Marvelous holiday trains and less-marvelous road rage

by Kim on December 23, 2013

It’s been awhile since I’ve linked up with Katie for Marvelous in my Monday, but this past weekend was pretty darn marvelous, so I thought it was time!

The highlight: a visit to a local holiday-themed train show for kiddos.

271

Aka Photo Op Heaven.

289And, possibly, a branch of the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory?

409

Basically, it was a big room full of poinsettias and candy, with model trains circling around. Kids were Freaking. Out.

261

And parents were freaking out about all the pictures that needed to be taken. I literally couldn’t stop clicking.

276
And now we have to redo our Christmas cards. I mean, could this be any more festive?

286

Possibly my favorite picture from the whole event: Mason’s POWER yawn–ha!

463

"Let’s wrap this up, guys!"

(I could live without the skinny flying ponytail, though…try to ignore that and pretend you’re still in the dark about how little hair I actually have.)

Later that day, I made the biggest rookie mistake ever: going to the mall on the Saturday before Christmas. Holy road rage inducer. I just wanted TWO BOOKS from Barnes & Noble, ended up not finding them, and walked out empty-handed just to sit in traffic for HALF AN HOUR trying to get out of the mall parking lot. I’m not kidding. It was hellish. (Also, naturally, my gas tank was on negative-E and all I could do was stare at the gas station across the road for 30 long minutes.)

That night, despite my Christmas spirit being horribly compromised, I buckled down for the Gift Wrapping Extravaganza of 2013.

You should never wrap Christmas gifts without a holiday movie in the background, so I picked…Notting Hill? Weird choice, but it was listed as a "Holiday Classic" by our cable service and I realized I’d never actually seen it. (Is that bad? Are you horrified??)

504

The results of my hard labor (with a 10-lb. dumbbell photobomb):

532

(Yes, I keep my dumbbells under a small table in the living room–not always very well hidden. Class all the way!)

Yesterday, this happened:

513

They were predicting a massive, evil snowstorm all week, but it ended up being more of a gentle, Christmasy snowfall.

Not that gentle, Christmasy snowfall doesn’t add up–6 inches total, and my poor husband fought through every one of them with our finicky snowblower. Thanks, Brent!

Luckily for Mason, snowstorms = increased plow activity = great vehicle viewing.

542

Last night, I made these cake butter truffles for Christmas, just so I could remind myself how much of a non-baker I am. Painful, time-consuming…worth it.

That’s it for me!

What’d you do this weekend?

Anyone brave the mall??

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome December 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm

The train museum looks like so much fun! We have one close by too and The Love Nugget had a blast last time we went. It’s been awhile though and we need to go again soon! I had to go to Whole Foods the day before Christmas Eve (basically because I thought Christmas Eve wasn’t until Wednesday so I thought I still had one more day) and it was a disaster! Not only was WF crazy but it’s right across from the mall which meant traffic was a mess! So I feel for ya! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Merry Christmas!My Profile

Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles December 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Looks like so much fun! My boys would have loved it! We got snow earlier in the week to have it be in the 50’s on Saturday. Now back to the 30’s!!!
Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles recently posted…Invasion of the Body Snatchers!My Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Ha! Love Mason’s yawn. And I love your shirt too! Oh, and don’t worry, my friends(?) in high school used to call my ponytail a rat tail because it was so skinny…Merry Christmas!!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…A Box Full of Tiffany JewelryMy Profile

Kim December 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm

We got about 4 inches of snow – not my favorite but…
This morning after I got back from the grocery store, I convinced my boys to help me “bake” some candies and cookies. It isn’t really my thing but with their help it was lots of fun!!
Kim recently posted…Balancing out the Extra IndulgencesMy Profile

1 December 23, 2013 at 1:35 pm

That train place looks awesome!! I traveled last week to Minneapolis and got back Saturday morning early, so we relaxed, tried to get Aiden on some sort of schedule and got our lives back in order (sort of)!
1 recently posted…{Virtual} Coffee DateMy Profile

Kim December 23, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Good luck with the baby scheduling!! I know exactly how that goes!

Katie December 23, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Bummer about the mall road rage, happens to all of us at some time or another! I’m also not a baker, yet for my friend’s progressive dinner I almost got stuck with being the “dessert”house. Thankfully a friend wanted to trade, and now I get “drinks” much more my style!
Katie recently posted…Maximizing Your Holiday TimeMy Profile

Kim December 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hahaha score!! I’d probably try to do the same.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Snow has been falling here off and on since Thursday! They keep predicting it to be “done”, but it just keeps coming. It’s nothing crazy, so I’m actually kind of enjoying it. It also means we’ll have a white Christmas – yay! We tried braving the mall LAST weekend, and it was pure insanity. I can’t even imagine what it was like this past weekend. We stayed indoors and in our PJ’s until after noon – it was glorious!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Hustle & Bustle Holiday WorkoutMy Profile

Kim December 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Very smart! It didn’t even occur to me that the mall would be that bad, since I wasn’t even technically going to “the mall” proper, just B&N. So so wrong! I’m fine with snow as long as it’s not bitter cold along with it…doing ok so far, but it looks like temps are supposed to plummet next week. Yiikes…

Katie @ running4cupcakes December 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

awww love all the pics!! Luke would have loved that train thing too. . . and the plows. ;)

Kim December 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Little boys are so predictable aren’t they? :)