What I’m working on

by Kim on August 8, 2014

When I told you I was quitting my job to become a stay-at-home mom again, I mentioned I was going to have a month of “free time” before Mason’s daycare contract is officially up and baby #2 arrives. (Kind of a nice coincidence that those things are happening around the same time.)

Then, I was super cagey about what I was going to be doing for that month (outside of “something fitness-y”).

Kim-1044 edit

HA, I’ve actually never posted this super cheesy picture before. It’s like a really dorky gym ad from the 90’s—just chillin’ with my yoga mat and weights! Come on down to Fit 4 U for a free consultation!

You’re more than welcome to laugh. I am.

Anyway—today, I’m finally ready to let you in on the full story of what I’ve been up to lately.

Here it is: for the past few weeks, when I haven’t been on mom duty, I’ve been writing a prenatal fitness program. (Did ya guess??)

For a long time, I’ve been wanting some kind of “product” to offer on my blog. Something I could point to and say, this is my THING. I couldn’t really decide what that thing should be until I got pregnant this time around and recognized a big old hole in the prenatal fitness arena.

There are plenty of prenatal fitness DVDs out there (although some of them are based on antiquated ideas about prenatal fitness), but there’s a definite shortage of quick, easy-to-follow written workouts, for us moms who are used to that style, don’t want/need all the hand-holding of a DVD, and/or want to work out in garages or backyards, or anywhere without DVD players.

Here’s what my program is all about:

–Variety. 9 months is a long time to do the same DVD over and over again! So far, I’ve written 23 totally unique workouts (none of which have appeared on the blog—yet!), and I have 8 to go. These include tonsss of strength and functional workouts, a yoga strength workout, some barre, prenatal boot camp, a gym workout, a walk/jog treadmill workout, and workouts that are designed to ease specific pregnancy symptoms (like back pain).

I’m also testing every workout myself, at 8-9 months preggo. (Which, by the way, is no joke. I’m getting tired just talking about it…)

–Efficiency. None of my workouts are over 30 minutes, and most are in the 10-20 minute range. The 10-minuters can be done either alone or back-to-back with other 10-minuters (the idea being that if you can convince yourself to work out for just 10 minutes, maybe by the time you’re done, you’ll be up for 10 more!).

–Pregnancy-safe without being TOO easy. It bothers me when prenatal workouts are just super dumbed-down versions of regular workouts. Pregnant women aren’t necessarily unfit, they just have a few extra limitations—and, in fact, there are some exercises they’d benefit from doing more of while pregnant.

–Targeting the right goals. Let’s face it: we preggos aren’t after six packs. When it comes to working out, we’re not in it for weight loss or muscle definition—no matter what we do, we know the number on that scale is going up. We just want to stay relatively active and healthy while pregnant, have quick, uncomplicated labors (as much as possible), and bounce back quickly postpartum. To get there, we can’t just do slightly tweaked versions of the stuff we used to do, when we had totally different goals.

So far, the workout writing/testing thing has been going fine, but anyone who’s ever written a workout before knows what the most annoying part is: the dang photography! I want lots of nice pictures of all the moves I’m including, so people know what I’m talking about, but it’s SUCH a pain to take them all, especially when I have no choice but to do it alone—just me and my trusty tripod.

IMG_4674

(That was actually a practice shot when I first got the tripod—imagine a preggo lady sprinting up that bridge to get into position in 10 seconds before the camera clicked, haha.)

Today, my photography plans were totally thwarted by a giant festival getting set up in the park I was hoping to use. Sooo it looks like photography is getting postponed until next week…aka my 39th week of pregnancy…

Yeah, I’m cutting things a little close here. I can’t say it hasn’t crossed my mind to wait a few months and then strap on one of those fake bellies from the maternity clothing stores. Think anyone would notice??

That way, I could go with a nice, perky little second trimester bump instead of this giant last-few-weeks one I’m hauling around right now.

Although maybe the ginormous belly will help get some of those “if I can do it, you can do it” sentiments going…?

Anyway, I’m still committed to getting this Thing done before baby shows up, assuming he cooperates and waits until his due date! A friend of mine who’s due a few days before me ended up having her baby last week, and that was a bit of a wake-up call for me. It’s tricky because having the baby right now would be both great and not at all great, for a variety of reasons…

Ugh, why can’t I just get my kicks from doing Pinterest projects like everyone else? (Oh, because I’m HORRIBLE at them.)

Fingers crossed for a punctual baby!

What’s something you’re working on right now?

Would you check out the gym I’m advertising in that pic?

(hahaha)

Happy Friday!

P.S. If you’re pregnant right now or hope to be in the next few months—I’ll be looking for workout testers soon! Let me know if you’re interested!!

Jenny August 11, 2014 at 9:13 am

Awesome, Kim! What a wonderful project. You will inspire many :)

Jessica @ Boun-See August 11, 2014 at 8:24 am

Wow, where were you 6 years ago and about 8 months ago? Lol. I have a really hard time with prenatal workouts as well. I hate when magazines design pregnancy workouts that are basically stretches and sissy stuff. I’m 34 weeks right now, so if you need a tester, I’m right here with you. I’ve also been thinking about filming a workout or two because of the lack of useful prenatal workouts on YouTube. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

Hope your pregnancy is going well Jessica! I’m not sure if I’ll have everything ready to go before you deliver, but if I do, I’ll definitely be calling on you for testing help! :)

Lindsey I August 10, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Love this! It has been great following along with you and this pregnancy since we were due about the same time. Yes, past tense ‘were due.’ My bambino made an early debut (3 weeks early!) So I hope your’s hangs in there until you get what you want accomplished. Looking forward to seeing what you have developed! And fingers crossed you will throw some postnatal stuff in there too… cuz now that’s where I am at. Ha! C-section specific couldn’t hurt ;) GOOD LUCK and many blessings!!!

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

Wow congratulations Lindsey!! Hope you & baby are doing great! Boy or girl??

Lindsey I August 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Baby girl! And I totally thought it would be a boy… ;)

Tiffany August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Awesome Kim! Super proud for you- this will be something a ton of women will use. I certainly struggled with the desire to workout but didn’t see the benefit of going to my gym anymore because the workouts weren’t really tailored for pregnant girls except to avoid certain routines. Sooo I did nothing! Ha!
Crossing my fingers for an on time baby!

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:28 am

Thanks Tiff! :)

Karla August 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I loooove this!!! I have been looking for something like this. To be honest all I have found is either hlb pregnancy workouts/eating plans that to me personally seem to come from women with eating disorders/over exercise issues or ones that are boring and outdated. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant so if you need a tester I would love to!

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:29 am

Awesome, thanks Karla!

char eats greens August 8, 2014 at 7:27 pm

This is so awesome and I think it’s a perfect match for you! I hope you can bust those pictures out before the baby clothes. I would so be the classy one switching out outfits to make it seem like I took pictures on separate days (that could be something worth pinning hahah)
char eats greens recently posted…where do i draw the {vegan} line?My Profile

char eats greens August 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm

OMG! Am I tired or what – “baby clothes” WTF?!??!? Ok, so just to clarify, I meant ‘baby comes’. I should probably shut my laptop now while I’m still semi ahead.
char eats greens recently posted…where do i draw the {vegan} line?My Profile

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

Haha funny you say that because I was specifically planning on wearing the SAME outfit every time so I could reuse pics for multiple workouts! Boom, out-lazied you! :)

Amanda August 8, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Cool stuff! You can bet I’m coming to you for fitness type stuff when I get pregnant…whenever that may be. :-) I’m not working nearly as diligently or as hard as you, but I’ve got a long-term goal of selling my burp cloths on an Etsy shop. Right now I’m still in the ‘product development’ stage, so I’d be really interested to hear any feedback you have when start using them! Have a great weekend!
Amanda recently posted…Kitchen cabinets and a weekend with dad {renovation update #8}My Profile

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:31 am

That’s awesome! I’ll let you know how they go! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm

YAY! This is so awesome, Kim! I’m super excited for you. This sounds right up your alley! I can’t wait to try your program when I’m pregnant with #2 someday! Congratulations! xo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Friday Favorites: 08/08/14My Profile

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:32 am

Yaay!! :)

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West August 8, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Hi Kim! I think that is awesome! It’s a wonderful thing to find a need in the market and match your expertise to it. I’m actually planning to get certified in pre-post natal personal training next month, which should be great for me whenever I get pregnant one day. Best of luck to you!!
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Friday Favorites: Sushi, a game and serious pantsMy Profile

Kim August 11, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks Ashley! Who are you getting certified through? Just curious! :)

Katie August 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm

YES!!!!! Congratulations my dear, I think this will be a great option for you!
Katie recently posted…Run for the Dump 2014: Quarter MarathonMy Profile