The real problem and what I’m eating wednesday

by Kim on October 30, 2013

Here’s what my life looks like right now:


(…Except I’m not really that mad about it. Why is my resting face identical to my “I’m going to kill you” face??)

I mentioned on Monday that Mason hadn’t been acting like himself all weekend. At first, we chalked it up to a reaction to all the changes he’s going through—his first experience with daycare, a new schedule, new foods, etc. Then we started wondering about teething and the Terrible Twos. He’d been running a few low-grade fevers, too, so we swung by urgent care on Saturday just to make sure it wasn’t something more. He got the all clear.

Then, he continued to go downhill on Monday (coincidentally and confusingly, also day 1 of daycare), so we decided to take him in again on Tuesday. Brent wasn’t feeling well himself either, so he took the day off and handled the doctor’s appointment.

The updated diagnosis: a double ear infection. (His first!)

So that explains a lot. I’m guessing he had fluid in his ears for quite awhile, which was probably uncomfortable, but that he didn’t develop the actual infection until late in the game. Ugh.

Needless to say, the transition to daycare hasn’t been easy. There have been a lot of tears at drop-off (not from me, only because I haven’t been there for it), and sleeping and eating have both been a major struggle. (Although, apparently, he has been sleeping some, on his little mat on the floor at daycare—I honestly can’t even picture him doing it!)

So basically, the timing for the stupid ear infection could not be worse.

But when he hasn’t been resisting meals and naps, or crying at the door (poor kid), it sounds like he’s been loving daycare. There are so, so many more things for him to do and see there than at home, e-ver-y-thing is catered to his age-specific enjoyment and educational needs, and I’m still confident that he’s going to settle in soon.

My chin is still up, in other words, and I hope his is, too.

So as I was flipping through the pictures on my phone today, looking for some blogging fodder, I realized that I’ve been taking a lot of (bad) pictures of food lately. I guess food consumption as a working mom vs. a SAHM seems so new and exotic to me (?).

I’m not a regular What I Ate Wednesday participant (partially out of laziness, and partially because my eating habits are generally way too boring and predictable for something like that), but since I have so many food pics to offload and it happens to be Wednesday, I thought I’d do a little modified WIAW.

Here are some of the things I’ve been eating lately, as a fresh new working mom…

The first thing I do in the morning is make coffee, so I can drink a mug on my commute. I flavor it with agave nectar, which is surprisingly mega-sweet and awesome:


I struggle to make time for breakfast as I’m trying to rush out the door, but luckily, we have a fully stocked kitchen at work, and someone washes the dishes for us every night.

So today, I just brought my granola and almond milk into work instead, making for a much more leisurely breakfast. (And one less dirty dish at home—sorry, whoever cleans the kitchen at work…)


These guys are a perfect mid-morning snack, especially when paired with a second cup of coffee:


I originally bought those because they reminded me of the AMAZING Biscoff cookies you get on Southwest flights (anyone??), but to be completely honest, the airline ones are somehow even better than TJ’s. (I promise it’s not just because my airline standards are super low and my TJ’s standards are sky high—although that is true.)

Lunches have been either leftovers or something from my new TJ’s frozen foods collection:

042 (2)

Seriously, $2.99 a pop (ish) and you have lunch. It’s just hard to beat.

Paired with a 19-cent TJ’s banana or two…or seven…

043 (2)

(We’re not that into bananas, really—I’m waiting for them to ripen up so I can freeze them for smoothies.)

Every afternoon, I can’t wait to bust out one of these:


This is my new favorite flavor, and I’m not sure I’ll ever touch another one again.

And for an afternoon snack, some homemade date balls:


These are my own concoction, but there are literally endless energy ball recipes out there to choose from these days. (I’ll share my go-to recipe soon!)

As promised, I’ve been trying to get friendly with the crock pot. The chicken I made on Monday was a C+ at best (which led to me doing all kinds of crazy things to try and doctor it up), but tonight’s pot roast turned out pretty darn good, I thought.


I’m not sure if it’s possible to take an appetizing picture of a pile of pot roast and veggies. If it is, I certainly don’t know how it’s done.

I tried a little harder with my mini corn muffin tower.


Ha. And now you know reason #3 that I never do WIAW’s: nonexistent photography skills.

So that’s what’s been on my plate lately—literally and figuratively. (How does that one sit with you?)

Also, have you seen this video yet? It’ll make you never want to touch your smartphone again.

…for about 7 seconds, and then you’ll grab your smartphone.

Hope you’re having a great week!

What’s something new-to-you that you’ve been eating lately?



{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness November 1, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Oh your poor boy! Ear infections are the worst – and double ear infections are hell. I’m so sorry you’re going through that. Don’t feel sad about daycare – it’s good for him to get socialized without you! It takes a little while for them to get used to the change in routine and time away from mommy but it does happen! <3
Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness recently posted…Getting into CrossFitMy Profile


char eats greens November 1, 2013 at 11:04 am

I think my neutral face is more of a “why so sad” but probably bordering on wanting to kill someone as well lol. Those veggie samosas reminded me of what I’m having for lunch (thanks husband for stocking some up in the fridge for me!).

Hope M’s ears clear up quickly. That is totally not cool. I’ve had so many ear infections in my life, that I just can relate. That pain is just so interfering with being able to enjoy anything. Ugh!
char eats greens recently posted…my short-term long-term goalsMy Profile


Ali October 31, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I hope he feels better soon! Have you tried garlic oil for his ears at all?
Ali recently posted…The Birth Stories – Courtney’s BirthMy Profile


Katie @ running4cupcakes October 31, 2013 at 10:05 am

I am so glad that you took him in again to make sure nothing was up – we have had a ton of ear infections – Luke even had to have tubes put in – so I know how that goes and it is no fun. And what awesome timing. . . hang in there! It will get better!! And when Mason comes home with cute little crafts that he “made” – it will melt your heart. In other news – someone does your dishes at work, ummmm are they hiring any doctors right now? ;)


Amanda October 31, 2013 at 8:26 am

Southwest’s cookies are the BEST!!! Hope Mason feels better soon!


Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy October 31, 2013 at 12:30 am

I hope your little guy feels better soon. Ear infections are the worst! The only thing that is new-to-me that I have been eating lately is oat flour. I’ve known about it, but I haven’t baked with it until a month ago and I love it!
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…WIAW – What I Have Been Craving…My Profile


Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome October 30, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Oh no poor Mason! That definitely explains a lot! Hope he is better soon and keep your head up! It will get better :-)
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…What I Ate During My Whole 30!My Profile


Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

Previous post:

Next post: