The great green smoothie fail

by Kim on March 17, 2014

You probably won’t believe me, but I swear I didn’t even mean to wear green today.

green

Pure coincidence.

When I got into work and saw all my greenified coworkers, including a guy in a full kilt, I just pretended to be on my game. Erin go bragh! Etc. etc.

I was thinking about St. Patty’s day yesterday though–like so many of my fellow bloggers, I thought it was the perfect occasion to drink a green smoothie (I mean, in lieu of beer).

I’ve been wanting to try Kimberly Snyder‘s Glowing Green Smoothie ever since I started listening to her podcast and hearing her reference something called “GGS.” This is a super suuuuper green-filled smoothie designed to perk up your skin, boost energy, aid in weight loss, etc.

smoothie

I’ve been on the hunt for a nutrient-dense breakfast substitute lately, mainly because I’m not that impressed with my current sugar-loaded granola and almond milk habit. And my skin could really use some perking up. I’d love to go back to drinking Shakeology, but the $$ is pretty daunting.

Anyway, Kimberly’s concoction has gotten rave reviews on the internet over the past few years, so I had to find out what it was all about. I was a little skeptical about the ingredients–I mean, an ENTIRE HEAD of Romaine, 3-4 stalks of celery, cilantro, AND parsley? How could a few measly fruits cover up all that potent green taste?

Well…it didn’t.

To be clear, I wasn’t coming into this expecting the thing to taste like a mint milkshake. Since I was mostly interested in the health benefits, I was willing to put up with less-than-stellar flavor just to get the nutrition.

But guys…I seriously could not even choke it down. First of all, it was the consistency of pesto, with gritty little pieces of green things that get stuck in your teeth. Then, mine ended up tasting like pure cilantro, even after I added a second banana AND some orange juice. (One possible problem is that the recipe was pretty vague about amounts…I mean, “1/3 bunch”?).

So now I have a freezer lined with Cilantro Bombs I don’t know if I’ll ever drink:

green1

Optimism tells me that I might be able to doctor them up somehow (milk? honey? berries?), but Reality tells me that I’ll be too scared to try. Help!

This version from Anne at Fannetastic Food looks about 1000 times better–and let me just take a moment to say MAJOR UPS to Anne for using sweetened vanilla almond milk, which is clearly the best kind. I get so tired of bloggers calling for unsweetened in their recipes. Stop being so perfect! Haha.

While we’re on the green train: I also recommend Jess from Blonde Ponytail’s Lucky 7’s workout. Because you can’t look me in the eye and tell me you don’t love a good themed workout.

In an attempt to recover from my smoothie experiment, I tried making Mason a much-less-green smoothie of coconut milk, spinach, and frozen berries. He refused it, as he tends to do, but looked pretty cute in the process anyway.

mase

I WILL get this kid to eat veggies. I WILL get this kid to eat veggies.

I even roasted some sweet potatoes and apples in oil and cinnamon (DELICIOUS) but they were met with the same fate. Rejected by the Pickiest Kid on Earth (Who Can’t Eat That Many Foods to Begin With).

potatoes

The liquid multivitamin I’ve been giving him lately makes me feel a teeny, tiny bit better. I mean, kid needs to get SOME nutrition or I’ll have to rename my whole blog. (Haha–convenient that I’m doing that anyway.)

Well, better get back to it–Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

The big Q: how the heck do you get picky kids to eat veggies?

Eaten/done anything green today?

K

Jess @dearhealthyness March 20, 2014 at 8:17 am

I don’t have a kid, but I have a nephew and what I usually do is sing with him while eating veggies. Sometimes he will say: I don’t like this, but then I keep smiling, while chewing spinach and singing popeyes song, so he’ll eat spinach too ;)
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Burn Your LegsMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 18, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Yikes, that smoothie sounds pretty horrid, I won’t lie! As much as I love cilantro, I just don’t think it belongs in a smoothie. Major props on trying it!

I’m with you on your big Q of the day… Fortunately, Hunter will usually drink green smoothies, but that’s about the extent of green I can get down him. Any tips or tricks are welcome! What sorts of things does Mason eat each day? I need more ideas for picky eaters!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Now What?My Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I always wonder if he would eat more veggies if I could put butter on them. He eats a lot of fruit, beans, and meat (still mostly soft stuff like chicken sausage and kielbasa sausage). Also some gluten/dairy-free alternatives to things like mac & cheese (I get Amy’s frozen), pasta with spaghetti sauce, and PBJ (sunbutter and jelly on g-free bread). He also loves things like veggie straws and sweet potato chips, but I don’t think those really count as veggies. :) I’m not that proud of his diet, just because there are so many things I’d love to serve him if only he’d touch them (or could eat them)! But there’s only so much you can do. :)

emma @ be mom strong March 18, 2014 at 5:43 am

I am forever doing this with smoothies!!! Here’s my tip- just keep adding almond butter until it tastes better!
emma @ be mom strong recently posted…NYC Half RecapMy Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Good idea! I wonder if that would help with the texture at all too?

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome March 17, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Sweet potatoes, apples and cinnamon are my favorite! Ugh, how I wish we had an oven right now so I could roast some. Those topped with sunbutter are my favorite post workout snack. Maybe Mason would like them that way?
I forgot about St. Patrick’s Day as well. I didn’t even wear green! Oops!
Definitely try doctoring the green smoothie up! Bummer it was a fail!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…MIMM – My First Stitch Fix!My Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Ooh, adding sunbutter sounds awesome! I’m pretty confident he’d like them either way, he just won’t TRY them. I’m going to just keep throwing them in front of him and see if he ever warms up to them. :)

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate March 17, 2014 at 7:45 pm

“I get so tired of bloggers calling for unsweetened in their recipes. Stop being so perfect! Haha.” Favorite quote from your blog today…hahaha. I love Shakeology too…but agree with the $! P.S. Your baby bump is adorable!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Vegas Recap Day 1 & 2My Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Haha it seriously made my day to see someone using sweetened. It’s SO GOOD!

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food March 17, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Well I don’t have any kids so I can’t give you any tips :( I bet if you left out the cilantro it would be way better! Cilantro can be very flavorful. My parents did the thats all you get to eat route so I always ate my veggies. I was never very picky though so it made their job easier.
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend Happenings 3.16.14My Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm

That’s probably true. Initially, I told myself I’d try to standard way first before doing any tweaking to the recipe, but now I kind of regret that!

Julie March 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Bummer about the smoothie! You say it has a pesto-like consistency…could you actually use it as pesto, instead of as a smoothie?
Julie recently posted…Brain Food 101: How to Store SconesMy Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Haha interesting idea! I guess I could, but there’s still the problem that it tastes horrifyingly bad. :)

Julie March 18, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, then I guess that suggestion isn’t as helpful :)
Julie recently posted…Brain Food 101: How to Store SconesMy Profile

Kim March 19, 2014 at 10:46 am

I still appreciate it!! :)

Caroline March 17, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That’s one thing I don’t like about smoothies- all the little bits that get stuck in my teeth!
Caroline recently posted…I PASSED!!! {Clinical Mental Health Counseling Exam}My Profile

Kim March 18, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m definitely used to smoother smoothies. Thus the name smoothie right?? :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes March 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm

oh man, getting the kiddo to eat veggies. I make fruit smoothies with spinach only in it, and he seems to like the green color and it doesn’t taste any different. He also LOVES frozen peas – such a strange thing, right? And can I come over and eat those sweet potatoes if Mason isn’t, they look amazing!

Kim March 17, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I know, I couldn’t believe he wouldn’t go for them!! My issue is more about getting him to TRY things…it’s so frustrating when I’m confident he’ll like them if he would just let one bite in!

That’s awesome Luke likes peas!! Ha, I would never think to freeze them. But of course, my son’s allergic to those too. :)

Katie March 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm

As a kid I always needed a dip. Thankfully greek yogurt can be made sweet or savory (the dips I had as a kid were junk, but at least I know better now!).
Katie recently posted…Growth in the Best WayMy Profile