Tis the season and my 90-year-old moment

by Kim on December 15, 2013

Here’s the real reason for the season folks:

20131215_114144

Juuust kidding…but it’s really good. (The Peppermint Mocha Coffeemate creamer is still my #1 though.)

Then there’s this new-to-me gem:

20131215_113945

So smooth and tasty…plus, I mean, a bright-eyed, Christmas-light-decorated lemur? Marketing genius. Look at his cute little hands!!

I’m not a big Christmas cookie baker (or baker in general), but I did make some faux-truffle chocolate peppermint date balls over the weekend.

IMG_4017

Really happy with how they turned out! Recipe to come later this week. :)

I was so in the holiday spirit that I let Mason stay up late (we’re talking 8 O’CLOCK PM) to watch Disney’s Christmas Carol (aka the best version ever). His eyes were at half mast the whole time, but I’m sure he’d agree that it was worth it.

20131214_194736

(Please ignore my b*tchy resting face syndrome. I’m great at looking depressed when I’m actually very happy.)

Next on the kids’ show train: I watched The Little Mermaid during my run later that night. (It was ON TV, ok. There are just some things that, when on TV, must be watched.)

The rest of my weekend looked a lot like this…

20131214_135503

And this…

20131215_131015

Aka NASM study mania.

Here’s how I know I’m a visual learner:

20131215_133023

(I had to add a ponytail to the first stick finger to make it very clear which way she was looking. Ha.)

Yesterday, we went to church, and I was SO excited to sing Christmas songs…and then SO disappointed when they did these totally modernized, funkified versions of them (which sounded only barely like the originals, btw).

I’m all about modern music, and I love guitars/drums in church, but you just don’t mess with Christmas carols.

I know I sound 90, but I don’t care—it wasn’t the same.

Also, this is what happens when you try to get your toddler to stand next to the cute manger scene at church for a picture:

20131215_174155_LLS

I keep forgetting that anytime I’m trying to take a picture of him, I have to use the Sports setting for motion control.

What’s your favorite seasonal treat?

Christmas carols: traditional or modernized?

Have a great week!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 17, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Ahhh I LOVE the Peppermint Mocha creamer too. I jumped on it when I first saw it come out in the grocery store. Haha, I’m totally the same way when I’m just “resting” my face. I swear I’m not pissed at the world!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…My Christmas Wish ListMy Profile

Kim December 18, 2013 at 9:55 am

Haha exactly!

Presley @ Run Pretty December 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

8 is late for us, too. We are such ballers.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Dirty Santa Party and the Most Repetitive Week of My LifeMy Profile

karla @ finding my fit December 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

Two things I realized reading this: I need to get to Trader Joe’s to stock up on the holiday goods. And I need to make those peppermint truffles. Yumm.

Kim December 18, 2013 at 8:57 am

Yes and yes! :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome December 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Haha! Old lady! Just kidding. I feel the same way about Christmas music. I love baking during the holiday’s but have just been so busy I haven’t had a chance to do much. Looking forward to your recipe. Sounds delicious!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…MIMM – The Hubby’s Company Rocks and a Marvelous Giveaway!My Profile

Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles December 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I need my Christmas music to be traditional in church too. There is something about it that brings me back to when I was a little girl and going to church with my grandmother.
Carrie @ Eight Crazy Soles recently posted…Cold & Snowy Weekend RecapMy Profile

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine December 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I love that tea! I don’t have a Trader Joes by me so for Christmas my grandma always buys a few boxes for me so I have it all year-round :)

char eats greens December 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Mickey’s a Christmas Carol is my fave too!!! And I’m SUCH a visual learner/creating highlighter vomit on paper (I like using all the colours haha). At least you use stick (wo)men. I’ve never done that…yet! haha
char eats greens recently posted…new food and drinks on vacation: the verdictsMy Profile

Kim December 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

You don’t even KNOW how much I appreciate your appreciation for Mickey’s Christmas Carol. I was expecting pushback on that. Haha! I don’t typically give my stick figures a gender, but sometimes that ponytail comes in handy. :) And I’m not sure how people learned before highlighters!

Kim December 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I remember when we used to let the boys stay up “late” for special things – now we are often in bed before them!!! I don’t bake either. I’m not sure if I have a special seasonal treat – maybe I should find one!
Kim recently posted…Does Simple Count?My Profile

Kim December 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

So glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t get the holiday baking bug! I think part of the problem is that I hate making big messes. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes December 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Traditional Christmas carols all the way! Totally agree that I hate when they mess with them!