Reebok finds and a 3-day strength program

by Kim on October 21, 2014

Hey guys! Thanks for the encouragement yesterday on my BodyFlow cert! I already have my first team teaching gig set up for this Sunday—and yes, I’m terrified. Please don’t mess up, please don’t mess up, please don’t mess up…

On a positive note, if I do mess up, I’m guessing no one but the other instructor will notice. (As long as I can avoid screaming OH CRAP and melting down on stage.)

Here’s a nice little perk of instructor-hood: the DISCOUNTS! I knew about the Lululemon fitness instructor discount (10% I think?), but I didn’t realize we got 25% off at Reebok too. I’m already eyeing up this hoodie, which my instructor was rocking all the weekend at BodyFlow training.

yoga hoodie

It says GA on the back…(get it? I didn’t for a long time, haha). And the hood turns into a big, cozy cowl neck—love it!

I’m also digging these cloud leggings:

cloud leggings

I think I’m the only person on earth (or at least in the blogging world) who doesn’t own a pair of funky printed leggings. Am I missing out or what?

Today has been a good day so far. This morning was story hour at Barnes and Noble, which is the highlight of our Tuesdays over here.

20141021_103840

I just have to say, I’ve been loving being a stay-at-home mom to a toddler. It’s just a lot more fun than when it was just me and a baby. There are so many more activities we can participate in around town, plus I have someone to talk to all day—even if he is 2 and pronounces laundry “yang-yee” (one of my favorites, haha).

20141020_163947

I’m not exactly sure what we’re going to do when Joshua grows out of his sleep-anywhere-anytime newborn stage and needs a morning nap in his crib. It’s a huge luxury right now to be able to pile the kids into the car and be gone all morning, knowing that Josh will sleep and Mason doesn’t need to.

Anyway.

Something else I wanted to share today was the strength program I put together for myself recently. I just finished reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women (great read!!), and was thinking about diving into their program, but I didn’t love everything about it. So, I decided to flex my personal training muscles a little bit and write my own.

There are basically two approaches to strength training: you can do circuits, where you work multiple muscle groups at a time and end up with shorter, more intense workouts, or you can do split training, where you work different muscle groups on different days.

I couldn’t decide which approach I liked better (there are pros and cons to each, of course) so I took the easy way out and just combined them. This program starts with the same (super challenging) circuit every day, and then dives into some split work, which changes each day. Bookending all that is a quick warm-up and some core work.

Check it out and feel free to give it a shot if you’re looking for something new! All you need is a set of moderately heavy dumbbells (8-15 lbs. – I use mostly my 10’s and 15’s, although I wish I had some 12’s).

3 Day Strength Program

The days are meant to be spread out in a week, with rest days in between, like WMF or T/Th/Sat.

If you try this, I’d love to hear about it! It’s one of my new go-to’s.

Hope you’re having a great week!

xo

Vincent Farell November 2, 2014 at 8:42 pm

My Girlfriend (Fiora) always find a good exercise regimen that will fit her schedule. Often, I find her doing office work and it’s been a bother to her not taking good care of her health. Will there be a way that you could provide me with an exercise program that is only good for 10-30min? Glad to recommend it to her. Thanks a lot! =D

Erin @ Her Heartland Soul October 24, 2014 at 10:56 am

I love that hoodie! Super cute!
Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…Friday Five 38My Profile

Kim October 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

I know, I waaaaant it! :)

Sarah @ Sweet Miles October 24, 2014 at 9:24 am

Obsessed. With. Those. Leggings. I’ve been loving capris and leggings that are a little different than the typical solid black! They’re so fun! I would NEVER wear something funky like that in everyday life, but running, you can totally get away with crazy colors and patterns!!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…Get in My Belly: Recent Must-Make PinsMy Profile

Kim October 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

Agreed! Christmas list time! :)

char eats greens October 22, 2014 at 6:09 am

I will pin this!! And, you’re not alone — I ALSO do not own funky colored leggings. We should both get on that! The bookstore has story time, whaaaaat?! I need to investigate that in FL when we move! And then other activities to do with Nia in a brand new area AKA the things I’m scared in life to figure out haha.
char eats greens recently posted…lentil sloppy joes (recipe)My Profile

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

You and Nia can go to the beeeaaaach!!! DONE. :)

Giselle October 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

You’ll do such a good job team teaching! I wish I could take your class :-) I found out about the Lululemon discount the other day after I left my gym wearing a Studio Tank. They added me to their registry then gave me 15% off! Score! I’ll have to check out the Reebok one for sure. However I won’t have an actual certificate since I’m just Studio trained so I’m not sure how that would work… Eventually I’m going to go through ACE or NASAM but for now I’m content just working a few hours at The Studio :-)
Giselle recently posted…Chocolate Avocado PuddingMy Profile

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’m not sure exactly how the discount works, or what they need for proof? But I’m guessing working at the Studio would count!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 21, 2014 at 5:33 pm

That’s awesome you’ll already be team teaching this weekend! You’ll do great. One of the things I’ve had to train myself to do is totally fake it ’til ya make it. This means that when I DO mess up (because everyone does every once in awhile), you just gotta go with it, totally fake it, and act like nothing happened. Initially, I would freeze and apologize a bazillion times, but I’m slowly getting better at just rolling with it. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Faith > FearMy Profile

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

That’s awesome advice. :) I just hope I don’t totally freeze!

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy October 21, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Congrats on your BodyFlow cert! Aren’t the discounts great? I love having a discount, but it can be a little dangerous at times! :)
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…Walnut Harvest 2014 With Diamond Of CaliforniaMy Profile

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:32 pm

True, I probably shouldn’t be trusted with it. :)

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West October 21, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I’m definitely more into the full-body circuits. I need some colorful leggings too:)
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…LE TOTE clothing is the Netflix of fashionMy Profile

Kim October 23, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Totally agree about the full-body circuits–the only problem is that they’re SO HARD! I can only survive like 15 minutes at a time. :)

Amanda October 21, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I was literally perusing the internet this morning for a strength program…I can’t wait to give it a go!
Amanda recently posted…Summer HappeningsMy Profile