Weekend scenes + new fitness gear

by Kim on June 4, 2013

Heya friends!

I’m back from a long weekend of traveling. Well, mentally, I’m only partially back, which is why I’m going to let the pictures do most of the talking in this post.

We spent the weekend visiting friends in Minnesota, doing all the things friends do. Eating tacos…

20130601_131333

20130601_125825

(That’s fish, shrimp, pulled pork, and beef—AMAZING.)

…Hanging out on the deck (between annoying rain showers)…

20130601_142029

…Making bets on NBA games (and formally signing on them)…

20130601_173645

…and ordering super over-the-top drinks (we went to a funky tropical restaurant called Psycho Suzi’s).

20130601_200347

Meanwhile, the little dude got to hang out with Grandma and get totally spoiled.

20130603_124356

20130603_124520Grandma, son, and grandson.

On Sunday, I found myself within 2 miles of a Home Goods and obviously had to stop. I didn’t have much luck in the HG department, but then somehow drifted over to the activewear section of TJ Maxx and…well, you know the end of that story.

I ended up with these gems:

20130604_093250

Can’t resist the bright color trend! My first ever thin-strap sports bra and a long tank in the shape I’ve found I like the best—only $10 apiece.

Plus some shorts with (surprisingly deep!) pockets and a wide, tight waistband (I haaate it when shorts ride up).

20130604_093153

I loved the little ruffle detail on these, and I’ve had my eye out for pockets lately (ever since I met a woman at the Madison Marathon expo who was wearing these amazing deep-pocketed capri leggings from—of all places—Calvin Klein).

I wouldn’t trust my phone in these pockets or anything (which is my ultimate goal), but they’re perfect for things like chapstick and tissues (nothing is more annoying than a runny nose on a run, and I’m no skilled farmer’s blower).

Best part: the ruffle continues on the back!

20130604_093212

I also got a new yoga mat for $10. My current one is way too thin (tough on the knees!), which is something I hadn’t realized would be so important to me.

20130604_103427

I’ll let you know how this one goes!

And one final purchase: this handheld water bottle from Fuel Belt for $5.99.

20130603_105136

I figured it would be great for shorter runs, when I don’t really want to commit to taking my big, bulky water belt, but I’d still like to have some emergency H20 on me.

20130603_105143

I tried it out yesterday on a short run at my in-laws’, and it was perfect! Even better than I’d hoped. It was really comfortable on my hand and easy to pop open & drink from without stopping. (Plus—bonus—another pocket!) Highly, highly recommended.

While I was bumming around, I also had to stop by the local Hy-Vee, since they always seem to have much cooler stuff than ours. It didn’t disappoint.

I’ve been looking everywhere for some Cheerios knockoffs that Mason can actually eat (no wheat, soy, egg, milk, etc.). Finally: success! I was seriously shocked—I probably read the label sixteen times.

20130604_104916

I also grabbed a dairy-free mac and cheese to try, along with this pancake mix (which I later realized called for eggs in the instructions—oops—but I’m thinking I might try it with a flax egg).

I also encountered something that blew my mind a little bit:

20130602_201043

Calorie free dressing?? How is that possible??

Yesterday, we headed back to Madison, and since I realized I didn’t have a single picture of myself from the whole weekend, I took this horrible selfie in the car for you:

20130603_125757

You’re welcome/I’m sorry.

About 2.5 hours into the 3.5 hour trip home, Mason was getting pretty restless, so we stopped at an outdoor outlet mall in Wisconsin Dells to let him run off some energy.

20130603_153230

He LOVED it.

And I thought I showed pretty good restraint by only buying one thing—a shirt from The Children’s Place for his upcoming (belated) one year pictures. (I did walk into Under Armour as part of my ongoing pocketed-leggings hunt, but I bailed out of there fast when I didn’t see any.)

Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

Presley @ Run Pretty June 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

TJ Maxx is the best for finding workout clothes. Ryne finds a ton of men’s Nike stuff in there. It’s like… what are people buying in there if they are skipping over that?! I love the little “gear” section, too. If you sort through the Shake Weights and other junk, you can find some great things. ;)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted…Running Club UpdateMy Profile

Kim June 5, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Haha so true about the shake weights. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes June 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Where in MN were you?? I have never been to that taco place, it looks super yummy though!

Kim June 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

St. Paul! It was ridiculously yummy. :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

What a fun weekend! It’s always nice to get away for some kid free time :-) I love finding deals! I always find great workout clothes at TJ Maxx and Marshall’s. I just found a kettlebell for $16 the other day! Score! I have a hand strap water bottle holder that I love!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Currently I’m obsessed with this Paleo Bread!My Profile

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Gotta love great deals on running apparel! Sounds like you had a great adult-only weekend. So jealous!

Kim June 4, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Adult-only weekends are such a treat! I think you’re due for one too. :)

Kim June 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend!! And, that drink is crazy!!!
I think I need to make a trip to TJMaxx soon!!
Kim recently posted…The BeachMy Profile

Kim June 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm

The drink was ridiculous! WAY too sugary, too, but it was more about the experience than the taste, obviously. :)

Erin June 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm

So, Elin’s dr. recommended a dairy free diet for a while and the mac n cheese should not be allowed to call itself mac n cheese! Neither child liked it. Hopefully Mason isn’t as picky!

Kim June 4, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Haha! Well I’ve given him Amy’s brand mac and “cheese” (<-- quotes warranted for multiple reasons) and he goes for that, even though I think it's revolting. So we'll see. Luckily, he's never been introduced to the real thing--poor kid. Elin's not allergic is she??

Erin June 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I don’t think she’s truly allergic, just sensitive right now. She’s always been gassy and had some BM issues, that worsened once we switched to milk. So, now I’ve cut it all out and as much gluten as possible too. Ugh. It is hard. Especially since her brother can tolerate and LOVES dairy.

Jessica Sesvold June 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

That outlet mall in the Dells is the best! We almost always stop there on our way up north. The restrooms even have nursing chairs – great if you are nursing a baby and don’t want to sit in your car anymore!

Kim June 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Yes! I’ve totally done that! Usually it’s hard to convince Brent to stop at a mall, but this time it was necessary. :)

Amy @ Writing While Running June 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Awe, what a fun family weekend. I am totally inspired to hit up TJ Maxx now! Glad you got a good hand held water bottle. I have had mine for a few years and it always seems to leak, though I have no idea where the water is coming from!
Amy @ Writing While Running recently posted…Running and Training at AltitudeMy Profile

Kim June 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Hm, that’s no good! I hope that’s not a trend in handheld water bottles. Depending on what kind you have, I know you can sometimes buy replacement bottles separately, without buying a whole new thing.