Soul-mate workouts and how I’m cutting back

by Kim on September 23, 2013

Ahh, I had SUCH a relaxing, low key weekend. Lots of family time and downtime. Exactly what I needed.

20130922_140744Why do his eyes look so crazy here??

Friday night, we rented Now You See Me (have you seen it? pretty good!) and enjoyed a couple of these fine specimens:

20130920_203300 (1)

One of the perks of not being pregnant: the ability to appreciate a good pumpkin beer in the fall.

Saturday kicked off with a trip to the children’s museum.

20130921_114244

Show me a few cars and I’ll show you a happy kid. Every time.

20130921_114404

There was also a food festival going on downtown next to the farmer’s market that I wanted to check out. This is one reason I love this town—we have random stuff like this going on all the time.

Food for Thought

There were “thought tents,” samples, booths, kids’ activities, and chef showdowns.

20130921_121634

Unfortunately, by the time we got there, Mase was hitting the wall napwise, so we basically had to powerwalk the thing and run.

But not before I could snap the obligatory capitol photo.

20130921_121640

The rest of the weekend was spent doing things like grocery shopping for the first time in weeks—yep, weeks (we’ve been surviving on frozen food, takeout, and the occasional emergency shopping trip performed by Brent)—and cleaning the house (also for the first time in weeks).

I feel like a new person, living in a new house with a new refrigerator.

I also did a little reading. I think I mentioned on here that I picked up Chalene Johnson’s Push—fair warning that you might be hearing a lot about it in the coming weeks. I just love everything about it. It’s jam-packed with brilliant information and smart new ways of presenting old ideas—the intro alone gave me like 40 blog post ideas. I also probably have a full-on girl crush on Chalene at this point.

I honestly have to limit the amount I’m allowed to read this book, because it gets me too amped up and take-over-the-world-y. (Not really ideal for a “recovery” weekend…)

Anyway, one concept I love in the book is the idea of finding your “soul-mate workout.” If you don’t love exercise, according to Chalene, it just means you haven’t found your soul-mate workout yet. And when you do, you’ll know, because it’ll have that “new love” feeling.

“Love gives you energy…The world feels new and exciting. New love inspires you to care about yourself, your goals, the impression you’re making on others, your dress, your posture, and even your appearance. Your appetite is distracted by thoughts of planning when you’ll next be together. You feel understood. Where have you been all my life?”

It’s the same with your soul-mate workout.

A lot of people love running that way, which makes other people think they should love running that way. But if you’ve given it a real shot and you still can’t comfortably check off all the things on Chalene’s “how you’ll know” list, it might not be The One.

20130923_071631

I think of running as a gateway workout. Lots of people like to start with it because it’s convenient, free, and “easy” (in the sense that you can just step out your door and start doing it). But it makes me kind of sad when people torture themselves with running, when there are so many other options out there that could actually be more effective simply because you love them more.

You know how you see an infomercial or read a magazine article about someone getting lean/ripped doing XYZ Workout, and you think, “ok, that’s what I need to be doing”? Chalene describes those so-called “perfect” exercise programs as arranged marriages. You can’t just accept what someone else throws at you, or what works for someone else. The best workout for you is the one that you love, and you have to take the time to find that.

I think the closest I’ve come to finding my soul-mate workout is the Yoga Fit class (a pilates/yoga mix, plus some cardio and weights) at that yoga studio I was trying out for a month. I was actually shocked by how much it clicked for me. Before, I was another one of those people who thought she was all about running, but this felt different. I felt I could really get into this.

I was so impressed with that class that I talked to the instructor about how/where she was trained (it was a blend of techniques for her, a lot of it coming from the CorePower studio in Minneapolis). Which led me to discover Beachbody’s PiYo Strength and to get in touch with an instructor about an upcoming training day near Madison…

Oh, wait. I’m supposed to be cutting back.

About that.

So here’s the plan.

First of all, a lot of the stress I’ve been under over the past few months will resolve itself naturally just because we don’t have any travel plans for the foreseeable future. Seriously, I didn’t even realize how hard the traveling has been on me. Lots of planning, packing, unpacking, dealing with Mason in new places or being away from him, being off my regular eating/workout habits, sleeping poorly, etc. All the top ingredients for meltdown.

One thing I’m actively doing is taking a step back from Fit Moms 4 Life. I’m not quitting altogether, but I’ve decided to delay the start of my group until after the holidays. Which I think might actually work better, since a lot of us tend to get a boost of motivation after New Year’s. Plus, it will give me more time to prepare and to recruit participants (which has proven to be trickier than I’d expected).

I still hope to get a job this fall, and while I know that the transition will be crazy stressful at first, I think that having a job will actually help with my stress levels in a couple ways. First, obviously, it will ease some financial stress (which is a big one). Secondly, it’ll force me to get out of my head a little. When you’re home alone with a toddler all day every day, you end up having a lot of time to think, and I’ve been doing waaay too much of that. That’s exactly where some of my anxiety has been coming from—daydreaming and coming up with big, aggressive plans for my future.

So hopefully that’s a good start. I’m not sure if/how the PiYo training thing fits into that (I just felt like having at least one group class certification in my pocket along with my personal training certification might be a good idea). But I’m not diving into anything new just yet.

Have you found your soul-mate workout?

Do you like pumpkin beer?

Favorite fall indulgence?

Is anyone familiar with PiYo/PiYo training and have advice?

char eats greens September 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Is it bad that I was enjoying pumpkin beer last year WHILE pregnant? Ok, they were only sips, but this year, they will be bottles. Totally lushing it up ;).
char eats greens recently posted…ten months oldMy Profile

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Oh, how I wish I could have some pumpkin beer right now! I look forward to pumpkin beer every Fall, but it will have to wait several more months! :)

I’m glad you are able to cut back a little. It is so hard! I struggle with saying no and not taking on too much, but with baby #2 on the way, I’m learning to say no more often!

I love the bit on soul-mate workouts; mine is definitely CrossFit!
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…Double Chocolate Brownie CookiesMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes September 24, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I totally agree that traveling either with or without your toddler is stressful. Take them with you = stress with dealing with a kid in a new location with a new schedule, leave them home = stress from not being there, missing them and stress from leaving them with Dad or Grandparents. .. tough!! On another note, I totally love the idea of a soul mate workout and I wish more people followed that concept instead of continuing to do stuff they don’t love. I love running and bodypump. :)

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food September 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

I have not found my soul mate workout yet… I like to run but I don’t get super excited about it… I just know that in the past running has really helped me get in shape. So that’s why I’m getting back into it.
I really love swimming!!! It’s just harder to find the time right now… School and work take up most of my time.
Someday I will figure it all out!
I saw now you see me… Thought it was a good movie. I’d watch it again!
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend Update 9/22/13My Profile

Kim September 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I definitely know what you mean about your soul-mate workout being inaccessible! That is a problem. Running is often the most convenient thing, but I’d almost always rather be doing a barre or yoga fit class…however: big $$!!

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness September 23, 2013 at 5:32 pm

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I AM SO EXCITED THAT YOU ARE READING PUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVEY LOVE, LOVE LOOOOOOOOVE Chalene Johnson. Seriously love. LOVE!

Okay, now that I got that out of my system…. (yikes, Rachel…)

PiYo and all Powder Blue (I guess it’s now Beachbody) formats can be customized to your level. They even teach you at the instructor trainings how to modify – AND you have the option of JUST going pro. You don’t have to take the full teacher training. If you go pro, you can just do what you are comfortable with in the training and then you’re able to buy the instructor DVD’s and do them with any modifications you have to make. I think they sell ‘Fan’ DVD’s too on the website – look on TurboKick.com I think.
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Setting Goals Apart from RunningMy Profile

Kim September 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm

LOL you’re hilarious. :) But I’ll probably sound the same way when I get done, judging by how I feel about the first few chapters!

I didn’t even know about the pro option! I’ll have to look into all that. Thanks!!

Lisa September 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I think it’s great that you’re listening to your body and taking a step back.

Julie September 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

So, I think anti-gravity Pilates was my “soul mate workout.” But I left the Pilates studio and joined a gym last spring, because I felt like I needed more variety – rather than being tied to certain workout class times, I could go whenever and have a ton of machines available to me. Now that I think about it, though, I often end up dragging myself to the gym – whereas I enjoyed going to Pilates. Hmm, I’m going to have to think about this one and what it means for my workouts moving forward. I’ll definitely need to look into that book, too!
Julie recently posted…Savvy Cookbooks: Slow Cooker Revolution (+ Slow-Cooker Pho)My Profile

Kim September 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I’ve never tried anti-gravity Pilates!! Still kinda new around here. But I’m sure I’d love it.

It’s amazing how much more you can/will do when you actually WANT to do it. And, really, that consistency is the most important thing.

I think my ideal scenario would be to belong to a yoga studio and then supplement with running and home workouts. (Currently, the studio part isn’t in the picture only because of $$.) I quit my gym because I felt like I was getting enough variety at home, with just basic weights, a treadmill, a stability ball, and a bunch of workout videos. (Plus, I was constantly skipping the gym to do something at home instead.) And that’s all good, but I still miss the variety and peer pressure of live classes. :)

Hope you find a mix you love! :)

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m glad that you’re listening to your body and taking a step back. I’m job searching and home by myself all day while my husband’s at work too, so I know how easy it is to get inside of your head. I need a job also, and I’m praying that you find one too!

I read your last post, and I’m so sorry for your loss <3. You're so brave for being honest and sharing your story!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…Hello FallMy Profile

Kim September 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Thanks Emily! Praying for your job hunt too!!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome September 23, 2013 at 9:13 am

I think it’s great you’re taking some steps to cut back but I know how hard that can be. Especially when it comes to fitness.
I have only tried a few sips of pumpkin beer and didn’t love it but would like to try another flavor. I love pumpkin and think I just need to find the right one.
I’ve taken a PiYo class when they used to offer it at my gym and LOVED it! I wish they still had it and am thinking about making the 20 minute drive weekly to another gym so I can take it. It’s more fast paced yoga and much I don’t get as bored as I do in the typical yoga class. I need to find that book! Sounds motivating!

Kim September 23, 2013 at 9:00 am

Chalean uses that phrase in Turbo Fire a lot – “you’ve found your soul-mate workout”. I’ve had a bit of a girl-crush on her ever since I started doing her workouts – I love her energy and drive!!
Kim recently posted…WooHoo!! It’s My SITS Day!!!My Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 23, 2013 at 8:58 am

We rented Now You See Me this weekend too! I really liked it!

Sounds you have a great plan in place! Praying for you! xo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…This Weekend Was Just What I NeededMy Profile