Not the holiday story I was hoping to tell

by Kim on January 5, 2015

I’M BACK!

And I have to say: I’ve never been more eager to get back to a normal routine. The past two weeks have been…dramatic.

Before I get into the whole saga, check it out: my first magazine contribution is hot off the press, and it comes complete with my first published name misspelling!

20150103_150906

(It’s Krueger.)

Haha.

I also got my first experience with the cutthroat editing process. The pieces I wrote were super short to begin with—two 150-word blurbs (right on the assigned word count, thankyouverymuch)—but they somehow got trimmed down even more.

Of course, I noticed every little change, and swore they RUINED EVERYTHING.

20150103_150928

Still, somehow, I got a raving review from the editor and an invitation to write more in the future. Foot in door, baby!

Anyway, back to that story. The last time we talked, I was telling you about how sick Mason was. (And I thought things were rough then!) Of course, the next day—Christmas Eve—it was my turn.

Oh. Man. Did I get hit hard. I was completely miserable through all three Christmases—the one at home and both grandparents’. I’m not sure if I had an actual sinus infection, but Google tells me it had all the earmarks. Major congestion, major nose running, major misery, and oh.my.gosh the headaches. I felt like I was hungover for a week straight. (It didn’t help that Josh forgot how to sleep while we traveled, and was waking up approximately four billion times a night.)

On the Saturday after Christmas (when we were, conveniently, out of town), my headache escalated to a raging migraine. It left me totally debilitated, and when I just could NOT shake it, I ended up in the ER. After two hours in the waiting room (AGONY), I got a cocktail of drugs that left me feeling simultaneously jump-out-of-my-skin anxious and drooling-on-myself KO’d. What a nightmare!

On top of that, after all the stress and drugs, and a long day in the hospital (away from Josh or a pump), my milk supply plummeted. We were lucky that my sister-in-law is also breastfeeding and was able to donate some milk to tide Josh over, but now, over a week later, I’m still working on getting my supply back up. I’m chained to the pump and gobbling up lactation herbs like a crazy woman. Oh the joys.

Anyway.

When I wasn’t dying, we did make some nice holiday memories. Christmas morning, Mason woke up to a big holiday train in the living room (a hand-me-down from my grandma)—it was a huge hit, for something that had been sitting in the basement for a year. (And I bet it’ll be just as exciting when we bring it out again next year!)

10548085_10103803511803737_4096351828185196847_o

Joshie got a Sophie giraffe…because all I’ve ever heard about Sophies is that all babies MUST. HAVE. ONE.

10872858_10103803511733877_6779666160738730568_o

We took advantage of my mom’s babysitting services to hit up the aquarium in the Mall of America in Minnesota.

20141230_122330

I also got to check out a new outlet mall near my parents’ house, which was awesome until I realized it was an OUTDOOR outlet mall. Yeah. I braved single digit temps to score a Reebok tank and a few things from Old Navy.

We even made it to a masquerade party on NYE:

10882187_1606478986247290_4903505545504646521_n

That’s me with the missing masquerade mask. What a party pooper.

Honestly, the rest of the holidays is a blur. Mostly, I remember lots of tasty food, two really really REALLY helpful grandmas, and a couple cute little boys.

20150104_105821

It’s good to be home.

What’s your holiday story?

xo

Kim January 7, 2015 at 1:51 pm

So sorry that you were so sick during the holidays. I hope you have that over and done with for the year now!!!
Kim recently posted…Conditioning Is Key!!My Profile

Giselle January 6, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Oh no that sounds horrible! At least you got some cute pics of your boys :-)
Giselle recently posted…Reflecting on 2014My Profile

Carly @ Fine Fit Day January 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I’m so sorry you were sick over the holidays! That’s no fun, especially with little ones. Congrats on the magazine feature though – that’s awesome!
Carly @ Fine Fit Day recently posted…Easy Meals: Savory PancakesMy Profile

Jade January 6, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Losing my milk supply before I’m ready to wean is one of my bigger fears! You can do it (bring it back up)! Glad the house is feeling better.

Kim January 6, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I’m almost comfortable with where it is now–it was super scary for a minute there, though! After the entire day at the hospital I pumped 3 ounces total and panicked!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 6, 2015 at 11:44 am

I’m sorry that you were sick for the holidays!! Not fun! I’m glad that you are feeling better now, though!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…New Year’s WeekendMy Profile

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 6, 2015 at 10:37 am

Ugh, I’m so sorry about getting sick!! I woke up on Jan 1 feeling hungover (kind of cruel when you can’t even drink because you’re pregnant!) and ended up going to urgent care the next day to make sure it wasn’t the flu. There are some nasty bugs going around right now. Take care of yourself and relax after the crazy holidays :)
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#69 Treat Yourself TuesdayMy Profile

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

Congratulations on the publication! (I totally feel ya on the editing thing though – worst feeling ever!) Sorry about everything else though.. glad everything’s getting back on track! :) xo
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…Gluten and Depression: The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 6, 2015 at 9:17 am

Oh Girl, I’m so sorry to hear you got so sick over the holidays! Boo for flu season. It’s the worst. I am so glad to hear about your magazine article success though! That’s so awesome – congratulations!!!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…My New Favorite Pair of ShoesMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes January 6, 2015 at 8:44 am

oh man – we had very similar holidays. . . I was sick with the exact same thing – it sucked! And we checked out the new outlet mall too- and agreed – it will be way better in the summer. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…TYT #18 – Christmas!My Profile

Kim January 6, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Ugh sorry to hear you had it too!!! I feel like I fell off the planet for two weeks and Christmas didn’t even happen. Better luck next year I guess!

Funny you were at the mall too! Oh my gosh, SO cold…I bet the Starbucks there does well. :)

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West January 6, 2015 at 12:13 am

Hi Kim! We’ve missed you. What a terrible story, I’m so sorry to hear all of that. However, congratulations on your magazine piece. I’ve had a few pieces of freelance work published, and each time I’m upset if even one word is changed. :) hehehe I guess we are proud of our original thoughts, but published is published. My Christmas was wonderful, I went back to Florida to see family and friends. And luckily, I escaped two cross-country flights without any sickness. Hope all is back to normal for you!