Surprise benefits of letting go

by Kim on December 10, 2014

Hey! Wow, things have been a little quiet around here. I’m not stressing about it, because, well, THIS…but I wanted to stop in and drop a quick what’s up. (Who talks like that? No one. Absolutely no one says that.)

I feel like a bunch of random Life Things are coming to a head at the same time (like that last-minute magazine article offer—I submitted my piece yesterday!—and my BodyFlow video—I’m taping Friday, YIKES).

Plus, it’s two weeks before Christmas and three before the end of the year…raise your hand if you’re super motivated right now! I’m actually amazed we found the energy to get the tree up…

IMG_6719 (2)

I know a lot of healthy living blogs are like “don’t lose momentum! Power through the end of the year! Gaaah!”

But I think there’s a natural lull in life around this time of year for a reason. Some of us are better at slowing down than others, but we all need breaks. I’m not talking about browsing Pinterest for 10 minutes before bed—I mean a real, legit, shut-it-all-down BREAK.

Letting go can be very healthy. Case in point: remember when I was talking about postpartum weight loss and how it’s all about eating MORE, not less? Well, I accidentally proved my own point.

You’re going to hate me for this, but I think it’s important to share…over Thanksgiving, I ate piles and piles of food. I ate pie, I ate sweet potatoes with marshmallows, I drank sugary coffee drinks. I didn’t hold back in the slightest.

And I lost 5 pounds.

I was shocked. I actually stood there and stared at the scale for awhile. Even the second number was too low. (And it wasn’t “just water”—a week later, it’s actually even lower.)

After months of trying to watch what I ate, and even after the 10-day sugar challenge (which only got me down 3 pounds, rounding up), the thing that finally worked was—well, it was time—but also, it was letting go, completely.

Now, hold on. I’m not saying that swimming in sugar is the key to weight loss. My situation is specific to postpartum weight loss—I still had baby fat to lose, and all I had to do was convince my body that it didn’t need it anymore.

But I do think there are other lessons here. For example, stress is a huge roadblock to weight loss—maybe even the #1 roadblock. If letting go means letting go of stress, you could definitely see weight loss, regardless of diet.

So here’s to chilling out and enjoying the holiday season. January 1 will be here before we know it.

xo

P.S. I completely forgot to show you a picture of my new short haircut!

Here’s one I got over the weekend for my magazine headshot…

KimKruegerHeadshot

(I know: who talks about “magazine headshots” like that’s a thing? I just wanted to explain why I look so uncharacteristically put together, and clearly computer air-brushed. Haha.)

Hope you’re having a great week!

Jade December 12, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I remember this principle from my first post pregnancy. I was watching what I ate and working out crazy but nothing budging. Then Christmas came around and I indulged. And I was lighter because of it. I’m not being strict like last time plus I don’t have a lot of time to work out still so I’m trying to let go but it’s so very hard when a lot of post partum ladies have lost all of it and then more but I have to remind myself that my post partum weight loss takes time.

char eats greens December 11, 2014 at 12:41 pm

That’s totally awesome for you. I bet those sweet potatoes, pie, and drinks are smiling from your stomach (or at least if I were them, I would be!). I think letting go is a very important lesson that we all need to learn to do, and I totally believe that’s why your body did what it did, too! Woohoo! And you have one smoking hot headshot!
char eats greens recently posted…Five Tips for Buying Eco- and Enviro-friendly Kids Gifts This HolidayMy Profile

Jen@jpabstfitness December 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I learned to let go a long time ago, counting calories and worrying about every stupid thing I was eating led to a really sad and depressing life. I’m a Diabetic, so I do have to pay attention to some things I’m eating, but not religiously counting everything like I used to has helped immensely.

Beautiful Christmas tree by the way :)
Jen@jpabstfitness recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday {1}My Profile

Giselle December 10, 2014 at 10:56 pm

It’s so important to pay attention to what stress can do to our bodies. You know I’ve had my fair share of experience with allowing stress to get the best of me but I’m finally learning to let go. Good luck with your video shoot and can’t wait to read the article!
Giselle recently posted…WIAW – Chocolate Peppermint Jello JigglersMy Profile

Alysia @ Slim Sanity December 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Sometimes you need to get rid of the stress of trying to lose pounds and just let it happen!

Love the new haircut!!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Healthy Sweet Potato FriesMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I’m so glad you addressed this! I couldn’t agree more with you. Stress takes a toll on us and can definitely impede on our goals in more ways than we might think. I’ve learned this numerous times in my life, but I still continue to fight stress and anxiety! You’d think I’d have learned by now… ;) I’m definitely trying to use this holiday season to intentionally slow down and give my mind and body a little BREAK. I know it needs it!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Family Photos 2014 + Other Random StuffMy Profile

Lizzie @ The Magic Tree December 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Just found your “let’s stop apologizing” post through this one. So well said!
Lizzie @ The Magic Tree recently posted…Trusting Your GutMy Profile

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine December 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

One of my blogger friends wrote a great post about how we biologically ARE supposed to slow down during the winter season! We should all be savoring this time!
(P.S. You are so pretty! XOXO)
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Roasted Sweet Vanilla Pecan ButterMy Profile

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West December 10, 2014 at 10:51 am

We’ve missed you, but know that life away from the computer comes first. You look great and healthy, so I hope you feel good too. Good luck with the video shoot this Friday! I’ll be thinking about you. Kia Kaha!
Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Eating, napping and eating againMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 10, 2014 at 10:49 am

I used to count calories like it was my job and didn’t lose a pound! When I stopped…bam! 5 pounds lost! Super cute haircut by the way- I am thinking about chopping mine to a similar length!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Butterscotch CookiesMy Profile