Weekendry and a wing-it workout

by Kim on February 24, 2014

Hey friends! Hope you had a good weekend.

I just wanted to pop in to share a few pics from mine, along with a quick workout!

The major highlight of the weekend was, without a doubt, Mason’s new train set (from Grandma/us):

20140222_102100

Technically, it’s for his birthday, which is still a month way. But since the weather’s been so crappy and I feel so guilty keeping him trapped inside all day, we decided to unveil it a little early. Talk about a HIT.

20140222_102511

It did take us 3 hours to put together on Friday night (we = mostly Brent. Credit where credit’s due!) but Saturday morning was like Christmas. We actually draped a sheet over it so he’d eat breakfast/get dressed before the playfest began.

When he wasn’t playing with the train set, he was all about books. He’s still so, SO obsessed.

20140223_103508

Current fav is Goodnight Moon–he loves to be quizzed about every single object in there. (Where’s the mouse? Where’s the clock? Where’s the elephant?) He’s constantly surprising me with how many words he knows–including things I know I never taught him!

On Saturday, it was 25 degrees and we bravely tried to go outside.

20140222_174237

Big mistake.

It was so windy and cold that I ended up hiding in the garage half the time. Then, Mason dumped a bunch of snow down the front of his coat. Game over.

Yesterday, I was planning on writing up a new workout and then testing it during Mason’s nap, but I got sidetracked ironing and hanging curtains (again), doing laundry, and hanging things on the wall (home decor improvements = never ending).

So when I finally got around to working out, I decided to completely wing it. (Something I’ve never actually done before!) I had a vague idea in my head of what I wanted to do–some short bursts of treadmill running along with basic bodyweight strength training. Then, I decided to plan out the strength sections on the fly by picking one exercise from each of these groups: Legs, Arms, Balance, and Core.

This was the result (written up after the fact):

four and a quarter

Birddogs

Single leg deadlifts (weight/ball optional)

Russian twist

Pilates hundred

I might have to try that more often. The on-the-fly planning thing definitely kept me engaged and the time FLEW!

P.S. FETC (fast enough to count) is a totally made-up acronym I use when I can’t decide how fast to go on the treadmill. As long as it’s FETC (“fet-see,” haha), based on what my body feels like at that second, I’m happy with it.

What’s something you did over the weekend?

Are you a fellow dedicated workout planner or do you wing it often?

K

Ja @Ja on the RUN February 26, 2014 at 10:08 am

I love the train set! :) That looks so much fun! :) Where did they get it from? :)
Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted…20 Weeks! Halfway There!My Profile

Kim February 26, 2014 at 10:13 am

Just on Amazon. It’s the KidKraft Airport Express set. :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes February 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

whoa – that train table looks awesome! Luke’s fav book right now is goodnight moon too. We HAD to read it this morning first thing!

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Haha that’s so funny because it’s not even that creative/clever of a book, compared to everything else that’s out there. I mean, “goodnight nobody”? It’s SO effective as a going-to-bed book, though–when I get to those last pages and the lights are dimming, I always feel like I’m getting a little sleepy. That bunny looks so comfortable!! :)

GiGi Eats February 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

NEVER EVER do I wing a work out – they’re always engrained into my schedule, ha! That’s cuz I am a FREAK! And awww that car/road toy… Totally reminds me of when I was younger!!! MISS MY YOUTH!
GiGi Eats recently posted…Academy Award Winning AppetizersMy Profile

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food February 25, 2014 at 9:35 am

Sounds like a fun weekend!!! My weekend was super low key. Scott and I visited his brother, sister in law and niece and nephew. pretty low key but very fun. It was nice to have a weekend with no plans.
Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…First Nursing JobMy Profile

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I always find travel and being away from home stressful, in and of itself! But that sounds like a nice visit. :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 25, 2014 at 7:31 am

I love your workouts, so I’m always excited for a new one! Pinned this and can’t wait to give it a try!

Will you be posting any more yoga fit workouts by chance?
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…{Guest Post} Fitness and Lifestyle Trends of 2014My Profile

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Holly! I should totally do another one of those. Thanks for the motivation! :)

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 24, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Great workout! I love treadmill/Circuit workouts like that but don’t really have the space to do it at the new gym I go to. I need a treadmill :-) Glad the train table was such a hit!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Pretty Muddy Entry Giveaway and Paleo Sweet Tooth Winner!My Profile

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, it was definitely a selfishly planned workout, based on the things I have in my home gym. :) I doubt I would do something like this at the gym either. I’d be worried about losing my treadmill!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate February 24, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Oooh can’t wait to try that workout! We just got a treadmill in our basement but I find I get super bored staring at a wall running (compared to the gym where I get to people watch ha) so this would be perfect!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…My First Wildtree ExperienceMy Profile

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:16 pm

You got a treadmill?!?!?! That’s awesome!!! Loving it so far?

Carrie February 24, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Train tables are 2 year olds best friends! We love ours, and both boys 6 & 2 play with it all the time.
Carrie recently posted…He’s a Big Boy NowMy Profile

Kim February 24, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Oh, the train table is awesome. We used to have a train table – I can’t even tell you how many hours we spent building and rebuilding the track – fun times!
Kim recently posted…The Marathon from a Spectator’s Point of ViewMy Profile

Amanda February 24, 2014 at 4:49 pm

That is one awesome train table! We painted the entire main floor of our new house this weekend! :-) My workout planning level totally varies depending on what I’m doing. If I’m heading to the treadmill or for a run I almost always have a specified distance or time in mind…however, when I pull up POP pilates videos, I usually just see where they take me!

Kim February 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Nice job on the painting!! That’s dedication! Love the sun mural you did too, very impressive!

Amanda February 25, 2014 at 1:18 pm

We actually got rid of the sun mural – it was originally from when the house was built…a little too 70’s for our taste. :-p But I do hope to do some murals in the bedrooms that will eventually become children’s rooms.

Kim February 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Oh haha! I thought you guys made that, I was like WOAH.