The path to a happy stomach = feet?

by Kim on July 11, 2013

Big, big, BIG news, guys.

…Well, maybe not that big, but I can’t resist a little drama.

I officially registered for my first ever blog conference!

HLS

I was thrilled when I first found out the location for this year’s HLS—it’ll be right next door in good old Minnesota, a simple drive away. It’s also a drive we’re very familiar with, since we have friends and family there, and we like to bop over and visit them all the time. (“Bop over” = a cute, completely inappropriate way to describe a 4.5 hour drive.)

Not only am I excited to join the ranks of the Conference-Going Bloggers (it’s like step 27 in the Legit Blogger Check List), but I’m also pumped to officially meet some of the lovely women I’ve gotten to know online, like Heather, Julie, and Katie.

So tell me: will YOU be there?

If so, let’s plan on getting a cocktail or 9 and becoming best friends. If not, what can I do to convince you otherwise??

In other news, I finally managed to log into my NASM online account (following a minor password snafu) and find their 75-day study planner. My plan is to start Monday and study 6 days/week, which should have me test-ready by mid-October.

75 days

So far I’m not a fan of their e-learning site (just kind of archaic-looking and unintuitive), but I guess I’ll get used to it.

I’ve been bopping all over the internet reading various advice posts from other bloggers who have been through the program, like Julie and Mary and Tina. There’s so much advice out there, it’s seriously overwhelming. BUT if you’re NASM-certified and have more tips for me, I’m still all ears!

Moving on to something you really care about, let’s discuss: my stomach! (Not my non-existent abs, but the organ.)

We have not been getting along lately, and I’m not entirely sure of the culprit (which means I’m blaming my go-to: hormones). My appetite randomly plummeted a few days ago, and everything I ate seemed to upset my finicky little system.

Last night, the situation escalated to new heights. I was babying the crap out of my stomach all day, eating extra clean and extra light and extra regularly, but it was still an angry, gurgly mess after dinner. I hit the treadmill, hoping a run would be soothing (I’ve had lots of stomachaches clear up post-run), but after a mile, I had to quit.

Which led me to Google this phrase: “yoga for stomach pain.”

yoga for tummy

(And to encounter this fine stock image, which I knew you’d want to see.)

One of the first hits was this Women’s Health article, which, interestingly, barely mentioned the stomach at all, and instead spent the whole article talking about feet.

As the article explained: “Learning to release anxiety at its base, in the feet, will ease the pressure your body is under while processing nutrients and in food.”

Following the article’s recommendations, I did both foot-focused poses (check out the article for instructions):

• Deep toe bend
  • Foot cross

Both were pretty darn uncomfortable, which I figured meant I was doing them right. I didn’t even care if it was a placebo—I was willing it to work and telling myself that it was working, either way.

The idea, at least with the foot cross, is to put tons of pressure on a certain acupuncture spot on your foot. This diagram shows the spot you’re aiming for to relieve stomach pain—right there at 11, under the padded part of the foot.

foot diagram

(source)

(Please disregard the creepy face on the middle toe. I mean, why?)

I stayed in both positions for a long time, and I honestly felt quite a bit of relief when I stood up. The pain wasn’t completely gone, but it was no longer the throbbing knife-stabs of earlier.

To make me feel like I actually kind of did a workout, I topped everything off with Tara Stiles’ relaxing pre-bed yoga sequence.

I’m feeling much better today—I think, largely, because I finished up some freelance work that was stressing me out. The weight I felt lift off my shoulders when I sent that baby out the door was almost tangible.

HLS 2013: WHO’S IN??

NASM vets: study tips, GO!

Future NASM vets: please step forward, so we can become study buddies.

Foot work as a stomach cure: are you on board or skeptical?

Julie July 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

So looking forward to meeting you in person!!
Julie recently posted…16 Summer Preserves to Try NowMy Profile

Shannon July 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

HLS is my first blog conference. I’m excited, see you there! Cocktails? Yes please!

Kim July 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Awesommmme!!! :)

char eats greens July 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I totally want to go to a blogger conference someday! Maybe after my little babe turns one and I won’t be as much of a freak to be near her haha
char eats greens recently posted…life with a 7.5 month oldMy Profile

Katie @ running4cupcakes July 12, 2013 at 7:03 am

I am so so so excited for HLS – and yes to a cocktail (or 9!). . . Looking forward to it. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Exceeding ExpectationsMy Profile

Kim July 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm

YAAAAAY!

Maybe 9 is a bit aggressive. We’ll play it by ear. ;)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome July 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I so want to go to HLS but since I did Fitbloggin I don’t know if I can swing it. Maybe I’ll try to get a sponsor… Would be fun!
I need to get on top of looking into NASM! I’ve heard such great things I think I just struggle with paying more for education after spending so much time and money on my college degree that I’m now not using. Ugh, what to do, what to do…
Would be awesome to have a study buddy though!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Munchkin Meals – Tricks for getting your kids to eat heathyMy Profile

Kim July 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Shoot, I wish you could come to HLS! I’d love to go to Fitbloggin someday, too–maybe we can meet there next year. :)

Totally hear you on the paying for education dilemma. But college is more of a life experience these days anyway, right? :) You still got lots out of it. And at least you don’t have to actually go back to school for another degree–this is just one test! If it’s your dream, I think you should definitely go for it. It can be very affordable, too, with their payment plan.

Presley @ Run Pretty July 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I always thought the middle toe was the weird one. Now I have proof.

I want to go to HLS buuut my drive would be 20 hours and I’m officially freaked out by planes now…
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Spirulina for my Struggles {Nutrex Hawaii Review}My Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup Of Kate July 11, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Yay, I am going to HLS too! If I dont run into you before in Madison, let’s for sure meet up there!
Katie @ Daily Cup Of Kate recently posted…My Favorite Runner StretchesMy Profile

Kim July 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Awesome Katie!! Looking forward to meeting you, one way or another! :)

Kim July 11, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Interesting stuff with the feet and yoga for stomach distress.
I’ve had stomach issues for years and finally started taking probiotics this past spring – huge improvement!! (still an occasional problem but not daily anymore)
Hope you find something that works.
Kim recently posted…Are you Scared of the Dentist?My Profile

Britt @ A Life Worth Living July 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m going to get NASM certified once I get the funds together!
Britt @ A Life Worth Living recently posted…Fourth of July ’13My Profile

Kim July 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Awesome!!! You probably already know this, but they do have an interest-free payment program. I’m paying $36/month. :)

Amy @ Writing While Running July 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm

The footwork sounds very much like traditional Chinese medicine (hence the acupuncture). While I have had some really good experiences with Chinese medicine, I have also had some pretty shady experiences (in China where there are plenty of shady places to go). I believe in the pressure points and stuff, though so it could be legit if someone really knows what they are talking about. Hope your stomach problems go away soon :(
Amy @ Writing While Running recently posted…Lemon the Tri-Dog!My Profile