Thoughts on Fed Up

by Kim on September 23, 2014

Hey guys! Thanks for your comments on my new series yesterday. I had so much fun putting the first post together, and I have sooo many ideas for future ones…can’t wait!

Look what we have around here…

20140922_184840

The first red leaves are hitting the ground, just in time for the official beginning of fall. Womp womp.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE fall just as much as anyone else, but it’s always bittersweet for me. Not only is my beloved summer over—and, I’ll admit, I feel slightly “cheated” out of this one since I was pregnant the whole time—but also, mostly, there’s the fact that on the other end of fall is The Season Which Must Not Be Named.

Every year, I have big ideas to embrace winter. My primary idea: learn how to snowboard (skiing would work too) so I can go on sweet weekend ski trips, and most critically, hang out at rustic chalets with stone fireplaces.

And idea #2, which is maybe slightly more feasible: find the perfect white winter sweater. Like a curl-up-on-the-couch-while-also-looking-super-put-together kind of sweater. Soft, not itchy, tunic length and form-fitting, not too thick or thin, machine washable…I talked about this last year too, and it never happened. Anyone have any leads??

So who knows, maybe this year will be different. I also have a toddler who’s finally old enough to appreciate sledding, so that will force me outside a bit more than usual.

Speaking of that toddler, when did he stop being a toddler and become this short MAN?

20140922_185006

Maybe he just needs a haircut. I kid you not, I cut that mop 2 weeks ago.

In other news, have you seen Fed Up yet? We rented it recently, and I wasn’t disappointed.

fed up

To be fair, I think I liked before I saw a second of it, just because I care about the topic and I kind of knew what they were going to say.

Here’s a basic summary:

–Dietary fat is not the bully some people still see it as. The research that led our country to that conclusion decades ago was wrong.

–Sugar is responsible for the obesity epidemic.

–A calorie is NOT a freaking calorie. (It was too good to be true anyway, wasn’t it?)

–When companies create low fat foods, they make up for the difference in taste by pouring in extra sugar. And so, as our country tried to limit our fat intake, we just got fatter.

–Families are trying to eat healthier, but they’re not sure how. One example: opting for Lean Pockets instead of regular Hot Pockets…

–School lunches are a complete mess. Horrifically under-funded and even more horrifically unhealthy. (I had no idea some school cafeterias actually have fast food chains like McD’s IN them—!)

–Even if kids are educated about healthy food choices, what kid is going to opt for the slimy-looking salad bar when he can get pizza or a burger?

–The government has zero control of the situation, thanks to years of ignorance and way too much dirty money floating around (think: clever sponsorships by processed and fast food companies).

Of course, there were also personal stories woven into the info and commentary. One particular overweight teenage girl just completely broke my heart. Despite trying and trying to lose weight, she never saw progress, couldn’t figure out what she was doing wrong, and just seemed completely hopeless. As if high school isn’t hard enough, right?

The end of the documentary challenges viewers to try cutting sugar for 10 days. Although it’s obviously a positive idea, I think people might underestimate how hard this is. We’re not just talking no cake and ice cream, we’re talking NO SUGAR. Once you start looking for sugar in things—checking for one of its bazillion different names on food labels—it’s amazing (and horrifying) to find out how rampant it is.

Personally, I think the no sugar challenge is way too aggressive as a first step for the general population. No soda, maybe, or no “treats,” but no sugar, period? I can see people getting overwhelmed and giving up after a few days. If that’s what eating healthy is like, then no thank you! Right?

I mean, I consider myself a fairly healthy eater, and I’m far from sugar-free. I think there’s room for sugar (ideally, natural sugar) in a healthy, balanced diet.

To me, it feels like trying to run a marathon before you’ve run a mile. I don’t know, am I crazy??

What do you think of the 10 day no sugar challenge?

If you’ve seen Fed Up, what did you think?

Winter: love it or hate it?

If you love it, give me your winter survival tips! (I need the chalet, right??)

Katie @ running4cupcakes September 24, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Oh man, no sugar is TOUGH. When I do an AdvoCare challenge, that’s part of the clean eating. And once you start looking at labels, it is EVERYWHERE. I mean, my favorite salsa even – WTF? It was actually really eye opening and now I make some things myself just so it won’t have the added sugar in it – within reason, I mean working full time + a 2 year old doens’t leave too much extra time. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Fall Clothing Wish ListMy Profile

Danielle September 23, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I agree that something like 10 days without treats sounds like a better idea. No sugar at all sounds like a BIG step. Just cutting out treats for me would be a tough 10 days.

I’m also feeling a little bittersweet about the fall weather. I normally like fall, but to think that winter is coming… ahh! I’m not ready for the cold. Last year was so hard, and being at home this year I know I will have to make an effort to get outside with the girls more. And get creative about how to entertain them in the afternoons.
Danielle recently posted…Twosday FourteenMy Profile

Angie @ Pint of Goals September 23, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I agree that “10 days without sugar” is too difficult for most people – it’d be basically like doing Whole30. Sharing the information you bulleted is a better start IMO. It’s hard for some people to wrap their brains around the fact that they’ve been lied to for so long about food.
Winter…ugh. Fingers crossed it’s not as horrible as last. At least this year my LO will be old enough to do more things. Any suggestions for a 15 month old in the Madison area?
Angie @ Pint of Goals recently posted…Finley Photo Dump vol. VIIIMy Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 9:58 pm

OH you live in Madison too?? I’m sure you’re already familiar, but I check Hulafrog all the time for kid activity ideas. It has all the open gym times, library story hours, etc. We’ve been going to a great story hour at Barnes and Noble West Towne on Tuesday mornings–highly recommended! The website madisonwithkids.com is great too. I’ve been wanting to check out that new place called Seventeenth Radish too–some really cool looking classes for kiddos!

char eats greens September 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I reeeeally want to watch that movie too, and I totally agree with your sugar statement. I think it’s unrealistic to cut out sugar all together, and as someone who also feels like they eat pretty healthy, I don’t want to cut out sugar altogether. It’s the balance I need in my diet, and I never see sugar as an evil because I’m not eating it at every meal! Well, thank you for encouraging us to rent it. Enter in: sometime this week! haha
char eats greens recently posted…finding your dress styleMy Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I’d *like* to cut out sugar for awhile, just to see how my tastebuds/cravings would change, but I know I’d have to be SUPER committed and I’m just not there yet mentally. :)

You have to rent it!! A lot of stuff you already know, but an interesting perspective with lots of focus on schools and the role of the government. (Although, ermm, I guess it’s not your government…haha…)

Giselle September 23, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I wish Ayden’s hair grew that fast! His grows so slow and has NO style to it. It’s horrible!

I haven’t seen Fed Up yet but know I’ll love it. As I’m sure you know I don’t do any sugar besides dates, honey, coconut sugar, maple syrup and every once in awhile stevia. I think that if the average American made the switch to these natural sweeteners and cut out the rest they would notice a difference without having to be 100% sweetener free. Even though they are still sweeteners and won’t completely help those addicted to sugar to get over their cravings they are definitely a healthier option :-)

On another note I’ve been such a slacker on the little package I wanted to send you! there was a time in my life when I was so on top of these things. Obviously pre-kid. Anyway, I’ll get it out soon :-)
Giselle recently posted…Celebrating Placer Grown at Wise VillaMy Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I was surprised the website for the challenge said no natural sweeteners either–I agree that it would make such a difference even with those still in the diet! I think they should have some stepping stone options, rather than one big aggressive challenge like this.

Aw don’t worry at all about the package…you’re so sweet, but I don’t want to have anything to do with adding stress to your life right now!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate September 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I hear you on the winter sweater ordeal- I have been keeping an eye out on Ruelala.com for a keeper but haven’t had much luck yet. And I have been wanting to watch Fed Up but now I am even more intrigued to watch it- thanks for the review/recap!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…We’re Married!My Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Let me know if you have any luck in the sweater department!!

Heather @fitncookies September 23, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Totally not crazy! I think it’s too much to handle for a lot of people, and that “all of nothing” mentality sets them up for failure. You don’t want people to see failure when trying to make better choices for their life. We need to open eyes about the ingredients and change what ingredients go into foods we eat all the time.
Heather @fitncookies recently posted…Tempo Run: How do you do it?My Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Agreed! At least people would probably learn a lot from the label reading, but I’m not sure how many people would actually be able to successfully do the challenge. We need baby steps!

Erin September 23, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I did 30 days no sugar (except fruit juice). It was hard, but worth it. It was part of the whole30 challenge. It definitely changed my palette for the better and made me aware of how sugar (and syrups) are in everything! It is ridiculous!

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I know, it’s depressing! Good for you for making it through that! I’m super intimidated by Whole 30. :)

Katie September 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I totally agree that NO sugar in any form can be extremely aggressive, even for the people who are already “healthy” and working toward being healthier. But I get the point–sugar is SO addictive that in order to break that cycle, you need to detox completely. Even just slightly cutting back keeps it in your system so much that it’s easy for your brain to take over and demand more. But I do have to say, I’m fairly healthy and I attempted Dr. Hyman’s 10 Day Detox and I failed miserably haha.
Katie recently posted…Funkin’ FridayMy Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Haha seriously, I don’t know if I could do it either! It would be nice to see what it feels like to be totally detoxed though…maybe someday I’ll give it a shot. :)

Katie September 23, 2014 at 3:47 pm

When you find that sweater let me know! I had a decent light heather gray (almost white but hid dirt) from old navy last year (or two years ago?) but its showing wear now.
Katie recently posted…Personal Attendant: Dress OptionsMy Profile

Kim September 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I’ll definitely report back. :)