The beginning of the end + group exercise update

by Kim on October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween! We’re a costume-less family this year (Mason is one of those quirky toddlers who hates dressing up) so I threw an orange onesie on Josh, put my eyeliner on a little heavier, and called it a day.

20141031_090658

A sleeping baby + a cup of coffee + the Today Show’s Halloween special = perfect Friday morning.

Well, perfect except for one thing: we woke up to white stuff on the ground today. Snow on Halloween is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

It doesn’t help that I encountered this sign yesterday:

20141030_104414

This apparel store must have just gotten its winter stock in. But that sign is just mean. #toosoon

At least Josh and his WAY-too-big snowsuit are ready.

20141029_171356

Picture his feet ending around the knee point, haha. I figured with the length of our winters around here, he’ll probably have time to grow 2 full sizes by the end of it.

In other news, I team-taught BodyFlow again last night and it went about a thousand times better. I was able to not freak out quite so much about the mic, which allowed me to actually start on time (I learned that I could set everyone up into the first position while putting the mic on—huge difference), and just getting off on the right foot made all the difference. I didn’t miss a cue or stutter, and I even remembered the names of basic body parts! (No more “place your arm…elbow…hand…what is this thing??”)

But I think there’s one thing that probably contributed the most to the improvement:

My new non-skating-rink mat!

20141030_140201

After last class, I swore that I’d never step foot into a studio with my old yoga mat again. It was a pretty cheap mat to begin with, but then I used it outside all summer, and the elements were hard on it. Any grip it used to have was long gone, and while I could sort of get away with using it as a class participant, I couldn’t handle the distracting slippage while on stage trying to teach.

The Lululemon mat is not the cheapest thing in the world, but after just one use, I’m already SO glad I went for it. I won’t bore you with a full breakdown of its features and qualities…let’s just say: WOW.

Back to BodyFlow: honestly the only thing I’m still struggling with is direction. Since there’s a lot of working one side of the body and then the other, or turning one way and then the other, it’s hard to remember which side to start on and which side we did last. Ugh! It’s one of those things that seems so simple until you’re up in front of a group of people.

I’m also still getting comfortable with the direction swapping thing—since I’m facing the participants, my right is their left, and I have to say “go left” while I’m going right. I’ve heard a bunch of different tricks for dealing with this—from wearing a bracelet on a certain hand, to remembering that the hand with your wedding Ring is the Right—but I think it just takes plain old practice and time.

Welp, I’m off to listen to another session from the Weight Loss for Women Online Conference (I think I’ll check out How Gluten Affects Weight Loss – watch it by the end of today, before it expires, if you’re interested!) and hang out with my littlest dude before we have to pick up his big bro from preschool.

20141029_154330

I know I’m spoiling him, letting him sleep on me all the time, but I just. Can’t. Help it.

Have a great weekend!

Special extremely selfish request: If you have kids in cute costumes today, you can make my day by posting a picture on Instagram and then following me, so I can follow you back and like the crap out of it. Since my kid won’t participate, you’re all I’ve got! I’ll be on a costume pic liking spree alllllll day.

xo

Chloe - A Latte Lipstick November 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Sweetest little snow bunny! Just found your blog and excited to explore!

XO Chloe
A Latte Lipstick

Kim November 4, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Chloe! Welcome! :)

Giselle November 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm

So glad to hear your teaching went better! Although I’m sure your first class was great too :-) I need a new yoga mat so bad! I was at Lulu today eyeing their mats but couldn’t drop the $$$. I don’t know why I’m able to purchase clothing there without batting an eyelash but a yoga mat is such a struggle to fork out the dough for!
Hope you had a great Halloween!
Giselle recently posted…October RecapMy Profile

char eats greens October 31, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I LOVE the mat!! I’ve had it for 4 years (no turning back to crap mats again ever–good thing it has a life-time guarantee!!). I’m pretty much a bad parent if that makes you feel better. Nia didn’t go out this year for Halloween because of me. It was just too much with getting back into town by 7pm which is well past the respected time for toddlers to go out anyways (<–justifying much??). I'm glad your class went much better!!
char eats greens recently posted…featured on fridayMy Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West October 31, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hi Kim! So glad your team teaching went better. It does get easier to distinguish YOUR right from your MEMBER’S right when teaching ehehe. And I have one of those Lululemon mats too – it’s such high quality. I wish I could see a bunch of kiddos in costume this year, but don’t expect any around the streets of San Francisco. So I’ll be looking for photos too. Happy Friday!
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: Shopping, events and a bookMy Profile

Marielle October 31, 2014 at 3:52 pm

oh my gosh, I’m in serious need of a new yoga mat!! I used it when I taught boot camp classes outside and it just looks gross. One of these days I’ll splurge on a new one and won’t be so embarrassed when I bring it in public! :)
Marielle recently posted…14 Weeks Pregnancy UpdateMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 31, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I can’t believe I woke up to snow today. I wouldn’t be too sad if my kid didn’t want to dress up today…its freezing out!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Spooky Halloween WorkoutMy Profile

Alysia @ Slim Sanity October 31, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I really need a yoga mat! I don’t have one :(
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Garlic Roasted Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

Katie October 31, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Yes you do! If you aren’t a regular yogi a cheap mat is fine, but if you’re on the mat frequently, its definitely worth the investment!
Katie recently posted…October 2014 RecapMy Profile