Mason’s surgery story + eats and reads

by Kim on January 16, 2014

First of all, I’m happy to report that Mason’s ear tube surgery was a success! Sooo glad that’s over.

His surgery time was 8:30 AM, so of course we had to be there an ungodly amount of time before that: 6:45. Aka painfully early for everyone, and a difficult way to go into what was already going to be a traumatic morning.

By 7:30, we were camped out in pre-op and he was given a big fat dose of Happy Juice. He kept looking up at me with his glazed eyes and little grin, giggling at nothing and looking completely tripped out. It was HILARIOUS.

20140115_074458
The hospital gave him that little bear, and he was ok with it at first, but once he realized what we were there to do, he started associating the bear with Bad Things. Later, when we got home, that poor bear got repeatedly chucked down staircases and drop-kicked all over the house.

By the time they were ready for surgery, the Juice was starting to wear off and Mase was sensing Bad Things incoming. They carried him into the OR screaming and staring at me through the doors in a wild panic–just what every mom wants to see. It sucked.

I fought the tears and tried to distract myself by bolting for the cafe to get Brent and I some breakfast. We split a yogurt parfait and a doughnut in the pre-op waiting area, and I felt totally guilty about it the whole time, knowing there were probably some people in there who weren’t allowed to eat breakfast and were fantasizing about punching me in the face.

A few minutes later (I think the procedure took 15 minutes total), the anesthesiologist showed up to take us back to post-op. Mason was groggy, out of it, and PISSED OFF. Poor kid. I carried him around the room, trying to calm him down, while the doctor said something about sucking thick mucus out of his ears and then something about ear drops and follow-up. Maybe he could have given us that report in the waiting room?

Anyway, after a good 10 minutes of complaining (the nice mom word for screaming), Mase settled down and fell asleep in my arms.

20140115_092124
We thought that would be the end of the bad stuff–but then the puking started. I’m not surprised that his poor sensitive GI tract wasn’t a fan of the anesthesia. When he puked the first time, the nurse said, “It’s usually just once. I doubt it’ll happen again.” When he puked the second time (ALLLL over Brent and the clothes I’d JUST put on him), she said “I’m sure it won’t happen again.”

Well, surprise! He did it again.

We were still able to go home, despite the volcanic activity. After waiting for an hour, I offered him a little bit of water again, and he was finally able to keep it down, along with a light lunch. I kept him up just long enough to make sure of that, and then finally got him down for a nap around 1:30. He slept until 5.

Which worked out perfectly, since I was banking on being able to work from home in the afternoon. When he woke up, he was more or less back to his old self, and didn’t seem too traumatized (except when he laid eyes on that bear and felt the impulse to ruthlessly attack it).

So that’s our ear tube story! So far. I’m eager to see what (if anything) the procedure will do for his speech, and maybe even his balance. (He’s always been pretty hesitant/conservative about climbing on things and I wondered if that had anything to do with compromised balance.)

In other news, I recently started a list in Gmail of recipes that I stumble across and want to remember to make. Kinda like Pinterest, but, you know, more urgent? Surprise surprise: it’s already starting to implode, just like my Pinterest boards too. Sighhhh.

How does anyone get themselves to actually make all the things they intend to make? I’m at a loss.

Here are just a handful of the things on my new list:

Super food cereal

Breakfast oatmeal cupcakes to go

Weeknight mushroom and kale pasta

Chicken stew with butternut squash and quinoa

Strawberries and cream bars

Cinnamon maple breakfast quinoa

Slow roasted caprese tomatoes and black pepper pasta (I’ve actually made this before and it was AMAZING–I just remembered that it existed)

I’ve also jotted down a couple articles/blog posts that I’ve enjoyed reading, in case you don’t already have enough of those in your life.

Things to read:

How to make this year your best one ever

10 rules for kids who eat healthy

Comparison is the thief of joy

Making time for health when you’re busy

Daily first world struggles for a white girl – haha RIGHT?

Yes, women can get too bulky

Question of the Day: Seriously, how do you actually follow through on good recipe intentions? Tips welcome.

Have a great day!

Paul January 22, 2014 at 6:27 am

Happy to know that the surgery was successfu. and ath the end of th eday you went home safely with your kid.

Jenny January 17, 2014 at 11:52 am

I’m so glad that Mase’s surgery went well! Here’s to continued success for the little guys and his wonderful parents :)

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Jenny! :)

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food January 16, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I’m so happy to hear that the surgery went well!! He should feel much better now!

I make a plan at the beginning of the week of what new recipes from interest I want to try. I don’t always end up making everything I want to but I try :)
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend Update 1/12/14My Profile

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Alex!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 16, 2014 at 9:32 pm

You are such a great mama! I’m glad to hear everything went well despite sad little Mason and the vomiting. Praying this brings positive results!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…01/16/14: Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Thank you Ashley!

Kim January 16, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I’m glad that for the most part everything went OK with the surgery (other than the puking!!). I hope it helps.
I sometimes create a temporary board for a week or two and put Pinterest recipes on it that I’m going to make during a couple week time period.
Kim recently posted…Workout Options – Videos, Pinterest, Machines, Classes, Wing-ItMy Profile

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Hmm interesting idea!!!

Claire January 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Kim, I’m so happy to hear the surgery went well & everyone’s home…hope the little guy has great improvements!
Claire

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Claire!

Emily @ More Than Just Dessert January 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I am glad Mason’s surgery went well! I would (or will be) a complete wreck when it is my kid’s turn.

I have that problem with recipes too, so you definitely aren’t alone. I know this isn’t the most “environment friendly” way, but what works best for me is if I actually print out a hard copy so that I can take it with me to the grocery store to get the ingredients!
Emily @ More Than Just Dessert recently posted…Veggies— they’re not just for salads anymore!My Profile

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Smart! But I’m so used to organizing my grocery lists by sections of the store that I’d probably end up circling the place a million times to grab things I missed if I tried that, haha.

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 16, 2014 at 5:43 pm

That is a very serious question! Ha! J/K, I pin lots of different recipes and some I never end up making. However, I make my meal plan weekly and go to my Pinterest boards first for ideas or recipes. I like to vary our meals so I pretty much try at least one new recipe a week. I think jotting it down on my meal plan and making sure I grocery shop for it helps me to actually make it.
Glad to hear the surgery went well and hopefully he recovers quickly!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…My Favorite Room and Dimensions Home DecorMy Profile

Kim January 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm

You’re such a meal plan pro Giselle! I’m hoping your talents will rub off on me one of these days. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes January 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm

glad that everything sorta went ok. . . at least it’s over now! And hopefully things will be better from now on for his ears/hearing/balance. :) Hugs!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diareis January 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hahah so glad you could relate to the “struggles” !!! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diareis recently posted…Daily First World Struggles for a White GirlMy Profile

Kim January 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I love them. :) I could add about 20 of my own. And I HAAAATE getting gas too! My husband makes fun of me for it all the time.

Thanks for making my day with your post!

Amanda January 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Glad to hear everything went well with Mason’s surgery! As for recipes…I’m about as good at organizing and following through on them as you are…

Kim January 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Well, good to know I’m not alone at least!