The only place to buy flowers and a fun new activewear line

by Kim on February 28, 2014

This was one of those weird weeks that dragged on and on–until I got to the end of it and was like, “woah! Where’d that week go?” I can’t explain this, other than by blaming the hamster wheel situation I mentioned yesterday.

On tap for the weekend: Brent’s out of town, so my mom is coming into to town to keep me company and spend time with her grandson. I’m going to show her a great time by staying inside all weekend long (it’s still negative a billion degrees out) doing next to nothing. Can’t wait!

Here are a few highlights from the week…

20140227_201013Could not resist grabbing these gorgeous roses from TJ’s for…wait for it…$3.99! I made Brent promise he’d never buy me flowers from anywhere else.

I’ve also secretly always wanted to use those little flower-carrying cones you clip on the side of your cart. Unexpected hiccup: Trader Joe’s is really, really small, so I was constantly worried that someone was going to knock my flowers off. (Pretty sure I’ve never actually used the phrase “knock my flowers off” before. I like it.)

In other grocery shopping news, my favorite grocery store ever (besides TJ’s of course) just opened within a half mile of our house–which is HUGE. I used to go way out out of my way to hit the closest one (driving past other, lesser grocery stores on the way), but now it’s right up the road. AND right next to a Super Target–talk about a power couple.

(The fact that that’s a highlight of my week is probably a little too revealing of the excitement level of my life right now, but oh well.)

One sweet thing about the new store: it has this massive self-serve spice and oil station.

20140227_204954

I’ve never gotten into trying different oils or making my own spice blends (for convenience–not like I’d be inventing new ones), but now that I can grab tiny samples, that might just change. Any suggestions?

Definitely a highlight: an unexpected note in the mail from a sweet blend, Heather.

20140227_182836

Snail mail is just so much more personal and meaningful. Made my day!

My lunch today:

20140228_121527

TJ’s chicken sausage (I buy 4 packs at a time these days…), hard-boiled eggs, mini toms, goat cheese, and spinach (this was pre-mix, so the spinach is mostly buried, but trust me, there’s plenty of it down there!). Typically, when I put goat cheese on a salad, I never feel like I get enough of it…yeah, I think I might have overcompensated this time. Definitely went a little goat cheese happy.

A couple things I enjoyed reading this week:

You are not diminished by others’ success

Why the “non-GMO” label is organic’s frenemy

How many extra calories treadmill inclines really burn

Bone broth: a how to for health

5 untraditional ways to expedite fat loss

Making exercise a habit

Why I learned to love to plank

Did you hear that Anthropologie joined the activewear clothing world? Here’s a taste of what they’re offering:

anthro

(P.S. In the pic on the far left, that’s leggings with a little skirt, not a long belted top.)

I’m not running to the store or anything, but I do love admiring new fitness clothes. And I especially love how many apparel companies are getting into the fitness mix these days, with totally unique tastes.

Where do you like to shop for groceries?

Do you ever choose snail mail over email?

What do you think of the new Anthro line?

Have a good weekend!

xoxo K

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food March 2, 2014 at 12:40 am

I live in a lovely city that has every grocery store you could possibly want! Super Target, Rainbow and TJs are my favorites. We also have Cub, Sams and Kowalskis. I really love the 18 yr aged balsamic and the Pomegranate Balsamic if your store has those get them! I like to mix equal parts EVOO, balsamic and pom balsamic, a splash of honey, a tbsp of mustard and some Herbs de Provance seasoning. Blend together for an AMAZING dressing!!!

Glad you clarified about the first pic…. I totally thought it was a long shirt and pants :)
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday 6My Profile

Emily @ More Than Just Dessert March 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Favorite place to shop for groceries is HyVee or TJ’s!! We grew up with HyVee in Iowa so even though there isn’t one close to where I live in Madtown, I venture out there from time to time for a little piece of “home”. :) Its weird how happy it makes me to just be in there?! haha
Emily @ More Than Just Dessert recently posted…Smoothies By Amy #2: Pomegranate Berry SmoothieMy Profile

Carrie February 28, 2014 at 9:27 pm

TJ’s does have the best flowers hands down! I go there and Whole Foods usually.
Carrie recently posted…Five Things FridayMy Profile

Danielle February 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Snail mail makes me so happy! I’ve been trying to send more recently, because I know how much I enjoy getting something fun in the mail (especially if it’s from Heather!).

I agree on the TJ’s flowers. They are amazing, and you can’t beat the price! I’ve been keeping fresh flowers in the house this winter as a little dose of happiness.
Danielle recently posted…Favorite Twin Cities Kid Spots: Cold Weather EditionMy Profile

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) February 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hey, thanks for including my link!

As for Anthro, I’m a total sucker for anything they put out! If money were no object, I’d own it all! Well, once I have this baby and can fit into clothes again ;)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted…CurrentlyMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 28, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Thanks for the link love girl! Lots of other great reads there too.

I SO wish we had a TJ’s closer… I think I say that every time I see other bloggers’ purchases there. So great that you got beautiful roses for $3.99!

The new fitness line by Anthro looks cute, but I have a feeling it’s WAY outside my price range!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Bits & Pieces of Ashley: Making Exercise A HabitMy Profile

Kim February 28, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Oh mine too, I’m positive. I like to look but not touch. :) :)

Sorry to keep rubbing TJ’s in your face all the time, I’m such a jerk!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 28, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Wow! I’m impressed with the Super Target! That’s awesome! As is the flower deal at TJ’s. I might have to make a stop there tomorrow :-) I usually do my shopping at Sprouts and Costco but also end up at Whole Foods once a week. Can’t go a week without a visit! Hope you have a great weekend!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Friday Favorites St. Patrick’s Day Edition!My Profile

Kim February 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I don’t think it’s even that special of a deal at TJ’s–I always notice that their flowers are insanely cheap! Probably because it’s not really somewhere you’d go for flowers. I’ve never heard of Sprouts–must be the Cali equivalent of a grocery store we have?

I’m not allowed to go to Whole Foods, like, ever. :) haha. There was recently a local Groupon for $5 for $10 of stuff at WF and I just thought “now that is a recipe for disaster.” I’d come home with like $60 worth. :)

Hope you have a great weekend too!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I bought that Groupon! I’m there every week so I figured I’d at least save a few bucks. Although I’ll probably walk out of there with way more than I need! Whole Paycheck right!?!

cait @pieceofcait February 28, 2014 at 2:22 pm

oh lord, I love anthro.. this could be trouble. I always shop at Trader J’s! best selection :)

Kim February 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Yes!! Amazing for such a small store. The big draw for me are the prices. :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for the link love Kim!

I love Anthropologie! They have some awesome things and I’m psyched about their new activewear line. I seriously want all of it!

Annnd, $3.99 for flowers is awesome. What a deal!

Have fun with your mom this weekend!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Drool Worthy Pins #7My Profile

Kim February 28, 2014 at 2:59 pm

You’ll have to let us know if you buy any Anthro gear! I’d love to see what you pick out. :)

Yeah the 3.99 blew my mind. I was honestly staring at the screen in the checkout line waiting for it to ring up, still sure that something was marked wrong! For that price, I don’t even mind the fact that I’m buying flowers for myself. :) :)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hi!
Boulder just got a Trader Joe’s (finally!) and was definitely a highlight of my week :)
Thank you for mentioning my post!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted…The #1 Way I Stay OrganizedMy Profile

Kim February 28, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Thank you for writing it! :)

Woohoo Boulder!! To think that I complain just because we don’t have one ON MY SIDE of town… #spoiled