Tailgating and the hair emergency

by Kim on November 18, 2013

Hello friends!

This weekend was a fun one. My company hosted its annual company/client college football tailgate party, which also included tickets to the Wisconsin/Indiana game. It rained like crazy, but we still had a blast.

065

063

The food was excellent…

IMG_3917

As were the drinks (I had a few amaaazing Bloody Mary’s)…

IMG_3901

We brought Mason for part of the tailgate party, before sending him home for a nap (my bro came over to babysit while we went to the game). He took one look at the wide open space inside the giant tent and declared it heaven.

IMG_3899

He also met an older woman… (!)

IMG_3908

The two of them had so much fun chasing each other around (in the rain). She kept yelling “This way, baby! Chase me, baby!” Haha! So cute.

Yesterday involved a little recovery time for me. Turns out I’m not in college anymore, folks. (But when you’re new at a company, trying to make a good impression, and everyone around you takes a group shot, do you turn it down?? No, you do not.)

I’m really shocked that I somehow made it through a good NASM study sesh, despite being totally drained and glued to the couch most of the day. (Only 4 more weeks to Exam Day–WHAT!? So. Not. Ready.)

Here’s something else that happened yesterday:

IMG_3919

I know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but whatever. It’s just a few things, ok?

IMG_3920

I’d happily put our tree up right now if that didn’t seem to be frowned upon by society. (Or maybe it’s just frowned upon by my husband?)

Oh, did I tell you about Mase’s haircut debacle?

20131111_102643

I’ve cut his hair myself a few times now, and was getting pretty confident…until I decided to give the razor method a shot. Apparently, this was way too much power in my hands.

I cannot (CAN. NOT.) explain how it happened, but I somehow managed a TV-sitcom-worthy “slip” that resulted in a gaping near-bald spot right on the back of the poor kid’s head. I tried so hard to blame other things–the stupid razor, the way he refused to put his head down–but the reality is that it was all me.

Luckily, my friend is a hair stylist and was kind enough to rush over in response to a text message that included the words “HAIR EMERGENCY.” I begged her not to laugh. She couldn’t help it.

Anyway, he now has a SUPER-short borderline-military cut, but the “bald” spot is relatively hidden. Plus, it’s been less than a week and I can already see how much it’s grown back.

He’s still a little embarrassed about it, though, poor kid.

IMG_3934

Here’s his latest trick, by the way: triggering the water dispenser on the fridge, so he gets a spray to the eye.

IMG_3939

He still acts shocked when it happens, every time.

By the end of the day yesterday, after not working out all weekend, my legs were getting The Itch. (Know what I mean?) I wasn’t in the mood for a run or anything full-body, so I opted for a few leg-targeting videos.

First up: the Fitnessista’s Barre Burner. I loooove barre workouts and eat them up when I find them online. This one’s pretty short, though, and I wanted to really annihilate the Leg Itch, so afterwards, I moved on to this legs/thighs Blogilates workout.

Have you tried Blogilates yet? I’m officially a fan. Cassey has an insane amount of in-home bodyweight workout videos on her blog, along with workout calendars, recipes, meal plans, and cool printables. You can seriously get lost for hours on that site.

Plus, she has a really sweet, positive personality that (kind of) helps you forget that your body is on fire during her workouts. During the leg/thigh burner, she casually talked about fall fashion while plie-squatting a bazillion times. Ha!

Here’s to a great week!

Parents: do you cut your kids’ hair yourself?

Favorite place to go online for exercise videos?

I like bodyrock.tv and yoga download, in addition to blogs, of course!

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food November 19, 2013 at 11:24 am

OMG I love your Christmas decorations…. My husband doesn’t know it yet but today I am cleaning and putting up the Christmas decorations!! I just love Christmas so much I dont care that it isn’t Thanksgiving yet… Its happening :)
Thanks for sharing about blogilates…. I’m checking that out today also!

Ali November 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

I’m impressed that you cut his hair! I would be way too scared to cut Aiden’s.
Ali recently posted…The Thankful Project – An AnnoyanceMy Profile

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

Obviously I should have been more scared, haha. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome November 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Haha! The Love Nugget has been doing the same thing with the water on the fridge lately! It’s hilarious that he is so surprised every time!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…MIMM – Exciting news!My Profile

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

Oh funny! Yeah, I thought if I just let him do it a few times, he would understand what happened and lose interest. Nope! :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes November 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

OMG I can’t believe that you cut Mason’s hair! I would never even attempt it with Luke! But I am totally not talented when it comes to hair cutting and I don’t have a friend that could help in a hair emergency!! :) Glad it all worked out.

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:19 am

Yes, you need to have a friend on-call just in case, haha. :) For some reason I’m committed to learning how to do it myself–I think mostly out of laziness/wanting to avoid trips to a salon. Plus, at home, we position him in front of the TV so he can watch mickey mouse and stay quiet while I’m doing it! :)

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness November 18, 2013 at 12:26 pm

OH NO!!!!! I’ve totally done that to my kid. Thank goodness for hair stylist friends!!!! And I LOVE that Barre Burner workout – holy crap Fitnessista kicks your butt in like 10 minutes (if even that long?) Love Blogilates too – she’s my go-to workout person on rest days. Do you have her app? (well, do you have an iphone?) She’s got ALL of her workouts on there – it’s amazeballs.
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…The Fucking ProwlerMy Profile

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

I don’t have her app–or an iPhone, actually, but I think she has an android version of it available now too!

Kim November 18, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Tailgating sounds fun!!
I never cut our boys hair but my husband used to – not always with the best results but…
And, I remember when my youngest discovered the water dispenser – he didn’t just want to get a little spray – he would stretch his body to the max and just hold it down until I happened to walk into a complete mess – good times!!!
Kim recently posted…Resistance Bands or Weights?My Profile

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hahaha! I guess I’m lucky Mason still stops right away once he gets that initial spray!

Amanda November 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I LOVE Blogilates! Cassie is great, and I love that I don’t need equipment to do her workouts.

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

Very cool that you’ve tried her workouts!

Elizabeth November 18, 2013 at 11:59 am

You’ve got to try fitness blender! There are tons of workouts of every style!

Kim November 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

Oh yeah! Forgot about those guys! It’s been awhile, but I have tried their stuff. Man, I really need to sit down and write a list of all the great options out there. SOO many!