My problem with dreaming

by Kim on November 25, 2013

Look what happened over the weekend:

IMG_3944

Oh yes, I did. Thanksgiving schmanksgiving–it’s CHRISTMAS!

The primetime TV lineup lately would totally back me up on this. So many great shows/movies that I have to drop everything to watch–like the Wizard of Oz last night, and ANY DAY now, Rudolph (my personal favorite).

Mason watched The Grinch last night for the first time ever, and I’m sure his life was changed.

IMG_3957

It was another full weekend of scattering books and toys all over the living room.

IMG_3960

I was surprised he didn’t seem too interested in the Christmas tree. He checked it out a little bit (from afar) when he first saw it, but then pretty much went about his day as usual. Ha! Crisis averted.

On Saturday, I stopped by a Women’s Expo downtown just for kicks. There was a speaker on healthy living in the morning that I was hoping to catch, but I was having too much fun lounging in my grubbies with the fam until noon. So I attended a presentation on living your dreams in the afternoon instead.

017 (2)

The presentation was all about changing your perspective around dreaming. Do you think it’s a waste of time or unrealistic to dream? Do you have dreams, but not the time or energy to pursue them? Are you too afraid of failure to dream big?

And if so: how can you reprogram your thinking to have a more positive outlook on dreaming and to make it more of a priority in your life? (Assuming we don’t all want to get to the end of our lives with “I successfully lived to this age” as our primary accomplishment.)

Personally, dreaming is not my problem. I have about a thousand dreams, and new ones pop into my brain every other day. I’m a huge dreamer. I’m not afraid of it, I don’t think it’s stupid (even though 80% of my ideas are), and I’m happy to make room for it in my life.

My real problem is focus. There are so many things I want to pursue that I’m paralyzed by the possibilities. How do I know which is the right one to go after?

I came away from the presentation sort of lacking–at least, in the answers I was looking for. But it did give me a little motivational boost, which is something I can never get enough of.

Next to the presentation stage was a booth for something called the Dream Bank. I haven’t been to the actual local Dream Bank, but from what I can tell, it’s a place where you can go to just hang out and explore your dreams, using different interactive tools and inspirational presentations. Crazy, right? (I have no idea how something like that is funded, but anyway…)

At the booth, there was this tree:

019 (2)

The idea was to pick a tag that represents you and hang it on the tree, as a sort of declarative gesture.

020 (2)

The speaker also talked about how it’s powerful to announce your goals publicly, in some way. I guess this kind of counts.

Of course, I wanted to hang about 11 different tags. Ughh…

After the expo, I headed to my new favorite study hang-out (a less-popular Starbucks) to hit the book.

022 (2)

So far, I’ve read and highlighted my entire NASM textbook and gotten through 17/20 chapters on my personal study guide. (I’m basically transferring key info to a separate Word document that I’ll then start studying.) By the time I’m done with the study guide, it’ll easily be 100 pages long! And then I need to start cramming…test is on December 17, aka THREE WEEKS! (That just made me sweat a little, typing that…)

I got home to find Mason just waking up from a FOUR HOUR power nap. Kid is insane.

The rest of the day looked a lot like this:

20131124_115115

On Sunday, we had friends over for the Packers/Vikings game.

20131124_123521

I made shredded chicken for tacos in the crockpot, along with some healthy-ish snacks.

IMG_3969

Not sure about that game outcome though–a TIE?? I honestly don’t remember ever seeing this happen before. What??

Welp, off to power through a couple quick days of work before the long holiday weekend! Can’t wait!

Are you a dreamer? Or do you wish you could dream, but find that something’s holding you back?

What is your dream?

Here’s your chance to “publicly” announce it. :)

Favorite holiday show/movie??

xoxo, Kim

Johne532 July 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Appreciate you sharing, great blog post.Thanks Again. Really Cool. gbdgbeadedde

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 1, 2013 at 7:45 am

I can relate to Mason’s four hour power nap…I also took one during the entire Packer-Viking game and woke up just in time to see OT ending with a tie. Lame. Wish I could have attended the expo– looked like a good one!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Chicago World’s FairMy Profile

Ali November 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

I was going to decorate for xmas but then I got preoccupied and probably a little lazy. It’s going up this weekend! My favorite xmas movie is Home Alone and then the Grinch!
Ali recently posted…The Thankful Project (Days 24-27)My Profile

Rachel@curious runner girl November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I more have dream ‘things’ – like my dream house, dream job, dream lifestyle, etc. My husband is a major dreamer and I love it! Favourite holiday movie… Hmmm, this is hard. Maybe the holiday or some cheesy romantic Christmas movie :)
Rachel@curious runner girl recently posted…Kerikeri Half Marathon Race Recap…My Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome November 25, 2013 at 8:27 pm

So jealous of your Christmas tree! I would love to have ours up but we’ll have to wait until we are in the new house :-( I actually don’t think I’m much of a dreamer. There are definitely things I want to do and accomplish in my life but being so happy at this point keeps my mind from wandering or dreaming too much.
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Marvelous Cultured KitchenMy Profile

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness November 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Your tree is GORGEOUS!!! I love it!!! It looks out of a Martha Stewart magazine!!! I cannot stick to a theme. We have random ass ornaments on ours – we get a new one each year because I’m a big sentimental sap. I always look at pretty trees like yours and wish I had that kind of brain that makes things look pretty like that. And I feel you on the dreaming without focus thing. There are so many things I dream up, want to do but then get distracted by something else awesome I dream up… Oy. Dream ADD, dude.
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Starting to Feel Holidayish!My Profile

Kim November 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Haha Dream ADD: TOTALLY. You nailed it with that.

Wow, something I did and the Martha Stewart magazine never belong in the same sentence. Haha! But thank you! There are definitely some random ornaments in there, too–I just made sure the most embarrassing ones were in the back. :) I’m guessing by next year Mason will be ready to “help” and it won’t look quite like this!

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 25, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Don’t even get me started about that game. . . oh well, at least both of us and our husbands can be sorta happy all at once, right? ;)

Kim November 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Or sorta sad… :)

I just don’t get how it works with their stats. Why can’t they just give each team a win vs. a tie?

Rodgers is the head of my fantasy team, so he’s ruining my life in a couple of ways right now. :)