No mouth to mouth, please

by Kim on October 22, 2013

For awhile now, I’ve been on the hunt for something to put on the wall in one of our bathrooms. I saw this at Target yesterday and thought it was pretty cute, with the exact combo of blue, white, and rustic-ness I was looking for.

254

But then I thought…is that the right message for a bathroom?

Haha. I almost got it just to see if people would comment on it.

As with all Target trips, that had nothing to do with the reason I was really there. I’d actually stopped for this:

255

We were out of “my” coffee at home (the mocha-flavored Gevalia, as opposed to Brent’s boring house blend stuff) and I knew I had a long day ahead (including 4 ungodly hours of CPR training), so I was feeling a gigantic skinny vanilla latte calling my name.

Just my luck: the espresso machine was out for maintenance. THAT HAPPENS??

Oh well. A chocolate chai latte was a pretty awesome stand-in.

The CPR class was long and boring, but actually not as long and boring as I’d expected. At first, I was frustrated that I couldn’t just take the refresher course, despite having been certified multiple times before (you had to have a current certification). So I was planning to morph into my sullen/rebellious high schooler alter-ego during the class, to teach the instructor a lesson.

I was also grumpy about the cost of the class, so I really stuck it to the man by passive aggressively complaining about it on Twitter.

CPR

I mean…right? It should at least be a tax credit.

Despite my poor attitude (which was further exacerbated by the fact that I got lost looking for the class and ended up busting into a meeting with a bunch of nurses before finding the right room), I somehow ended up staying pretty engaged for the entire 4 hours. Turns out a lot has changed in the CPR world over the past few years.

I knew that the recommendations were moving away from mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, and ultimately, away from rescue breathing even with a mask (toward just doing chest compressions), but I’d thought that was just to simplify CPR (and to remove the icky kissing part) so that people would be more likely to actually use it.

In reality, the reasons are even more complex and interesting than that. For example:

–The percentage of oxygen you’re delivering to a victim during rescue breathing is actually very low, and the difference in survival rates between old school CPR and chest-compressions-only is not impressive.

–It’s easy to give the victim more air than he needs, so some air inevitably ends up in the stomach, causing vomiting. (Not ideal in a mouth-to-mouth situation.)

–Researchers are currently trying to prove that the amount of air that’s naturally sucked in through the mouth while chest compressions are being delivered is enough to sustain a victim.

–Diseases can be transmitted through mouth-to-mouth. (The instructor had a sad story about a police officer who died from a disease contracted that way.)

The tricky part: this only applies to adults. With kids, who don’t have as much oxygen circulating through their bodies at any given time, rescue breathing is still a critical part of the process.

One girl in the class got really worked up about the idea that someone could potentially use mouth-to-mouth on her and give her some horrible disease. She even mentioned getting a bracelet that said “no mouth to mouth, please.” What??

(Another of that girl’s gems: she asked what she should do if she was in the middle of nowhere, without a phone, with no hope of being looked for anytime soon, and she’d done CPR on the victim to the point of exhaustion. Umm…what kind of answer was she looking for? An intro to smoke signals?)

Anyway. I’m now officially CPR certified and ready to take on the world.

20131022_110718

Booyah!

In other news, tomorrow is my FIRST OFFICIAL DAY on the new job! I’m feeling surprisingly calm about it—I think mostly because Brent’s mom is coming to watch Mason for these first 3 days, which will save me from having anxiety attacks about the daycare transition all day. She’s also offered to help with the cooking, which I am not dumb enough to turn down. Thank goodness for Grandmas!!

Completely unrelated yet critical question:

Are you familiar with the term “underdog” as it relates to pushing kids on swings?

My husband JUST learned this term and is under the impression that he is normal. Please help settle this.

Katie @ running4cupcakes October 24, 2013 at 9:23 am

I know I am totally late to commenting on this post. . .but hope your first day went well. I had my Mom watch Luke for my first week back to work and that was super nice for the transition. Can’t wait to hear about the new job!! And yes “underdog” is totally a swing term. ;)

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Yes, I loved underdogs!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…I’m Not Airbrushed {My Response to Maria Kang’s Photo}My Profile

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food October 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

Oh yes I know what an underdog is!!! Clearly he didn’t have as much fun on swings as we did :)

Good luck starting your new job!!!
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday #4My Profile

Emily @ More Than Just Dessert October 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Haha yes to underdogs! They were a must on the swingset!
Emily @ More Than Just Dessert recently posted…Healthier “Creamy” Potato Leek Soup (Dairy Free!)My Profile

Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles October 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm

We did underdogs all the time at the park when I was little! Good luck tomorrow. Thank goodness for grandmas. : )
Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles recently posted…Weekend RecapMy Profile

Katie October 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I would be frustrated too, but the changes are significant. And that girl would’ve kept me entertained!
Katie recently posted…Small Town ShoppingMy Profile

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm

She was a treat. :)

Presley @ Run Pretty October 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I was telling people about the new CPR rules recently and they didn’t believe me. Apparently, everything I say comes across as BS? hahah Also, way to stand up for your self via Twitter. FIST BUMP. :)

Have a great day tomorrow!
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Weekend Recap + I’m Bad at MathMy Profile

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Here’s the plan: I’m assuming the government is monitoring my tweets and that they’ll be shamed enough by this to make some dramatic changes. Twitter politics baby!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm

If you ever were a child, you should know what an underdog is. Its okay though, Scott just heard the expression “hair of the dog” for the first time last weekend…now he thinks he is the coolest person in the world when he gets to use it. Good luck tomorrow!!!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Marathon Training Week #12 + A Little SurveyMy Profile

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

EXACTLY! Thank you.

To be fair: I just learned what “elbow grease” meant last week. But I found the underdog thing deeply shocking.

ErikaMC October 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Yes – we did underdogs all the time on the swings. I’m on your side with this one – he is not normal :)

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

THANK. YOU.

brooke lyn October 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm

oh joy, this excited to get certified before my NASM test too. (read with slight sarcasm)
brooke lyn recently posted…daughterMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome October 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Underdog sounds familiar but I don’t remember exactly what its referring to. I have heard it in association with swinging though.
I agree, CPR is so boring! I took one right after The Love Nugget was born and it was much shorter and relaxed since it was through my moms group. Not nearly as bad as others I’ve been to.
Good luck tomorrow!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Toddler Tuesday – Encouraging Reading in KidsMy Profile

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Haha! I’m so shocked about this underdog thing!! I thought it was so universally recognized. :)

At least the CPR thing is just one night–done and done! And like I said, it ended up being more interesting than I expected.

Kim October 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Glad you have CPR out of the way!!!
Good luck tomorrow – so exciting!

And, yes – I spent years of my life mastering the underdog!!!
Kim recently posted…We Really Only Need 4 Basic Things!!!My Profile

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm

YES! haha :)

And thank you!

Kristina October 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never heard the term “underdog” used for pushing kids on the tree. I have to side with your husband because I like to think I’m normal too. ;)

Kristina October 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm

SWING! Not tree…I have no idea where that came from. lol

Kim October 22, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’m so shocked by this!! My husband’s going to love reading your comment though. :)

Amanda October 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I know exactly what you mean when you say underdog. :-) I thought everybody knew what an underdog was!

Good luck tomorrow!