No sugar day 1 + newborn pics!

by Kim on November 10, 2014

Hey guys! How was your weekend?

I had one of those “what did I do all weekend?” weekends. Mostly, I remember a lot of hanging out with this super serious kid:

IMG_6539

On Saturday morning, I went to a hot yoga class, and something horrible happened.

I put my hair up in a super tight bun, spent an hour sweating my butt off, came home and (apparently) violently ripped my wet hair out of the bun. After showering and drying my hair, I noticed it: tons of short little broken off hairs, high up on my head! HAIR FAIL.

So that confirmed my decision to get a pretty dramatic hair cut. I mean, my hair hates being long so much it’s finding ways to cut itself. So this Thursday, it’s happening.

Saturday afternoon, I did something totally weird and out of character: I napped when the baby napped. Whoever thought of that advice is a genius, and I should listen more often.

Yesterday was church, some freelance work (I’m doing writing/editing for a web design company on the side), and some more BodyFlow team teaching. I tried two new tracks for the first time, and although they definitely weren’t perfect, they weren’t a total flop either. I have until December 19 to perfect my entire release and videotape myself doing it in front of a group, so time is definitely ticking!

Which brings us to today—aka Day 1 of my 10 Day No Sugar Challenge!

no sugar

I spent a ton of time doing meal planning over the weekend, and finally made it to the grocery store at 9 PM last night. Interesting that my sugar-free grocery haul ended up being the most expensive grocery trip in a long, long time. (I think partially because I was stocking up on some pricey specialty foods like coconut butter.)

Also, our fridge could explode at any second.

Lessons learned so far:

It is incredibly hard to find sugar-free bacon. Totally didn’t anticipate that. I know you can find it online, but I didn’t realize that might be the only way to get it.

It is incredibly hard to find sugar-free pasta sauce. Actually, it might be impossible. I ended up getting a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce, and I’m going to try to cobble something together out of that for a zucchini lasagna this week. It should be entertaining…

No but really, sugar is in everything.

P.S. If you’re interested in joining the challenge, it’s not too late! Hop on board! You can join the Facebook group here.

Oh, and I realized I never shared Josh’s newborn/family photos from a few months ago. Here’s a little sample…

001e

Bros <3

012

Hair!

030

CHEEKS!

035

Have a wonderful week!

(We’re expecting the dreaded FIRST SNOW tomorrow, so I can’t make any promises…)

xo

P.S. If you’re wondering where the inspiration board is today: given my plan to blog a little less, I decided to do boards every other week instead of every week. I’ll try to make the next one extra inspirational to last two weeks. :)

Heidi @ Idlehide Blog November 29, 2014 at 5:36 am

Sweet photos of your boys. I am seriously missing the newborn days lately! :)

I have been contemplating a sugar free diet to kind of cleanse myself before the Holidays and for when my maternity leave is over. Have a great weekend! :)

emma November 11, 2014 at 2:27 pm

What darling pictures! And good for you on the hot yoga, I’m ready to do more of that now that it’s officially cold around here. :)

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples November 11, 2014 at 8:06 am

Oh my goodness – that cheeks picture is SO cute! (I mean they all are, but that one is too much!) I’d love to do a no-sugar challenge… I just need to majorly step up my meal planning game!
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…Indiegogo Campaign Is Live!My Profile

Giselle November 10, 2014 at 10:06 pm

So sad that sugar is in everything right!?!
I’m really trying to stick with this 10 day challenge but know Thursday I’m going to want wine while out with friends…. That’s where I struggle :-(
LOVE the family pictures! Your boys are just too adorable!
Giselle recently posted…Marvelous…My Profile

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 10, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I love the family pictures! So cute!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…I Mustache You Some QuestionsMy Profile

Katie@LifesNextBigStep November 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Oh my goodness. Those babies of yours!!! And yes. hair and cheeks. 100%!

On the sugar thing. What about fruit? I’m sure you mentioned this…but I don’t recall…since I have had, like, 5 fun size candies today, I’m PRETTY sure this no sugar thing would do me some good….
Katie@LifesNextBigStep recently posted…Fitness Friday – Weekly Workout Round Up #14 and #15My Profile

Kim November 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I’m not cutting fruit or no-sugar-added dairy (but not bingeing on them either). :) You should join! Start tomorrow! :)

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine November 10, 2014 at 1:06 pm

BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!
(Girl…homemade sauce is the ONLY way to go anyway! So much better!)
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…I Mustache You Some QuestionsMy Profile

Kim November 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Rebecca! Do you have a fav sauce recipe??? Or do you just wing it?

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine November 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I just wing it! But I always use Salt-Free Muir Glen tomato sauce and then loads of spices and herbs like basil, oregano, garlic, etc!

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 10, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I think Whole Foods brand spaghetti sauce is without sugar and it’s not too pricey! And same for Target Brand (Archer Farms) bacon. I’m a weirdo when it comes to analyzing food labels for sugar so if you need any help, let me know! Also, the hair! And the cheeks! What a cutie pie!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Traditional RunzasMy Profile

Kim November 10, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Good to know!! Thanks Becky!

Lizzie @ The Magic Tree November 10, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I cut out sugar this past summer for three months. You’re right – it is close to impossible to find sugar free pasta sauce. I think it’s because tomatoes have naturally occurring sugar, so it obviously can’t be removed? I highly recommend Ezekial bread (it has 0 grams sugar) and Quest bars to help with the cravings. Hang in there the first seven days, girl. After that, EVERYTHING gets better! Looking forward to reading.
Lizzie @ The Magic Tree recently posted…Sunday Snaps: 11/9My Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm

oh my goodness – that HAIR. Love love love. And isn’t it AMAZING how when you start to read labels that sugar is in EVERYTHING? OMG when I did my first AdvoCare challenge, I was floored. And yup ended up making my own spaghetti sauce!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Weekend Update: 11/9/14My Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate November 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I love that first photo of Josh, haha! Cute family photos-it makes me miss fall already and it’s not even officially over :(
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Wedding Recap: The Reception Part IMy Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West November 10, 2014 at 11:43 am

I’ve also looked for pasta sauces with less sugar, and it’s sooo not easy. Good luck to you on this challenge!! And happy Monday:)
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…How to massage yourself with a ball + workoutsMy Profile