Old Race Shirts: Trash or Treasure?

by Kim on February 13, 2013

Well, Mason’s “Operation Stay an Only Child Forever” campaign is right on track.

He randomly chose to wake up in the middle of the night last night and STAY AWAKE FOR 3 HOURS. I’m not talking about the playing-quietly-in-his-crib kind of awake, but the scream-bloody-murder-no-matter-what-Mom-does kind of awake. I’m not sure if it’s teething, one of the other four million possibilities, or the fact that all we ever see in the monitor these days is this:

masecrib2

Or this:

masecrib

And, yesterday, this:

mase sitting up (Sleeping sitting up)

None very conducive to great sleep.

Anyway, nights like last night make the idea of giving him a brother or sister someday very, very unappealing. I mean, people really do this multiple times??

Haha. Mostly kidding. I’m delirious and can’t be held responsible for anything I say today.

In other news, I realized that I forgot to talk about Salute to Simple yesterday. (I’ve been shooting for Tuesday wrap-ups, but the fact that we were traveling over the weekend through Monday has thrown my internal calendar way out of wack.)

Finally…it’s the LAST WEEK!

STS week 5

I don’t think anyone’s been enjoying this challenge more than Brent. Last week, he said, “I like this blog. It makes you do things!”

(He’s going to be mad at me for quoting that, since it implies that I never did things before and makes him sound like a jerk. He obviously didn’t mean it like that. But I couldn’t tweak the quote because, duh, I’m a serious journalist.)

Throughout this whole challenge, I’ve been both looking forward to and dreading this week.

I knew what my nagging task was going to be on Day 1. It was something I’d put off and just dealt with for so long, it was like the untreated infection of my life. It just kept getting worse.

Behold: my workout clothes/pajamas (those things are often interchangeable to me…) drawers.

IMG_2681

Barely even closeable (you have to press down the clothes while pushing in the drawer), brimming with I-don’t-even-know-what…it was TIME.

When I pulled everything out and piled it onto the bed, it looked like this:

IMG_2683 IMG_2684

There were skanky old tank tops from college, a confusing amount of maternity things (oops), and about a kajillion race shirts. I tossed the tanks and stored the maternity stuff, but I couldn’t figure out what to do with the race shirts (technically, there were 14). I mean, I don’t really wear them…I prefer long tank tops or more fitted T-shirts for working out. (You know how [not] flattering those race shirts are!) But they’re so sentimental.

Anyway, I’m still working on the race shirt thing. They’re hanging out in the closet now, but at least they’re out of The Drawers.

Here’s the after shot (complete with some way-too-bright morning light):

IMG_2699

As with all my other StS projects, this was not hard or time-consuming. There’s really no excuse for why it had never been done before.

And, DANG, it’s nice.

What do you do with your race shirts??

If you’ve been keeping up with StS, what’s your nagging task?

In case you missed my previous StS wrap-ups, here’s Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4.

signature

Caroline February 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Congrats on getting through all those tops! My nagging task is also to go through all my clothes and get rid of the clothes I don’t regularly wear! All my race shirts are stacked right now. Three I actually wear frequently, but the rest just sit…
Caroline recently posted…Cherry Vanilla CupcakesMy Profile

Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly's February 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I don’t know what I want to do with mine either.
Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly’s recently posted…Year of Baking: Bouchon Bakery’s TLC CookieMy Profile

Aimee February 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I did see this pin awhile ago and thought it would be a good alternative to the quilt. Thinking of doing this with old race t-shirts for my office.

Aimee recently posted…StressMy Profile

Kim February 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Cool!! I’ve never heard of that!

Laura @ Fit Running Mama February 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I need to do something with them but I don’t want to toss them. I’m not crafty enough to something amazing with them either like a quilt and I don’t want to spend the $$ to have someone do it… Once you have some ideas you should do a follow up post with all the things you CAN do with old race shirts!
Laura @ Fit Running Mama recently posted…WIAW: Veggie Fail!My Profile

Kim February 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Right there with you on the non-crafty thing. Good idea on the follow-up post–on it! :)

Becky Krueger February 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Kim,

Sounds like the T shirts could be another project for me if you’re interested :) Let me know if you find some ideas you like .

Kim February 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm

You’re so nice. :) Thanks for the offer, I’ll look around a little and let you know!

Lacey Horn February 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

Here is a link to a project I have been thinking about tackling. You could have it in your rec room or somewhere out of sight. http://www.ecokaren.com/2010/08/how-to-recycle-t-shirts-to-make-a-memory-quilt/
FYI People are totally doing this with their baby’s clothes too.

Kim February 13, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the link Lacey! I like the baby clothes idea, too.

Miranda February 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

Not sure if you sew or know someone who does but out of a bunch of my old shirts that I thought were still good/cool I actually made grocery shopping/farmers market bags out of them :) just sew up the bottom of the shirt cut off the neck and sleeves, add straps and done!
Mine look a little like this but I made the straps go all the way to the bottom for extra support with the heavier groceries.
The other great part about them too then is that you can throw them in the washing machine if something spills/gets icky.

Kim February 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

Oooh now THAT’S something I could use! What a cool idea, thanks for sharing Miranda! I’ll have to research that a little more…

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

I am cracking up as I read your post! For one, our little guy has fallen asleep sitting up like that too. If he loses his pacifier he will often wake up crying and when we go put it in, it’s like he was knocked out! He passes out head down in his lap often! Funny! Then, my pajama and exercise clothe drawers look EXACTLY like yours and I just spent the morning a few days ago cleaning them out. I always struggle with getting rid of my race shirts even though I almost never wear them again. I just can’t part with them! I need to search Pinterest to find some good ideas with what to do with them :-)
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…WIAW and AWESOME giveaway!My Profile

Debbie@Healthy Running Mom February 13, 2013 at 10:23 am

So funny that you posted about this today as it’s something that I’ve been meaning to tackle as well, but don’t have a solution, so I do nothing.
I know there are people out there who convert your old race shirts into a quilt & it sounds amazing, I just have never done anything about any of it yet. However, I too have to push down my running gear to get my drawer shut- I should get on that!
Debbie@Healthy Running Mom recently posted…WIAW #2My Profile

Kim February 13, 2013 at 11:14 am

I’ve heard about those quilts too…something to think about!