Truth time + adult Christmas is kind of lame

by Kim on December 17, 2014

Guys! I don’t think I’ve slacked off this much in the blogging department since…ever! I’ve been waiting for inspiration to strike, rather than “forcing” it, and so far, the result has been: a whole lotta nada.

I should feel guilty and stressed about it, but for some reason, I feel pretty darn happy. Liberated, even. I know this blogging thing is just a hobby, but it’s still hard work. And with two kiddos and a growing list of other side hobbies, I’m kinda maxed out on work right now.

20141213_114129

Task #1: keep big brother from smothering little brother with his constant, aggressive affection.

Don’t worry: I’m not leading up to an “I’m peacing out of blogging” announcement. That would feel like chopping off an arm. But there might be some changes incoming. I know I’ve mentioned wanting to spend time on more “permanent” projects, like exercise programs and e-books, and that’s a big part of it.

The other part is that I’m learning more about myself as a blogger. I’m coming to terms with what I like to write, and what I write because I think I should.

Daily life updates are a tricky area for me. I want to share that stuff, so you can see who I am, but I also get easily burnt out on all the picture-taking and the “here’s what I did yesterday” stories. Those work great for some people, and they’re definitely fun to read, but I have to be true to myself. What I really love to do is dig into deep life issues and topics—and, you know, talk about stuff I saw on Pinterest.

Another tricky area is sponsored posts. This is kind of an emotionally charged topic in the blogging world, so I don’t want to dive into it too much, but I will say that writing sponsored posts doesn’t always make me excited about blogging. And I want to be excited about blogging.

Anyway. I’m going to take a full break from blogging over the holidays and do some thinking about how things will look around here going forward. Stay tuned. :)

Meanwhile, I’d like to echo everyone else on the planet right now by saying: how—HOW—is Christmas in 8 days??

When I was 10, the month of December was about 47 times longer. And more exciting. And much, much kinder on the wallet.

Adult Christmas is so lame in comparison.

I mean, I try to save money. I had this bright idea to make Mason some DIY drums out of paint cans for Christmas (using this tutorial—cute right??), and it even looked pretty easy. But here’s the problem: I went to the craft store and somehow spent $25 on a measly piece of leather, some fabric, leather laces, and a hole punch. AND THEN (don’t ask me why I didn’t do this part first), I did a little search on Amazon and found an adorable bongo drum for $22—which, of course, would be higher quality, made for me, and on my doorstep in two days.

So yesterday, I returned the craft supplies and bought the Amazon drum. DIY fail!

And yet, even after all that, I STILL can’t stop swooning over DIY ideas. Like, I’m dying to try these DIY painted mugs. And these glitter magnets (even though I’m terrified of glitter). And how cute is this camera strap out of a scarf??

I seriously don’t know what to do with myself.

Anyway, back to Christmas. We’re changing things up a little this year by staying home on Christmas Eve/Day, so we can celebrate as a little family of four before visiting the extended fam. I’m really excited to just relax and enjoy the holiday without the stresses of traveling and dealing with overtired kids. Plus, it’ll save us the hassle of having to transport gifts to grandparents’ houses just to bring them back home. :)

Since it’s our first Christmas “on our own,” in a sense, I feel inspired to start some new holiday traditions. I’m thinking of really simple things, like watching a Christmas movie on Christmas Eve, or pancakes on Christmas morning…

Any {easy} holiday tradition ideas for me?

Have you done any DIYing lately?

Hope you’re having a great week!

xo

Miranda December 18, 2014 at 3:42 pm

You can totally do the mugs! Suuuper easy! I did some as Christmas gifts this year! Although warning you need Oil Based Sharpies which can run almost $4 each so use those craft store coupons to buy those. Also if you mess up while doing the mug just remove the mistake with some rubbing alcohol on a q tip/cotton ball. I even just bought cheap mugs from Crate & Barrel for $2 each :) you got this!

Kim December 19, 2014 at 11:32 am

Thanks for the encouragement, and the tips!! That helps a lot! I think I’m going to give it a shot this weekend. :)

Wow, Crate & Barrel has mugs for $2??? I was going to try the dollar store! haha.

Jen@jpabstfitness December 18, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Super cute boys! My 4th was born in April and I’m constantly trying to keep the 6 year old from treating her too rough, he is trying to love her, but as I had to point out the other day when a stuffed animal hit her in the face…she’s too little for “think fast.”
Jen@jpabstfitness recently posted…Emma {8 Months}My Profile

Kim December 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

Hahaha!

Yeah, it’s tough because I don’t want to TOTALLY discourage the loving, but we do need some boundaries. I can just see my son thinking “how do I play with this kid?”

Giselle December 17, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Joshua looks a little scared of big brother in that picture! Mason must just adore him! Hoping The Love Nugget has the same admiration for his younger sibling whenever they arrive :-)
Once we had him, we decided to stay home Christmas Eve/Christmas morning and celebrate as a family. After opening gifts in the morning though we’ll be headed north to my husband’s family then back down to our house to host Christmas the day after with my family. It’s always busy but fun!
Giselle recently posted…What WE ate WednesdayMy Profile

Kim December 19, 2014 at 11:36 am

The Love Nugget is going to be a great big bro someday!!! :)

Yes, so excited to have our own little celebration this year. This way, if the kids are monsters when we’re traveling post-Christmas, I won’t have to feel sorry for myself because all the stress is “ruining” my Christmas.

char eats greens December 17, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I have NO idea what our holiday traditions will even be anymore. I’m just going to roll with the punches this year, and then reassess next year! I definitely have changed my blogging style. I’m not a “blog about life every post” like I used to be (I find it super weird now and don’t know how to transition through my days anymore- I’ve lost touch with smooth transitions apparently?), but I don’t know what my post style should be. C’est la vie! Good thing I’m launching a new blog soon to just mess things up even more. Just come to me if you ever need blogging advice haha!
char eats greens recently posted…Getting Back on TrackMy Profile

Kim December 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

We actually love to be at home (just the 4 of us) for Christmas. We often have friends over on Christmas Day but if we are doing any extended family stuff we do it on a different day – it works for us.
Kim recently posted…My Year of Running 2014My Profile

Caroline @ The Little Things Blog December 17, 2014 at 7:07 pm

We buy mini pizzas and have that for lunch on Christmas (our big meal is dinner), and I look forward to that every year. We also have cinnamon rolls for breakfast every Christmas. On Christmas eve we go to church, watch a Christmas movie, and read the Christmas story- every year. I love it.
Caroline @ The Little Things Blog recently posted…Peace On Earth- When Holidays Don’t Feel Joyful…My Profile

Amanda December 17, 2014 at 4:06 pm

We’ll miss you guys on Christmas (I was definitely looking forward to driving matchbox cars all over every surface of the house with Mason), but I can’t say I blame you for wanting to stay home and do your own thing. It will be so nice to have your own little family Christmas and not have to travel anywhere.

My family had the tradition of making homemade pizza for lunch on Christmas day. Santa used to know that we were going to do that and always brought us bottled IBC root beer. :-)

I’ve done quite a bit of DIYing lately, mostly sewing. I’ve sewed about 6 infinity scarves for Christmas gifts, and I sewed a bow tie for my brother. After we fly back from Minnesota, we are going to start a big DIY project…renovating our bathroom!
Amanda recently posted…Summer HappeningsMy Profile

Katie December 17, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Full support on the blogging when inspired, and not the daily posts. I don’t know that I’m reading any “this is what I did yesterday” blogs anymore.

My family usually does appetizers and soup for dinner on christmas eve. We just lounge around chatting after church (we open presents before church). Christmas day we travel to my mom’s side of the family and have the “big meal” similar to thanksgiving dinner (although usually not turkey).

I avoid crafts as much as possible. I find its better to do crafts that I know I can throw…if its something I’m supposed to use multiple times, i try to find a purchased option instead.
Katie recently posted…Moscato Christmas SangriaMy Profile