non-starchy vegetables and berries. A typical “satisfying” meal might include a salad with dressing and cheese, baked chicken, and roasted veggies tossed with butter.
  • Energizing: uses glucose for fuel and will include animal protein and moderate amounts of starch from foods like beans, whole grains, root vegetables and fruits.  A typical “energizing” meal might include whole grain pancakes topped with blueberries, maple syrup, and 0% Greek yogurt.

Another interesting thing about the book is that the sisters admittedly have very different approaches to food “rules”–one more rigid and one more relaxed. So whichever way you lean, there’s a viewpoint in the book for you, and you’re bound to relate to at least one of the sisters.

Anyway, I requested the book from the library so I can take a look at some of their recipes. I’ll let you know what I find!

What approach to eating speaks to you the most?

Tried any great new recipes lately?

Hope you have a great week!!

K

Presley @ Run Pretty Blog March 5, 2014 at 11:24 am

Quinoa casserole? I need that in my life.

My approach to eating is that I do it when I’m hungry, drunk, or at a party. KIDDING. Sort of. But I do just try to eat when I need to and choose things I think will make me feel good. Pretty simple stuff. :)
Presley @ Run Pretty Blog recently posted…I Actually Ran + A Bit About The Blogger SurveyMy Profile

Kim March 5, 2014 at 11:45 am

I think it can totally be simple if you’re in tune with your body, but that’s pretty difficult for a lot of people. You probably have more knowledge packed in your brain that you’re subconsciously using than you think. :) I think this is also more for people who are trying to lose weight, who are looking for guidance and “rules” of some kind. I liked it because they pack a lot of science into some relatively simple concepts.

And off the soapbox! I’ll let you know how the quinoa cass turns out. (That’s how close I am with casseroles.) Since it doesn’t involve fresh meat, I’ve been able to put off making it for a good week now…

Presley @ Run Pretty Blog March 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm

ha, very true. But then again, sometimes the simplest of plans get way out of hand. I’m more worried about the people who “need” rules. Because those rules can quickly lead to binge eating or restricting. The less I listened to others and listened to my body, the better off I was. I really don’t know how I ended up on this topic now, so please excuse the fact that I make no sense.

Presley @ Run Pretty Blog March 5, 2014 at 12:02 pm

And I realize that MOST people can follow a diet without losing their minds the way I did. Soooo… Maybe I’m just talking about myself here.

Kim March 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Aw–I don’t know your full story but I toootally get what you’re saying. And I’m glad you found what works for you (sorry for how cliche that sounds). I had a super long learning process too, and the end state feels simple/intuitive to me now, but I think it’s only because of what I had to go through/learn to get to this level of comfort with food/my body. Know what I mean?

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food March 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Since for the past 23 days I’ve been doing the advocare 24 day challenge. The thing I love most about the challenge is the fact that you focus on eating clean. You eat real whole foods. Each meal you focus on eating a protein, a carb and a fruit or veg! They also want you to eat 2-3 protein packed snacks. I’m trying to change my lifestyle to mostly healthy clean meals.
Your recipes from the weekend look amazing!! I’m definitely looking into making that banana bread. I don’t believe in being 100% paleo but I will admit there are some pretty delicious paleo recipes out there!!!

Lexis clean kitchen posted a paleo recipe for thin mints. Healthy thin mints count me in :)
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday #7My Profile

Kim March 5, 2014 at 11:47 am

Congrats on the challenge!! I’ve heard about it and it sounds pretty intense. Great approach though, with the emphasis on real food! Are you feeling good/better than before??

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

Sounds like a great weekend!

Something I’ve been wanting to do is add more protein to my diet. Sometimes I don’t think I eat enough of it, then I end up being hungry more easily between meals. This books sounds really interesting though. I’ll definitely be checking it out!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…The Dangers of SittingMy Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 4, 2014 at 10:27 am

Oh and I forgot to mention, thanks for the link-love! Hope you enjoy the casserole!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…The Dangers of SittingMy Profile

Kim March 5, 2014 at 11:47 am

You’re welcome! Thanks for introducing me to it. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome March 4, 2014 at 9:46 am

Oooh I’ve been wanting to try that banana bread recipe! Looks so good! Glad you had a fun weekend with your mom! Isn’t it funny how their little personalities come out more when Grandparents are around. The Love Nugget is starting to get into that show off stage when he sees his G-parents. It’s cute in some ways and not so much in others…. They love it though!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Paleo MeeNut ButterMy Profile

Kim March 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

Haha! I love it because he’s an angel when anyone new is over. I think he’s a little too comfortable with us and more willing to show his dark side when no one else is around. :)