Prenatal fitness certification info

by Kim on May 29, 2014

Wow, I’m missing my stay-at-home mom days like craaazy today–the weather is PERFECT (blue skies, warm temp, gentle breeze, the works) and I’d give anything to be outside hanging with my buddy right now.

981686_10102205285277507_34792290_o

#tbt one year ago!

I’m actually thankful my office doesn’t have a window. I don’t need any more reminders of what I’m missing.

It doesn’t help that I’m writing about summer berry recipes for my job right now, either. I spent the day yesterday writing “appetite-appealing” descriptions of strawberry shortcake and blueberry lemon tart and mixed berry sweet rolls…WHY??

In summary: having a full time job in the summer < having a full time job in the winter. Poor me, right?

Anyway, as you might remember, I’ve been working on my prenatal fitness certification lately. I’m getting certified through Fit for Birth, an NASM/ACE/NCSF-approved program that emphasizes things like muscle imbalance correction, stress control, and proper breathing. (The more I read, the more shocked I am at the HUGE role those three things play in our health, especially during pregnancy. Definitely not stuff to breeze over!)

ffb

I think the certification is about 30 hours of work total–so definitely a much smaller commitment than my NASM CPT was–but I’ve been kind of dawdling my way through it for some reason. I’m hoping to get a big leg up on it this weekend, and to wrap it up in the next few weeks.

For those of you who are curious about the course itself (I’ve gotten several questions from fellow prenatal-fitness-cert hopefuls!), I wanted to share a little bit about how Fit for Birth does things.

The program is entirely online, which is nice (I was SO happy to put that massive NASM textbook in a drawer–oofda). The written manual is broken into sections and chapters, and paired with video lectures recorded at a live Fit for Birth class. There are also “open-book” quizzes throughout the course.

At the end, students have to do a live assessment of a pregnant woman, which is either submitted to Fit for Birth on video or done live over Skype.

Yiiikes! I’m nervous about that part, although the Fit for Birth director assured me that it’s totally casual and low pressure. (Umm, except that I’m a perfectionistic freak, so everything is high pressure…)

As for the content of the class, here’s a rundown of the main topics we’re covering:

–History of childbirth and problems with modern childbirth techniques

–Benefits of exercise for the mom and baby

–Physiological changes in pregnancy and effects of stress in pregnancy

–Diaphragmatic breathing, the TVA, and the pelvic floor

–The “Big Four” common muscle imbalance corrections for pregnant women:

Belly Pumping (as opposed to breath locking or poor core awareness & function)
Hip Loading (as opposed to knee or lumbar loading)
Back Loading (as opposed to upper trapezius loading)
Chest Loading (as opposed to front deltoid or shoulder loading)

–Movement assessments

–Program design

There’s also some info about how to prevent or correct common pregnancy discomforts, such as round ligament pain, vericose veins, and back pain. (Sadly, there’s no magic pregnancy fairy dust…it’s more about not doing things that can exacerbate the problems.)

So far, I’m loving Fit for Birth. The course is well-organized and easy to follow, and I’m totally eating up the information. Maybe it’s because I happen to be pregnant right now? I don’t know, but I do know that I’m much more cognizant of how I’m breathing during the day, and how I’m “loading” different parts of my body during workouts. It makes a huge difference!

More info to come!

What (if anything) would you like to know about Fit for Birth, or prenatal fitness in general?

I’m all ears!

Fellow indoor workers: is the weather taunting you too??

sig

Rachel @ Curious Runner June 3, 2014 at 2:21 am

This fit for birth stuff sounds awesome, something I am totally interested in too so look forward to reading all about what you are learning and how it can be put into practice :)
I am in NZ so we have just hit winter now so not too worried about getting outside so much :)
Rachel @ Curious Runner recently posted…Thumbs up Running photos and enter a giveaway!!!My Profile

Kim June 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

Awesome, I’ll definitely write more! Kinda trying to feel out how much people want to hear, so it’s good to know that you’re interested!

Presley @ Run Pretty May 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

I get to go outside at my job (recess) and it really is JUST a tease. I seriously picture myself lying by the pool. It’s bad.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile

Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness May 29, 2014 at 11:33 pm

It sounds like you’re learning some great stuff! I’m actually really lucky! My hours cut down quite a bit in the summer, so I still get a few extra days to work. I can also work from home sometimes. Today I sat out on my porch in the sunshine for a work conference call! I realize how lucky I am.
Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness recently posted…Friday FactsMy Profile

Kelly - A Side of Sweet May 29, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Hi Kim! Randomly stumbled across your blog after you found me on Twitter! Looks amazing! I’m so inspired by your fitness progress and the positive message you have here. Congratulations on your success!
Kelly – A Side of Sweet recently posted…Chai Tea S’mores with Cardamom MarshmallowsMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome May 29, 2014 at 4:29 pm

That sounds like such an interesting class! I bet super informative especially as you go through your pregnancy. Mobility is so overlooked even when we aren’t pregnant. I think it’s great that we’re seeing more people beginning to focus on it and incorporate it into actual instruction. You’ll do great on the assessment part!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Ka-Chow! The Love Nugget Turned Three!My Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes May 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I am feeling the same way right now – would love to be a SAHM with Luke today. So nice out!! And I don’t have a window either, which is probably a good thing. . .
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Healthy Living Summit–2014My Profile

Katie May 29, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Yes! We have a family business, so lunch hours are frowned upon, however we get done early enough that I “could” get plenty of sun in the evening, I just haven’t prioritized it lately. I love your prenatal workouts, I’ve been pinning all of them not because I need them, but because I will want them!
Katie recently posted…Summer 2014 Workout PlanMy Profile

Kim May 29, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Wow that’s a huge compliment, thanks Katie! :)

Amanda May 29, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I’m with you on the weather taunting! I HATE being stuck inside while the weather outside is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately for me, the entire outside of our building is windows and we have open cubicles…so there’s no avoiding having to look at it!! Luckily the weekends have been absolutely gorgeous lately giving us plenty of time to enjoy it. :-)