The weird day and an arm burnout workout

by Kim on March 19, 2014

Yesterday was a weird day.

First, one of those inevitable parenting events happened: Mason woke up in a crib full of puke. (Sorry for the visual.)

He seemed fine–fever-free and chipper–but we weren’t sure of the daycare’s protocol and I wanted to see how he handled breakfast, so we kept him home. (Well, Brent did–my lack of PTO meant I was still going to work. It’s times like those when I really miss my SAHM days!)

Then I had a busy day at work, but was secretly stressing out about personal things the whole time. We’re traveling to Minnesota this weekend to watch some of the March Madness tourney with friends and to celebrate Mason’s 2nd birthday with family, so my mind was consumed with thoughts of all the laundry, packing, and errands I have to take care of before then. So there was that, combined with a couple opportunities and side projects that are on my mind right now.

Anyway, I got home exhausted, and ended up falling asleep on the couch instead of doing the bazillion productive things I was supposed to do. Then, by bedtime, I was so stressed out thinking about the time I’d just lost that I COULDN’T SLEEP (after being SO TIRED a few hours earlier). I mean, come on, universe!

I ended up reading Gone Girl in the living room until almost 2 AM. (Really interesting book so far–honestly, I probably wouldn’t have time to read it if it weren’t for these insomnia spells I keep having, so I guess I should be grateful?)

Needless to say, I’m toast today. Really counting on the awakening my kombucha promises.

20140317_143230

Since I’m into trying (and failing at) new things lately, I thought I’d go for the grape chia flavor this time. Yes, it has chia seeds floating in it, and yes, it is weird.

It’s not quite what you might think though (or at least, what I thought). You can’t really tell the seeds are in there–they’re all wrapped up in cozy kombucha gel, so they slide right down the throat and the whole thing just tastes thicker.

In other foodie news, I was on the hunt for yogurt at the grocery store yesterday and went with this new-to-me choice:

20140317_143208

Lavendar-flavored! It was exactly what you’d imagine (if you’re imagining good things).

In addition to the complaints and random food pictures, I also have a workout for you today! This is a short arm circuit I’ve been playing around with for a few days.

The idea is to burn out your muscles with moderately heavy weights and then to switch to light weights so you can push them even further. Sounds fun, right?? :)

Heavy Light

Follow the color coding to guide your dumbbell swaps. The first portion of the workout is done standing–the last four exercises are on the floor/a mat. If you don’t have light weights, canned foods work just fine too!

For reference: Bent-over tricep extensions (If you feel any pain in your lower back, tilt up a bit–a 45ish degree angle is plenty)

Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food March 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Yay for Minnesota :) Say hi to me as you drive by Woodbury if you’re taking 94!
I hate when I have so much to do and I just stress or sleep instead of getting it done!!!! And hopefully you stop having these insomnia spells!
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Sweet Potato Nachos & A TreatMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome March 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Oh no poor Mason! And poor you for waking up to that. No fun! Have you tried the Trilogy Kombucha yet? It’s my favorite!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…WIAW – Hotel LifeMy Profile

emma @ be mom strong March 19, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I had that happen with Gentry about a month ago. Put her down to sleep and then walked by around 9PM to the smell of puke. She had fallen back asleep in it! Ok really bad visual. Sorry!
Hope everything’s ok!
emma @ be mom strong recently posted…NYC Half RecapMy Profile

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate March 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Love upper body workouts- can’t wait to try this one! Have you tried the Kombucha Enlightened Gingerade flavor? It’s sooo good.
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Vegas Recap Day 3 & 4My Profile

Caroline March 19, 2014 at 1:19 pm

What a way to start the day! Yikes! Hope all is well :)
Caroline recently posted…I PASSED!!! {Clinical Mental Health Counseling Exam}My Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 19, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Oh gosh, what a way to wake-up in the morning! Poor Mason! At least he was happy and chipper when you found him.

I love that kombucha drink! I’ve had the raspberry chia. It’s SO good!

I can’t wait to try out that arm burnout! It looks like a good one!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #36 – Non-Traditional PizzaMy Profile

Kim March 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

There’s a raspberry version??? Dang I didn’t see that! :)

Kim March 19, 2014 at 11:10 am

I hope that Mason is well since y’all are fixing to take a trip – no fun with a sick kid! We love going to the NCAA tournament – wish we would have planned better this year!
The arm workout looks good – I can already tell it will leave me shaky!!
Kim recently posted…Learning to Let GoMy Profile

Britt @ A Life Worth Living March 19, 2014 at 11:09 am

Oh man do I sympathize about the sleep issue. I’ve been doing the same thing, taking a nap during the day, and then when I go to sleep I think about all the stuff I should have been doing during my nap which doesn’t make for a good sleep. Then the next day I’m so exhausted I can’t get anything done…vicious circle
Britt @ A Life Worth Living recently posted…WIAW: St. Patrick’s DayMy Profile