Summer menu: must-make salads

by Kim on June 21, 2013

I feel like I’m way off my game this week. I have a couple of big things on my mind that are sapping up all of my brain space, and I just haven’t felt very inspired to write.

So, for your sake, I’ve been resisting the urge to come on here and write a bunch of junk you don’t care about. Like, I have not publicly lamented the fact that these exist:

20130619_131711

What?? Why?

I didn’t tell you about the new-to-us local library Mase and I checked out the other day.

20130620_122236

It was impressive. And I picked up a few fitness books—one on yoga and one on running—that I’ll have to tell you about once I get through them.

I also neglected to share the fact that my son’s a child prodigy.

20130620_122030

20130620_122049

Just kidding. That was clearly rigged.

But what I have had room in my brain for lately is mindless Pinterest browsing. Specifically, of the food variety.

I’ve found so many amazing summery recipes that I swear—I swear—this time I will actually make, rather than pin and forget.

For whatever reason, when I get into the summer food mindset, I’m particularly attracted to salads. So here’s my summer salad gotta-try-it list.

Summer Salad List

Bacon and Pea Mac & Cheese

I actually already made this and it was amazing. No milk or butter, same creamy taste. (Plus BACON.)

fd7cd353317a36c024df787e4ed1d7c2

Spicy Pasta Salad with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes, and Basil

I’ve made this too—it was actually kind of my go-to salad last summer. It’s so good that it honestly might earn the same title this year.

9970c79bc26154c69ca93b9264e53109

Three-bean salad with gouda

I guess I’m just really into gouda.

e78140264598ae1f34225ea3274907ac

Cucumber ranch salad

A little twist on the ol’ favorite.

62b9487dc4bce4b2992fcbcb95a70c01

Honey Chicken Salad with Grapes

I don’t want to admit how long ago I originally pinned this and still haven’t made it. THIS TIME.

bba216dfba25009c99636133782c5129

Corn and chickpea fiesta salad

This just looks so refreshing to me. Similar to cowboy caviar (which I love) but with a little more girth.

Secret fruit salad

The secret is vanilla pudding mix.

My friend Allison makes a similar salad of fruit + white chocolate chips that gives a similar sweet/glazed effect. Amaaaazing.

a9e0877225397a7930a666dffdd6749e

Cold Lemon Pasta Salad

I always forget about lemon. That needs to stop.

af75db895469f89d76835c02d1a5e0e9

Couscous summer salad

This one combines Italian dressing and balsamic. I’m curious…

f95cf22307ece13f291ecdfd38e63d92

Do you have a go-to summer salad recipe?

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 23, 2013 at 8:51 am

I have to try that fruit/pudding salad – looks interesting and delicious!! My favorite summer salad is this mayo free honey roasted chicken salad recipe: http://pinterest.com/pin/55802482853067056/
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Summer 2013 to-do listMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Love Summer salads! I used to always make a corn salad with cherry tomatoes, avocado, mozz balls, and a cilantro lime dressing. Always a hit! Now though we don’t really eat much corn so I’ve been making a strawberry spinach or massaged kale salad. Made one last night for a bbq and it was good!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Fitness Friday – What drives your fitness?My Profile

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples June 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I’ve seriously yet to make a recipe I find on Pinterest – how sad is that?! I find a million but then I somehow never get around to making them! This summer it’s gonna happen lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted…Channing Tatum Talks Psychotropic DrugsMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate June 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I have been eyeing up that secret fruit salad on Pinterest for quite some time now! Just waiting for a cookout as an excuse to make it :)
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Peanut Butter Protein BitesMy Profile

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run June 21, 2013 at 11:56 am

I just repinned nearly every one of those – they all look delicious!
Kristin @ A Mom on the Run recently posted…Pre-School GraduationMy Profile

jan June 21, 2013 at 11:26 am

Wow, the library area is great! Impressive! Love the fridge magnets. We have those but I keep forgetting to get them out.
jan recently posted…Feeling GreatMy Profile

Kim June 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

So many of these salads look great – love salad in the summer! I pinned this so I can try some soon!
And, watermelon Oreos?! I don’t like regular Oreos but I might have to try those!!
Kim recently posted…Choices and Why I Work out First thingMy Profile

Presley @ Run Pretty June 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

My grandma makes the fruit/pudding salad. Addictive. I want that spicy pasta salad. I’m down with the Gouda as well. haha
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Should I Quit the Coffee?My Profile