Skip the gym pass

by Kim on April 24, 2013

I had every intention to go to TRX boot camp on Monday. I really am genuinely curious about it.

Buuut it was the first 60 degree day of the year (!!) and a sweaty, windowless gym can’t really compete with that.

IMG_3242

Plus, I got this email from my gym:

Skip the Gym Coupon

Justification granted!

Hey, everyone should have a guilt-free skip the gym pass in their back pockets, for occasional use. Sometimes, life’s more important.

And look, here’s one for you!

So, instead, we grilled burgers and hung out on the deck.

IMG_3244

And chowed watermelon.

20130412_135617

In Mason’s case, by “chowed,” I mean he alternately sucked on/choked on it. Sighhhh.

Today, I’m kind of glad I skipped that class, because I’m actually still sore from the Body & Sole class on Sunday and I need to keep up with my 10K training this week. Plus, tonight I’m going to my first hot yoga class ever.

I’m pretty pumped about trying hot yoga. I’m generally not a person who’s afraid to be hot (I used to go tanning mostly because I liked laying in a warm bed), and I don’t sweat that much (I actually feel self-conscious about it in group classes sometimes, like “I swear I’m working hard here!”), so hopefully I won’t turn into a puddle immediately and eat my words.

Hot Yoga

In other news, this month’s Fitness mag had an interesting article about common mistakes people make in their diets without realizing it. Usually I’m all “I’ve already heard all this, bla bla bla, back to the cover girl interview,” but this time, there were actually a few surprises.

20130423_145901

Like…

–Overcooking pasta. I think I do this a lot. Apparently, al dente noodles take longer to digest, so you get a steadier stream of energy, rather than the old spike-and-plunge. Who knew! (Probably everyone but me.)

–Picking poultry over beef. As in “I swapped turkey for the beef and you can’t even tell!” Ground turkey often includes dark meat and skin, and can be more caloric than the same amount of ground beef. “Can be” is important there…but I think the bottom line is that we shouldn’t just assume poultry is automatically better than beef.

–Adding hot sauce to everything. Only 5 cals a serving and SO MUCH FLAVAH! But, oh yeah…tons of sodium. Apparently, Tabasco is pretty safe though, at only 35 milligrams of sodium per tsp.

–Dicing veggies into tiny pieces. You’re probably going to add something to the veggies, be it S&P or olive oil or whatever. The smaller you cut them up, the more surface area you’re creating for the other stuff to cling to. But, man, I think we’re splitting hairs here…

Are you cool with the occasional gym pass, or do you feel guilty?

Any hot yoga tips for my first time??

How much would I have to pay you to consume 10 carrot dogs (per the image above)?

Serious question. (Er, sort of. Haha.) Would you do it for $20? You can use one condiment of choice.

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome April 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh I would chow down on carrot dogs! Well… I would probably skip the bun.
Our little guy loves watermelon and sucks it down too! I don’t blame them though, it’s the best!
I’ve never done hot yoga but think I might like it or at least like to try it someday…
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Three Paleo Recieps + Mom of the year award!My Profile

Kim April 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Haha I’m picturing you chowing down carrot dogs, food-eating-competition style. :)

I can’t wait to blog about hot yoga–I just got back and it was QUITE an experience. I hope I don’t turn you off to it…it wasn’t my thing, but I’m still glad I tried it!

lindsey April 24, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I hope you had a good hot yoga experience! My only advice would be to take a large towel with you to cover your mat… hope it went well!

Kim April 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Man, Lindsey, I really wish I would have read your comment about two hours ago! I showed up with nothing but my tiny square towel…such a rookie! Luckily, they had extras. :)

Kim April 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’ve never tried a hot yoga – not sure I would like it because I sweat a ton when I workout!
Funny – I read that same article about the foods. I was happy about the poultry/beef since we actually buy a side of beef every year!! It was a pretty eye-opening article.
Kim recently posted…6:00am Show Time for Surgery – Yikes!!My Profile

Martha April 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm

This gym pass is adorable, and I’m also an advocate of skipping the gym in favor of enjoying some outdoor time when the weather is beautiful! Gotta get that vitamin D!
Good luck on your hot yoga experience – I’m looking forward to reading about it!
Martha recently posted…Out of HibernationMy Profile

Kim April 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

So true! That was probably the first time I’ve hit my daily allotment of D since last October!

Katie @ running4cupcakes April 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I’ll be excited to hear about your hot yoga experience, I have never done it! And no thanks to the carrot hot dog challenge. . . ;) But good tip about cooking pasta – I never knew that!

Kim April 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Ok, ONE carrot hot dog for $20? Just kidding :)

As I write this, I just got back from the hot yoga class, and, not to give too much away, but I’m DEEPLY traumatized. I can’t wait to blog about it.

Amy @ Writing While Running April 24, 2013 at 8:05 am

Aw. What a fun gesture from your gym! Definitely a nice little pass that everyone needs. I don’t feel guilty if I skip the gym as much as I don’t know what to do with myself. Usually I read more blogs or something productive like that :)
Amy @ Writing While Running recently posted…Best. Boyfriend. Ever.My Profile

Kim April 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Haha, so jealous of that problem! :) I can always think of a million things I should be doing, even when I’m doing the things I should be doing!